Critiquing and help!

My boyfriend and I started soylent last week, and we’re having a little bit of an issue. Wanted to see if anyone out there had any insight on this.

First, here is the recipe we have so far. We aren’t adding the multivitamin to the actual soylent mix, it’s taken separately.

1. Add 1 oz of Alive! Multivitamins
  2. Add 2 scoops (80g) of Whole Oat Powder
  3. Add 2 scoops (60.8g) of Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard
  4. Add 4 teaspoons (26g) of Fitness Fiber
  5. Add 6 teaspoons of NOW Potassium Gluconate
  6. Add 4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
  7. Add 6g of Jarrow Formulas MSM Sulfur Powder(In accordance to Rob’s update)
  8. Add 0.9 teaspoons of table salt
  9. Add 1/2 teaspoon (2g) of Swanson Monosodium Phosphate
  10. Add 2 cups (200g) of NOW Foods Carbo Gain Maltodextrin
  11. Pour water to desired consistency
  12. Take 1 per day of NOW Iron Supplements for 18 mg of Iron
  13. Take 2 per day of NOW Calcium and Magnesium
  14. Take 1 per day of Nature’s Way Choline

The very first day we figured out, for both of us, that going straight to liquid was a bad idea. We want to supplement it and drink soylent for two out of three meals per day, which worked quite well for us in subsequent days.
Our main concern at the time was a feeling of low blood sugar - agitation, low mood, feeling tired and grumpy.

On the second day I had an apple near lunch and nothing else all day, and I felt absolutely great.

The issues we’ve had thus far that we’re looking to remedy, and any help would be appreciated:
Low blood sugar feel
Achy joints/muscles feeling
Diarrhea

Please let me know! We’d love to continue, but is this just an adjustment period or do we need to tweak the recipe?

Hmm, well starting with diarrhea, did you both suffer with this? - presumably that would rule out lactose intolerance, so failing this, the primary culprit would be too much magnesium - check your total dosage, (you have 2 sources I think here at least). Failing this, like I say, lactose intolerance from the whey, could be the fiber, even possibly too much potassium. My bet would be on Magnesium though.

Achy joints / muscles and the low blood sugar possibly the same thing. Might just be a case that your calories are too low - how many calories does this come to per day, and how many do you usually eat? your boyfriend probably needs 500 cals or so more than you as well.

How are your hunger levels?

I mostly didn’t. We both had more of a gas issue, more related we thought to the up in fiber and sulfur both. Neither of us have a lactose intolerance, so I’ll bring up magnesium to him.

My boyfriend mentioned that the total caloric was 1700-1800 with this recipe. Compared to normal food consumption it is a fair cut down. Currently we are using the same formula for both of us, so he’s getting the same caloric intake as I am.

The hunger levels were cut considerably for me when I ate a fruit item in the middle of the day. The hunger I felt practically went away. For my boyfriend not quite as readily, he’s probably going to be cutting dinner instead of lunch.

1700 calories is likely way too low for him.

Yeh, I think all you can do re the stomach probs is to cut potential suspects. Fiber is quite likely as different people can react both to level of fiber, and the type of fiber used.

Agree entirely with Andrew, 1700 is def too low for him (think 2500 as a starting point imo), and probably nearer to 2k for you. But are you doing soylent partly for weight loss (i.e. the low calories are intended?).

You can also play around with the macronutrients a bit. Upping the protein levels should have a positive effect on hunger without increasing the calories too much, also lowering carbs / raising fat might be beneficial. All depends what your goals are I suppose :slight_smile:

Funny enough the main goal we’re going for is just food substitute at the moment. Weight loss and healthier feel will be welcome bi-products, but we’re just tired of eating and choosing what to eat each day. We currently don’t have excellent availability of a kitchen, and we’re tired of eating out.

We’ve been playing with the fiber content. The recommended in the recipe versus on the container per day were vastly different, so we’ve been hedging in the middle.

We’ll definitely be upping the calorie intake on the recipe, and possibly the protein a little.
What would the carb/fat ratio change?
Thank you for your help!

When saying “too many” or “too few” calories, please keep in mind that caloric requirements depend heavily on a person’s lifestyle, and terryki doesn’t seem to have said anything about his/her’s yet, neither about his/her boyfriend’s lifestyle.

Looking at Terry’s name I’m not even sure we know his/her gender yet - I hope I’m not offending you here.

As I understand it, the recommended 2k calories for average males would work well for an average 20-30 year old male with average metabolism, who doesn’t do much active sports but does move around a little.
1700-1800 calories could actually be ideal for a couch potatoe who has an office job that doesn’t require much thinking either.

terryki, what can you tell us about your and your boyfriend’s lifestyles, to allow us to answer your recent question about calories and carb/protein/fat ratios better?

I am femme, though thank you for the gender sensitivity. :wink:

We both have office jobs (requiring a fair amount of thinking), but we’re definitely looking to be more active outside of such - another benefit we’re looking for in soylent is an up in our energy levels, which I noticed almost immediately (admittedly it could be the Alive multivitamin on its own, I’m not sure). With more activity, we’ll raise the calories appropriately.

Yep, true enough there, jumped the gun on a couple of things :wink:

Regarding carbs / fat, that is probably something more for you to decide. Personally I tend towards higher fat / lower carb mainly because I want to keep insulin down, but I tend to do carb refeeds after weight training, and I am like you semi soylent for the most part. So, whilst I cant really tell you what to do with carb / fat, I can say it is something you may want to look into / adjust and see what suits you better. You can easily tweak the macros slightly for a few days and see if you feel better / worse.

Fairly easy to judge calories with soylent as well. Weigh yourselves weekly. Although your bodyweight can fluctuate by a few pounds either way due to water loss (so may be inaccurate short term), over time you will get a pretty decent estimate of what your maintenance calories are.

As you seem to be a bit hungry etc, worth bumping to 2k or so and see what happens.

If you are hungry and your caloric intake is low, eat more. It’s not rocket science.

=\ Thanks, Andrew.
It seems like a lot of it would be adjustment of carbs/fat/protein.

One of the main concerns we had was the diarrhea, with magnesium being one of the prime suspects. The capsule that we take for magnesium and calcium has 66% of the daily recommended dose of magnesium per capsule, and I don’t know if he’s been taking two or not. Would it be best to cut down to one, or break this into powders and go more micro?

Has the alive liquid also got magnesium in? you might also have some in oat powder (I am not sure as I don’t use any in my mix). So my concern was with the various sources you may be going over. - as well if it is in a single dose it could be too much. (and certain mag forms are worse for this too afaik).

You could just drop the magnesium for a day or two entirely, or as diarrhea isn’t much fun, it might be worthwhile removing the fiber, magnesium, sulphur, and reducing the potassium dose. If this fixes it, you know one of these is the culprit and can reintroduce individually. If it doesn’t you are left with less likely probs (olive oil, oat powder etc). Hard to know what to advise as unless something is radically over the rda (cant tell from your list) I think a number of the ingredients could be causing the prob.

I’m not supplementing any magnesium beyond the multivitamin.

Adults are supposed to get 20-35 grams of fiber per day, but it also matters how much you were getting before. The body takes awhile to adjust to more fiber. Were you tracking your previous diet enough to know if this is a big increase in fiber for you?

The others are right about the calories. A sudden cut will give you that low-blood-sugar feel. If 1700-1800 calories per day is your ultimate goal, you might want to ease yourself down to that.

One more point on the iron–while you, as a woman, need 18mg of iron per day, your boyfriend, as a man, needs far less, only 8mg per day. Unless he’s an MMA fighter or something, you lose more blood in a month than he does, so you need more iron to restore that lost blood.

80 grams of Oats has 160 mg sodium, 343 mg potassium, 430 mg Calcium, 3.76 mg iron, 418 mg phosphorus, 142 mg magnesium, 3.2 mg zinc, and some B vitamins. Adjust your supplements of these minerals accordingly. I would highly recommend running your recipe through makesoylent.com and making sure the laxative magnesia is not too high. I am using the Oat, Flax, Whey and Brown Rice Syrup recipe without any trouble.

Someone who donates blood loses about 250 mL of blood per month.

I looked up the Now Calcium Magnesium. 500 mg Magnesium. Anything over 350 in a supplement can cause diarrhea.