DAMN it, I think I might be allergic to soy

As you might have read elsewhere, I am drinking Soylent 2.0 and LOVING it.

But I recently begun to break out in cysts that are frankly much larger than I’m used to, and minor itchy spots on the arms. I attributed it to stress.

But really, I’ve been much more stressed before this, and never had cysts this large, so why now? I stumbled upon a post by another Soylenteer here who mentioned that he broke out in his neck area. This made me wonder, so I looked around online (hence the “think” part of the title…), and found that allergic reactions to soy cause itching skin, rashes and – you guessed it – development of cysts.

The only change to my diet recently is, yep, Soylent 2.0. I’ve eaten soy in the past – tofu, edamame, etc – and never had a problem, but only consume those items very occasionally. Guess the sustained consumption of soy with Soylent 2.0 caused those reactions.

I’m loath to stop my Soylent 2.0 subscription because I do love drinking it, so I just wanted to see if anyone have any input or thoughts before I bring the hammer down.

Looks like there are two ways to test: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/soy-allergy/basics/tests-diagnosis/con-20031370

You could go on a soy-less diet and see if there’s changes, that would be cheaper though less accurate.

Another test is to drink a whole bunch and see if you die; it’s very accurate but there are some downsides.

Patients with soy allergies confirmed by double-blind placebo-controlled food challenges are very rare. Animal data confirms low immunological reactivity for soy. You may want to continue searching for another stressor other than soy.

I’d say get tested for the allergy, and maybe see if something can be prescribed to deal with it. For instance my coworker has an allergy to chocolate, but sometimes she’ll just pop a benadryl so she can have some.

That’s the effect of excessive isoflavones.

I think that’s for ovarian cysts… I don’t have ovaries, FWIW :smile:

cystic acnes, you said you have breakouts. For some men, isoflavone induced hormonal changes result in acne breakout, usually along jawline, upper neck, cheek or forehead.

I recommend switch to 1.5 powder or other products with negligible levels of isoflavone. Only use 2.0 occasionally (like when you out and about).

I think he should first confirm it’s not misattribution as perceived soy allergies are much more common than soy allergies, like gluten. Given how he was practically ready to marry 2.0 it’s probably good to make sure the relationship isn’t terminal before giving up.

It is actually very easy to get tested for allergies. This would leave no doubt or guessing on your part.

It would also tell you if you are allergic to anything else which you may come into contact with in your life.