Dental plaque and Soylent

Has there been any studies about the effects of Soylent on dental health/hygiene/cavities? I noticed that I have more plaque on my teeth after drinking Soylent, probably because it is very fine particulates instead of larger morsels.

No studies yet that I am aware of, but at least in 1.4 the isomaltulose is non-cariogenic. I’m not sure of the cariogenicity of the other ingredients. As far as I am aware protein and fat are (all?) non-cariogenic, so it probably depends on the other carbohydrates.

As a layman my observations are that Soylent does get stuck in or between my teeth like some solid foods can, and any residue left in my mouth is easily taken care of by standard brushing and mouthwash. Sugarfree gum is nice between cleanings, as well. I only feel the need to floss after eating normal food (which I do pretty much every day, so maybe I would eventually feel like I needed to floss on just Soylent?).

Interestingly enough, I just saw this the other day on reddit discussing this very issue:

I’ve had two checkups since starting Soylent nearly a year ago (!!!) and they’ve been stellar. In fact, major improvements given that just before Soylent came into our lives, I had some pretty serious issues cropping up on me with my teeth & gums. They haven’t disappeared entirely, but they have definitely improved significantly and no longer pose the imminent “time for a dental prosthetic” threat that I was facing.

That being said, I’ve always produced higher than normal levels of plaque. Something about the particular makeup of my saliva apparently. Oh I should probably also mention that I don’t floss (and won’t) and that since Soylent I’ve had probably the easiest and least eventful dental cleanings of my adult life. My gal on the other hand flosses fairly religiously and does not produce excessive plaque, and has also had absolutely perfect dental health since Soylent (which I would’ve expected anyway) including a huge reduction (near elimination I’d say) in bleeding gums when she gets overzealous while flossing.

So if our entirely anecdotal experiences count for anything, we’re definitely not at all worried about Soylent and dental health. Even our dentist has noticed the improvements, and wasn’t at all concerned when we discussed Soylent with her.

Good question, I also wonder about Soylent’s affect on dental health. I look forward to hearing about any concrete info/research on this.

I’ve chewed Trident Layers gum for a couple years now after a lot of my meals when away from home (I like the “Layers” kind a lot better than other sugar-free gums). My theory is that the increase in saliva over the course of a few minutes produced by the gum is better at “rinsing” traces of food than just swishing water around. This seems borne out by the greater lack of an aftertaste of my meal with chewing gum instead of swishing water.

Also, the chewing and stickiness of the gum mechanically removes food particles from teeth.

I plan to keep on chewing gum with Soylent, but it’d be nice to cut out the gum-chewing step from my eating routine, which seems a little more necessary with regular, solid food.