CVS Liquid Nutrition Plus: A review

CVS Liquid Nutrition is CVS’ meal replacement drink (competitor to Ensure). As we know, Ensure is too overpriced to be a competitor to Soylent. CVS Liquid Nutrition, unlike Ensure, is actually pretty reasonably priced. Their “Plus” (i.e. non-low-calorie) version, that is, CVS Liquid Nutrition Plus, is $8.79 for 2,100 calories of pre-mixed drink, in my town. That’s pricey by this forum’s standards, but still affordable.

The carbs are maltodextrin and sucrose; the protein is milk/whey protein concentrate; the oil is canola and corn oil. The taste is good; I’d compare it to a liquid Clif bar. Maybe a little over-sweet. However, I’m drinking it at room temperature, against their recommendation to drink it chilled.

How does it stack up in terms of nutritional value? See here:

http://makesoylent.com/recipes/cvs-liquid-nutrition-plus

The most serious issue is that it includes no fiber. It is also below the RDAs on chloride (71%), choline (82%), and potassium (72%). Their nutrition facts have no information on omega fatty acid content, but it should be good since the main oil is canola oil.

Aside from issues of nutritional adequacy, 40% of its carbs are sugar, and that seems like too much to me. I’d be worried about what this would do to my teeth if I were to live on it.

If you wash it down with water, chew gum, and brush your teeth regularly, you’ve got nothing to worry about. If you drink sugar water all day and nothing else, then it provides steady sustenance to damaging streptococcus bacteria and the acidic byproduct of their digestive process will slowly eat away at your enamel.

Non sustained consumption of sugary beverages, in conjunction with regular intake of water or other no-sugar beverages, should be fine for your teeth. 3 of these a day wouldn’t be harmful.

You should also be worried about your liver with that much sugar (fructose) daily.

What you are writing about scares me… Is this just for Sucrose or also for Dextrose/ Maltodextrin?

Why sugar is bad for your teeth.

Plaque on your teeth is a biofilm composed of numerous types of bacteria. That’s why brushing is important, to prevent the buildup of bacterial colonies that can make better and more efficient use of the sugars you consume (and thereby produce more acid). The problem comes from sugar that contacts your teeth and “sticks”. If you rinse it down quickly, less sugar settles, and you have a lesser problem with the acids eating away at your enamel. It shouldn’t scare you, it’s just basic dental hygiene. :slight_smile:

Oh well, I had my vocabulary sorted out wrong… I thought Enamel would refer to some layer of the gut flora, so

acidic byproduct of their digestive process will slowly eat away

sounded horrible to me…
But yea, now the information makes sense :slight_smile:

FWIW - these are on sale @ CVS through August 31st; buy one get one for 50% off. Bringing the cost down to $6.59 per 2100 calories.