Curing Food Allergies Permanently

Having seen numerous concerns raised about allergens in Soylent’s formulas (past and current), I felt a topic on curing food allergies might be called for. Some people, victims of allergies themselves, will say “we’re such a niche market, we don’t expect Soylent to change the whole thing for us”. I think this is humble, but in truth allergies are a growing epidemic.

“This is becoming an epidemic that we need to be aware of, we need to get educated about,” says Dr. Kari Nadeau, who is the director of the Sean N. Parker Center for Allergy Research at Stanford University. “The data shows that it’s very high in our population, probably about 17 to 18 million people in the U.S., and in other countries it’s about 18 million people.”

PBS News Hour recently covered a story on the various treatments being tested for permanent food allergy cures. One such treatment involves using powders to alter the immunoresponse. This was pioneered by Stanford researchers years ago and is starting to make some headway. Another method involves introducing a strain of gut bacteria, Clostridia, that has proven very effective in mice.

Whether it’s Soylent compromising with a separate formula (unfortunately probably with a higher price) or the consumer finding freedom from their cursed ailment, or a combination of the two, I think it’s worth having hope. The future is full of opportunities!

As a side note, I noticed one of the now cured patients from Stanford’s research said she still avoids her previously allergic foods. I suppose the trauma of having a life threatening allergic reaction is one that lasts. :confused:

I sure hope there are solutions… My dad developed Celiacs about 3 years ago after a stint in the hospital for back surgery and my sister developed a soy allergy about 8 years ago (she suspects) after a bad case of shellfish food poisoning. Of course no clue as to exactly what caused what, those were just best guesses at the timing… Excessive antibiotics in the hospital? Food poisoning? No idea… Too many questions.

All I know now is that going out to eat with the two of them is challenging. At least (for my dad) it seems more folks are aware of gluten issues than soy…

From what I’ve read, they’re closer to understanding how to cure it than they are knowing why people get allergies in the first place. That seems like the norm in epidemiology. “We can cure it” “Oh good, how did he get it?” “… idk…”

Sorry to hear about your family :confused:

thanks for this post! i’m one of the ones with allergy issues, i was really disappointed when they added sunflower to 1.4 and i’ve been buying lots of 1.3 on ebay (39 weeks worth this year) because of how many things I’ve become allergic to. Soylent 2.0 is really close to being ok for me, but they have canola oil in it so :confused: but I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes on this development, thanks again

Also, I remember reading that a vaccine had been developed in finland a few years back for preventing allergies. I dont have a link right, but you could google it.

Yep, just looked it up. Good catch.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jenniferhicks/2012/05/29/finnish-scientists-discover-vaccine-to-eliminate-allergies/

Hm, maybe you could ask that finnish group of scientists who formed a business 2 and a half years ago to sign up for their human trials? They could be to that stage now if their goal was to have something on the market in 5 years.

“The VTT team is currently creating hypoallergenic vaccines that combat
grass, birch and ragweed pollen, plus pet and food allergens.”

this particular cure looks like it’s slow going, and finding info on it has been difficult. I’m actually more interested in the probiotic solution, hopefully that takes off soon. thanks though!

Oh no problem, after all I really just want to put a sleeper agent in that company to steal their research.

Apply for the beta. You will forget this.

This is fascinating. As someone who has had a life-threatening allergy since infancy (early exposure to peanuts did not end up being a good thing for me, recent studies aside) and has been Allergic to EverythingTM for much of my life, gaining and losing dozens of allergies over the years, it is honestly scary to see this as a “growing epidemic”. There is something seriously wrong here if that is the case, and we don’t even know what it is.

I have some experience with the various conventional and alternative treatments that attempt to reduce or “cure” allergies, but I wasn’t familiar with the extremely simple “eat tiny but increasingly large amounts of the allergenic food every two weeks until you aren’t allergic anymore” approach. It is as enticing as it is terrifying, and the idea that you have to keep eating it afterward to avoid developing the allergy again is very off-putting. I suspect that I have gut microbiome issues that probably play into the whole thing as well, so the probiotics-based solution seems promising as perhaps a more stable solution. I don’t know. This has opened my mind again to the possibility of actually eliminating even my worst allergies, and the “eat tiny but increasingly large amounts” approach sounds like the sort of crazy thing that I would try to do. I mean, I did get into Soylent, and start making my own out of impatience, after all.

I think the Soylent team has gone above and beyond to try to make Soylent as hypoallergenic as possible (certainly more than their European imitators) but it’s pretty clear that the environmental/vegan/price considerations take higher precedence for Rob, at least.

One of the reasons I’ve been able to find the motivation to keep going with Custom/Super Body Fuel is that I don’t trust any of the other founders in this space to prioritize allergy considerations (and other dietary stuff I’m dealing with) enough that I could rely on their products as a customer myself. If I want something that works for me, I’ll have to make it myself. And who knows, maybe with more and more people becoming allergic every year, that will eventually be a good business decision. :wink:

But I’d rather have the cure.

Just to clarify, the treatment uses powders with extremely precise increments and they actually start out in such small amounts that your immune system barely notices their precense. They administer a small bit of anti-allergy medication alongside to sort of “train” the immune system as well, and they said they often have to cycle through several different AA meds before they find the right one.

Not that you were gonna go off and try this yourself… though it wouldn’t surprise me considering the length you’ve already gone to to take your health into your own hands. Its a shame such things are necessary but at the same time congratulations! Thats no small thing.

I’m aware of this, having had desensitization shots for airborne allergies in the past (unfortunately, the effects don’t last long if you stop treatment).

But you’re right that I was hinting that I might try to do this myself at some point. :stuck_out_tongue: Not without a lot of research beforehand and the necessary equipment or connections though, of course. :wink:

Yo dog, I know a dude can hook you up wit some MEAN anti-allergy pills. You a cop?

Dont try that approach yourself. I mean dont expose yourself to allergens. Let a professional do that for you. My aunt, who was very allergic to house dust (respiratory allergy to dust, not skin allergy) was actually cured by homeopathy. Seems like homeopathy is good for dust allergies. You could try homeopathy, if you have that.

I flagged your homeopathy comment as spam. I strongly recommend you don’t talk about it in the future.

If anyone here wants to know how homeopathy works, you can visit this site for more information.

why?

20 characters…

Because homeopathy is well known as modern snake oil. Maybe he could try buying snake oil too and if he believed that would work the placebo effect may make him feel better, but it’s not going to cure a physiological illness, only a self-inflicted psychological one. Since axcho has an actual physiological allergy it’s irresponsible and possibly dangerous to recommend a placebo cure.

I’m sure @Tark isn’t lying: his aunt tried homeopathy and she was cured, but there is no way that homeopathy was the thing that cured her. It was either a placebo affect, the attention (if any) given to her during the treatment, or possibly just a coincidence. There is simply no mechanism for homeopathy to work.

why not? 20 characters.

From memory: The dilutions are supposed to be more powerful as they are more dilute. Thus, some of the “strongest” homeopathic products statistically do not contain even a single atom of the original reagent. I’m assuming the Wikipedia article has a ton of information on it: homeopathy.