"Dagravit Totaal 30" multivitamin: converting μg to IU

I’m trying to add a multivitamin (Dagravit Totaal 30) to my recipe, but several vitamins need to be specified in IU rather than the μg given on the package. Apparently the conversion rate depends on which substance is used. Google tells me:

• Vitamin A: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.3 mcg retinol, or of 0.6 mcg beta-carotene. Vitamin D: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.025 mcg cholecalciferol or ergocalciferol. Vitamin E: 1 IU is the biological equivalent of 0.67 mg d-alpha-tocopherol, or 0.9 mg of dl-alpha-tocopherol.

Seems to make quite a difference for vits A and E, but Dagravit doesn’t give me enough information; just “Vitamin A: 400 μg”, and so forth.

Does anyone know what I should enter into the form? (I guess I could split the difference until I find out the proper conversion rate.)

A, D, and E are fat-soluble vitamins so “fail to safe”. In other words, use .3 mcg retinol/IU for vitamin A and 0.67 mg d-alpha-tocopherol/IU for vitamin E.

So you want to err on the side of caution. And to you, caution is making sure not to overdose. Is that right? But don’t we also want to avoid vitamin deficiency? In that case, erring on the side of caution would lead us to make the opposite assumptions?

In other words: Does overdose beat deficiency as a risk?

Excellent questions! One reason that I suggested .3 mcg retinol/IU for vitamin A which I didn’t state in my previous post is that retinyll palmitate is the most cost-effective and widely available form of vitamin A used by multivitamin and mineral (mvm) formulators. Same song, second verse for d-alpha-tocopherol a.

Do you know the basis for the ADH? If you know the basis (for example, in the US it is usually the RDA for a 2,000 calorie adult male diet, as presented here: http://www.dsld.nlm.nih.gov/dsld/dailyvalue.jsp) then you can use the percentages of ADH to derive the IUs. For example, for the “Totaal 30 Xtra Vitaal 60+” vitamins the percentage of ADH for vitamin A is 100, and therefore the IUs based upon the US RDAs would be 5,000; the IUs for “Totaal 30 Extra Sterk” would be 7,500, because the percentage for vitamin A is 150.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the “ADH”?

“Aanbevolen Dagelijkse Hoeveelheid”, which is Dutch for “Recommended Daily Amount”

Makes sense to me, thanks! In the meantime, I’ve contacted the company that makes this pill, and they said they’d get back to me when the right people are back from vacation. :wink: