Creatine for Vegetarians

I imagine this has been addressed somewhere, HOWEVER, this is interesting: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201202/your-brain-creatine

My girlfriend is Vegetarian, so she hasn’t been using the supplemental oils. Now, I’ve seen that the algae produces Omega-3’s, which break down into amino acids - But I’ve also read that this is an inefficient process.

Now, I’m nowhere near a nutritionist, so I’m just curious - how efficient is the 1.2 oil mix? Does it have creatine in the profile? Will this be a big jump for vegetarians?

Oils do not break down into amino acids… The rice protein is what breaks down into amino acids. I suspect soylent does not contain a large amount of creatine, regardless of whether you use the oil.

There’s not creatine in Soylent. I would recommend getting some, u don’t need to cycle it. 2-5g a day is good. More energy, less sleepy.
drink lots of water.

I’ve supplemented with creatine in the past. The athletic gains are minimal (unless paired with anabolic steroids, but then, come on, what’s really doing the heavy lifting?) but I had read it has benefits for dealing with stress. It may have been placebic, it might have been my switch to bebop while at work, it may have just been all the extra water I was drinking, but I definitely felt less stress.

As @plus notes, omega-3 oils don’t break down into amino acids. You may be thinking of the fact that the omega-3 ALA is converted by the body into the two essential omega-3’s, EPA and DHA - but that process is not very efficient, so it’s generally recommend to get EPA and DHA directly, rather than depending on conversion from ALA. (ALA is high in some plant sources, while EPA and DHA are higher in animal sources, especially oily fish.)

Blue-green algae are not actually plants; they’re cyanobacteria, and these tiny green one-celled animals photosynthesize like plants, but produce EPA and DHA like animals. That makes them a fascinating source for these oils, especially for people who are opposed to consuming higher animals. So the oil in the 1.2 mix can provide EPA and DHA just as well as fish oil. (Side note: current evolutionary theories propose that ancient cyanobacteria infected host cells and lived within them symbiotically, eventually becoming chloroplasts - the green organelles inside of plant cells which give modern plants the ability to photosynthesize.)

On creatine - we do seem to be capable of producing all the creatine we need for normal healthy function. That being said, 95% of our creatine is in our skeletal muscles, and elevating the creatine in the muscles does turn out to improve certain kinds of athletic performance - this is fairly well-studied and well-established. While we can create all the creatine we need, getting creatine from your diet can boost your levels. Animal products like meat contain creatine because those animals, like us, produced the creatine they needed. People who eat animal products end up with higher creatine levels than vegetarians. To get a measurable performance-boosting effect, however, people supplement with substantially higher levels of powdered creatine - much higher than you get from a very-high-protein-diet. While the science behind this is well-established, the effect is relatively small, and is generally only detectable in studies only when using measurement levels generally applicable only to elite athletes.

Creatine loading also causes causes a measureable increase in muscle size because it brings a little water into muscle cells. Anything that cause can provide a performance benefit and causes even a trifling increase in muscle size becomes very popular in the bodybuilding and fitness community.

The fact that “creatien actually works’” to increase muscle size and athletic performance doesn’t necessarily lead to a rational need to supplement creatine in otherwise-heatlhy people. I know there’s research around creatine supplementation for people with compromised systems (such as the elderly, who may not produce as much as they need), but the studies on finding other benefits from creatine supplementation for younger people have gone back and forth and not found very much.

I’ve started adding 5g of creatine to my mix every day. I’ll update in a few weeks when my body’s fully loaded with the stuff.

Fascinating stuff! Thanks for all the cool information!

-Chris