Deconstructing Soylent - is this accurate?

I received my order of Soylent last week. Many months ago I watched several videos on Youtube about Soylent, and ran across one that was very critical of it. I recall that the guy thought the whole idea was ridiculous and unhealthy. Anyway, I saw some interesting comments from someone among the back and forth arguing over this video. I copy/pasted these for later, and had forgotten about them until now. I’m reposting these comments in the hopes that people who are more knowledgeable than myself can tell me whether this person has a valid point about Soylent and the ingredients it contains. I cleaned the post up a little to make it more readable.

Allow me to deconstruct Soylent:

maltodextrin: from GMO corn, empty carb, metabolizes into pure sugar, spikes blood glucose levels, contributes to insulin resistance, promotes type II diabetes

rice protein: grown in Asia (China, Vietnam), contaminated with arsenic, cadmium, tungsten, lead (see latest reports on rice protein scandals in the news), poor quality protein, incomplete amino acid profile

calcium carbonate: from mined rocks, lowest quality form of calcium, unassimilable, contributes to formation of kidney stones, calcifies arteries and soft tissues, promotes atherosclerosis and heart disease.

magnesium oxide: lowest quality form of magnesium, poorly absorbed, works well only as a laxative

pyridoxine HCL: lowest quality form of B6, inactive form, poorly absorbed and converted

chromium chloride: low quality form of chromium

folic acid: synthetic form of folate, demonstrated to be harmful to liver and poorly converted into bioactive folate in vivo

potassium iodide: low quality form of iodine, can be used by the thyroid but is poorly absorbed by the other glands such as ovaries, prostate, breasts which need true iodine from food source

sodium selenite: poor quality, inorganic, non-chelated form of selenium, poorly absorbed

Vitamin K1 phytonadione: Soylent does not include Vitamin K2 which is 100% essential for calcium absorption into bones. Without Vitamin K2 Soylent consumers will develop kidney stones and calcified soft tissues guaranteed

Vitamin D2 ergocalciferol: Vitamin D2 is poorly converted into Vitamin D3 which is the active form necessary for the human body to function. without Vitamin D3 Soylent consumers will not be able to regulate osteoblastic and osteoclastic activity in their bones. They will develop rickets and osteoporosis

Vitamin B12 as cyanocobalamin: this is cobalamin bound to a cyanide molecule. It is an inactive form of Vitamin B12 that is poorly converted into bioactive Vitamin B12 in vivo. many people lack the ability to absorb Vitamin B12 in the stomach because they are deficient in Intrinsic Factor. Consumers of Soylent will suffer poor energy levels after extended consumption, their homocysteine levels will rise, and they will become inflamed

Vitamin E as synthetic dl-alpha tocopheryl-acetate: does not have Vitamin E activity in vivo, linked to higher incidences of cancer.

Zinc sulfate: inorganic, poorly absorbed form of zinc

Soy Lecithin: from GMO soybeans, contains toxic solvent hexane from extraction

Artificial Flavors: excitotoxic, mood disrupting compounds

Xanthan Gum: gut irritating thickener

Sucralose: artificial sweetener also known as Splenda, similar chemical composition to chlorinated pesticides, contains covalently bound chlorine that the body cannot break down, this chlorine kills gut bacteria necessary to maintain health, contains toxic contaminants as a result of manufacturing

canola oil: highly inflammatory fatty acid composition, no nutritional value, contains toxic solvents and deodorizers, rancid fats which contribute to heart disease

fish oil: probably highly processed and rancid, probably contains contaminants such as mercury and PCBs

Soylent lacks a number of necessary nutrients such as trace minerals (e.g. copper, silver, gold, boron, silica, strontium, vanadium, iron, etc), phytonutrients (there is no conclusive list of these as research is ongoing), antioxidants (carotenoids, chlorophyll, astaxanthin, lutein, lycopene, resveratrol, research is ongoing), amino acids, saturated fats, cholesterol, fatty acids, and on and on and on.

I can’t wait for the lawsuits that will come out when people start contracting serious medical conditions from consuming Soylent.

but hey, I don’t know anything about nutrition?

Mostly crap, some perhaps has some truth.In the same way most conspiracy theories are mostly crap and have some truth. You can try to pull out the non-crap from the crap and evaluate it point by point but for the most part nobody wants to discuss nutrition info from these types of sources.

You’ll see most of those issues discussed to some degree here: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/the-soylent-killer/11434

You can ignore anything from Secrets of Longevity. He caters to conspiracy nuts and is more often spouting nonsense than not. I’ve seen a number of his videos. Among other things he apparently believes that contrails are “geoengeneering” and that hair & fingernails are made from silica (aka sand).

This person’s video has come up before, most recently but not only as this thread:

As others mentioned, there are other posts about yout specific questions. But just to point out a few flaws… Soylent contains iron, amino acids, fatty acids and plenty of trace elements not listed (from the oats fx)

The lack of those anti-oxidants is news to me. Are they really that necessary for survival. I am not familiar, does anybody know more about this. But there is a presence of iron,fatty acids, copper,amino acids and i am guessing some other trace minerals in soylent. But soylent definitely needs to have more bio-available versions of vitamins and minerals. And slightly more sodium too. Its below the RDI.