Cracker recipe?

How can I get my diy into solid form? My diy is more savory than sweet, so a cracker would be ideal. Surprisingly, I haven’t found any recipes or topics with the specific idea I’m looking for.

Could I just pour it into a cookie sheet and bake at low temp? Should I use less liquid and try to make a dough to roll out? Baking soda in place of table salt? I know nothing about baking. I just thought it would be a conversation starter at a party.

Look at some of @isaackotlicky’s previous posts. He was a Soylent baking guru.

I’m actually really interested in this. I ordered some different flavorings from The Flavor apprentice, and they’re not all that great in liquid Soylent, but I have a feeling they’d be really really good in a cracker, especially if the extra salt was added to the tops of the crackers, like those “club” crackers.

Can we make some progress on this? Or any pointers on where to start?

After some preliminary research, I’ve found this that may work as an almost direct adaptation:

It calls for a little extra oil than the 2oz bottle holds, but you could supplement I suppose…

With little response and even less aptitude, I simply made a “dough” from my diy, pressed it into a pizza tray and baked at 200 degrees for several hours. I’m not proud of the result. The best that can be said is that around the edge, where the mixture was thinnest, it hardened into an edible “cracker”. Away from the edge, it failed to harden even after three hours. I ate it anyway (hate to waste food) and it provided the same energy that it does in its liquid state.

If I were to do it again, and I have no plans to, I’d use flat baking trays with no holes (what a mess those made), spread it as thin as possible, and expect to bake for many hours at this low temperature.

Being based on vegetable juice, my recipe necessarily makes a wet dough. You might have more success with a dry recipe adding minimal water. Good luck.

If I feel up to it, at some point this week, I’ll try to make some with Soylent 1.0.

Rob has mentioned that it’s heat stable, so no need to fear denaturing of anything. I’m just really excited to maybe have a “Pizza Flavor Blasted Goldfish” esque Soylent cracker. I think that’d be the ultimate snack food…

I take offense to that cracker remark! Just because I’m white doesn…Oh never mind…:slight_smile:

Hey what about a food dehydrator with some parchment or wax paper on the trays? Like the kind used to make beef jerky…

That might work. My recipe most likely isn’t heat stable.

I don’t have much use for a solid form. I suppose it could be helpful when travelling.

The stuff I made tasted terrible. I suppose because it was concentrated. The liquid form is pleasant tasting enough…

I looked at the recipe and tried it… had some of my mix (minus the milk, oil, cocoa, and xanthan gum) around anyway, took about a cup of it, 1/4 tsp xanthan gum, 1/4 cup water, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp canola oil (it’s what I use…), ended up adding almost 4 more Tbsp water, so like 1/2 cup total.

Kneaded the doughball, rolled it out on parchment paper on a pizza pan, baked at 400 for about 12 minutes (until it started to brown in the high spots). Ended up more flatbready, pizza crust-like than cracker (probably protein softening it), but good! Really tasty, could probably use a little more salt though. Ate the whole thing pretty fast, was feeling full just before the end.

I’ll probably experiment a little more, but it’d make a good pizza crust as is.

Thank you so much for being a guinea pig here. Gives me the confidence to potentially “waste” an entire day’s worth of official Soylent to see about the cracker making potential of it.

I’ll get around to it as soon as I can, and report back here.

Out of curiosity, what was the vinegar for? Why’d you add that?

The vinegar was in the linked recipe. Can’t say why, but it worked ok.