Critique my formula

Hi, it would be really helpful if expert minds could take a look at my formula and critique it, just want to make sure I am not overdosing on anything. I am in the UK so RDAs are slightly different to the US.

Powders -

all these are from myprotein.com
100g Oat Powder
30g Maltodextrin
100g Soy Protein Isolate
30g Psyllium Husks

70g Asda Extra Virgin Olive Oil

2g Monosodium Phosphate (ebay - progressive earth)
2g MSM Powder (my protein
3.5g NOW Potassium Gluconate
0.5g Aniracetam
2g Choline Bitartrate
1g Table Salt

Pills -

Asda Chewable Multivitamin
100% of
Vitamins: A, D, E, K, C, B1, B2, NIACIN, B6, FOLIC ACID, B12, BIOTIN, PANOTHENIC ACID

Solgar Advanced Antioxidant formula
Vitamin A 94%
Vitamin b2 429%
Vitamin C 625%
Vitamin E 1117%
Zinc 100%
Selenium 94%
Copper 100%
Manganese 200%

100mcg Kirkman Molybdenum
200mcg Chromium Picolinate
14mg Asda Iron
300mg Holland and Barret Magnesium
800mg Calcium 5.0ug Vitamin D Tesco

So obviously in this recipe I’m getting over 100% of a few vitamins, is this a big problem?

I REALLY want to use Solgar because I read on an amazon.co.uk review of it by a chemist that it is simply the best on the market and has seriously beneficial antioxidant properties. However it contains 4g of manganese - is it likely that my Oat Powder or any other of my ingredients contain manganese or any other nutrients that I am not aware of? Is there anything else in them?

If anyone has any ideas - please just go ahead and tell me what i’m doing wrong and what to buy - I’ll trust your judgement.

Also - UK soylenters - and in fact everyone else - you might be interested to know that the supermarket chain ASDA sells a multivitamin that has exactly 100% of everything except for 30% calcium, 32% magnesium and 0% potassium… Also, it is only £1 for 30 capsules. If anyone needs this, I could go buy it and post it to you. If you want to go look for it, its called ASDA A-Z Multivitamin and Minerals and comes in a small purple plastic container. I don’t use it because I want to use the Solgar for its antioxidant properties.

I’m sure you meant 4mg; yes oat powder contains manganese. It has up to 4mg per 100g; putting you up to 8mg. The UL(Upper Limit) is 11mg, so you need to be careful not to add any more.

Going over 100% on some vitamins is fine; you just need to know if they are water soluble or fat soluble as well as there UL.
I’d like to know why use a 1:3 ratio for Oat to malto.
You might also want to add some alpha and gamma linolenic acid’s.

Why do you use so much choline? I thought about 550mg is finde ore about the double if you use it as nootropic…

Please tell me, if the psyllium husks are usable. I had concerns, that they make the consistence bad…

That’s a ton of vitamin A, C and E.

Before you do it, you might look at this.

I experimented with psyllium husks, and the results were horrific. I used 30 g. Start with a much smaller amount.

OK - thanks very much for the feedback! Keep it coming.

So based on what has been said so far - I’m going to reduce the Choline to .5g. And I’m only going to take the Solgar Antioxidants every other day for the next 14 days.

The psyllium husks seem to be working ok for me, so I’m going to stick with them. Any suggestions for other fibres it might be worth adding?

As for the Carb ratio, that’s just what I came up with after experimenting. 100g of malto was just too much. Any ideas on what I might alter the ratio to? I do NOT need 400g of carbs a day like some people seem to.

I’ve been experimenting with Soylent for over a month now. That recipe was the one I settled with and have been on for the longest amount of time (2 weeks).

Soylent has so far:
Cured my IBS (This is a diagnosis doctors invented when they don’t know what to do about your bowel problems)

Cured my excessively bad body odour (the doctor could not help with this)

Massively increased my sense of well being, calmness and cognition. For instance, I noticed that I am now seeing more detail in my environment. I am functioning better than I have in years.

Is slowly curing me of my obesity, I have a BMI of 34.4 but on soylent I am steadily losing weight. Not only that, but I have more energy than I thought possible. A few days ago I worked all day then went out for a 2 hour cycle after dinner, just for the hell of it.

Has massively aided my sleep.

Want to say that Rob Rinehart has done more for me than several doctors have been able to. Thanks to him and the entire soylent community. I believe that soylent is responsible for the recent changes I’ve made to my life, which include attending job interviews and getting more accomplished in a few weeks than I previously would have in months. The effects on my mental and physical health have been amazing. Before this I was just stagnating, with very bad sleeping and eating habits. So thanks again!

I use 120g of maltodextrin and 120g of whole oat flour; this only gives me 200g of carbohydrates.
My math seems to be off, or your caloric intake is only 1500. Unless you are in a coma or an 80 year old, 3 foot tall man, your in an unsafe deficit. You might want to up your intake to a healthier 2000 calories.

Well, I wanted to lose weight and have had snacks or small meals on top of the daily dose. But perhaps increasing the Malto is a good idea. Thanks.

I used psyllium husks, not powder, and allowed the mixture to cool/mix overnight in the fridge. In the morning, the mixture was almost slimey, I’m assuming from the soluble fibre. I also had added lecithin for the first time, which I won’t do again, I think.

I use psyllium husks. My mixture is indeed slimy. Do I need to add another type of fibre to get around this?

I was planning to eat some bran cereal for breakfast in lieu. I will try grinding the whole husks that I have and just drinking it in matter (edit: water, which is matter) before it has a chance to partially dissolve. I couldn’t manage it in the Soylent, though. I gagged when I tried to drink it. My brain does not accept slimy beverages.

I’m really glad that soylent has made so many positive changes in your life. I found this particularly interesting. Your diet is basically vegan (I don’t know if any of your vitamins have trace amounts). I’ve been a vegetarian for basically my whole life, and I’ve never really had problems with sweating. I hardly ever even wore deodorant. It wasn’t until I started drinking about 105g of whey protein a day that I started sweating a lot, and now I wake up a lot of mornings with the sheets drenched.

I wonder if your vegan diet is what is causing your body odor to stop?

As to your calories, if 1500 calories a week is working for you, stay with it. Otherwise, you can use this calculator to estimate your total caloric needs, and then eat 300 calories below that. If you’re dropping off weight too fast, you can adjust upwards a little, and if you’re not dropping at least a pound a week, you can revise downwards.

For your macros, make sure you’re getting 1g of protein per kg of bodyweight, unless you take the below suggestion, and then look at 1g per pound of bodyweight. Fat should be at least 40% of your diet, and then just solve for X (carbs).

I would definitely add in heavy resistance training using compounds lifts - squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press twice a week. If you need any help, send me a message, and I’ll be happy to help you get started. Your body isn’t necessarily going to prioritize fat loss over muscle loss at a calorie deficit. Heavy resistance training will not only boost your metabolism, but your body will keep more muscle and lose more fat.

Thanks very much for your considerate reply.

I noticed that a my body odour slightly returned after one night when I ate a pack of crisps and a coke before bed. I think its possible meat had something to do with the body odour, but its also likely to be all the useless chemicals in junk food as well. I had noticed that the smell was worse after I had eaten subway chicken sandwiches.

On soylent I barely seem to sweat at all. I have been using soylent during a week long heatwave where I was doing strenuous exercise and still I did not sweat. Before soylent, even light exertion on a cold day would have made me sweat.