DCM in dogs and Soylent

So first a little background. I’m a vet. Right now we are dealing with a problem where we have noticed an increase in DCM (dialated cardiomyopathy) in dogs being fed certain classes of diet. (The so called B.E.G. Diets, boutique, exotic, and grain free). We think (in part) its something to do with nutrient interactions between ingredients being fed. This got me thinking about DIY Formulations, and possible long term health implications.
I’m not sure about the state of the science on the human side (and hence if Soylent itself might or might not be immune), but thought I’d bring it up here as a point for discussion. Any thoughts?

I’ve got nothing really to add to your post other than I seriously wish there was a Soylent for cats that could be as good for them as the raw food we feed ours currently (and that is crazy expensive). Hope you find some useful info!

Raw probably isnt a great idea… interestingly, when I’m explaining Soylent to some people (particularly other vets) I’ll sometimes refer to it as ‘kibble for people’. It shares a lot of characteristics with your standard kibbles/Total Mixed Rations.

Do you have a recommendation on cat food? I’m using blue buffalo indoor cat formula currently.

Actually since we discovered raw cat food years ago, our cat’s health improved dramatically. Their coats got softer & glossier, their bowel movements no longer smelled… there’s a lot more but everything was so positive I never ever would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. Cats are obligate carnivores so actually raw makes complete sense for them. Not as much for dogs though I’m sure it’s still a pretty good idea.

We feed ours Savage Cat brand. We used to feed them Rad Cat but sadly they shut down recently

There was a study a number of years ago (trying to recall the details), they looked at feeding raw. Its wasnt a great study, as our understanding of feline nutrition has evolved a lot since then, but what they found was the cats being fed raw, looked better, but when they euthanized and did histology on the tissues (hmmm wonder why they havent repeated this study in more recent years), they found problems. The kibble fed cats looked worse on the outside but better on the inside.

My recommendation in general for cats is wet food only. Dry food has to have a minimum carb content to stick together and form a kibble. Wet food doesnt have that restriction and they can put a much higher protein percentage in (one of the reasons i suspect the other poster noted an improvement on raw vs. what they fed before)

Interesting… yeah I can imagine that’s not the sort of study we’re going to see repeated a whole lot. I’ve had cats all my life and growing up they usually had kibble (except for a period where my mom decided to cook them turkey & rice) but were also indoor/outdoor so who knows what else they were consuming. Now my cats are indoor only so we monitor everything they consume and excrete, and I just know that after going raw everything we could observe got better, including their energy levels, personalities, the works. I had my doubts at the beginning but they were having health issues and the only think we could think to do was change their diet, and it worked. Our cats generally live to between 14 and 17 years (before usually cancer gets them… I hate cancer) so, I feel like we’re doin’ OK!