Diabetes Blood Sugar Result for Soylent (Fasting)

Hi,

I just tried a serving of Soylent while monitoring my blood sugar. I am a type II diabetic.

I started out the morning with a glucose reading of 99. One serving of Soylent and it shot up to 218 in about 20 minutes. That is way too fast, too high. That essentially means that Soylent is the equivalent of a glucose tolerance test.

Conclusion: Soylent has way too much sugar for a diabetic. All talk of simple vs. complex sugars are irrelevant if the stuff is capable of sending a diabetic’s blood sugar past 200 in a few minutes. In my humble opinion, diabetics should steer clear of Soylent until such time as a low carb diabetic formulation has been designed that increases fish oil fat and protein at the expense of carbohydrate. I would also recommend that Soylent’s makers/marketers warn diabetics away from the product until a low carb formulation is achieved.

@brockmanah, this weekend I monitored my blood sugar after consuming Soylent one day and Dextrose the next and posted the results in this thread

I’d like ask you for some more details:

1. How much Soylent did you drink?
  2. How fast did you drink it, in minutes?
  3. What version was it (presumably 1.1, but I’d like to verify)?

Thanks.

As a Type II (mellitus), how high does your glucose normally rise at 20 minutes after a typical mixed meal?

I drank 500 mL which was my interpretation of 1 serving. Post 1 hour 218, 2 hours 145, three hours 102. I am also taking 500 mg metformin, and then chromium and cinnamon; so it may be that the three hour return to baseline is the benefit of medication.

I am using Soylent v 1.1 in this test. I took another serving of Soylent after the return to baseline at 102 so I am waiting 1 hour to see what the post prandial spike will be while already enjoying the effects of metformin.

To answer the other poster, On a very low carb meal I might have 145 postprandial like a non-diabetic. On a moderate carb meal it will be 175. If it is some crazy no-no food like a hostess cupcake it will go to 200.

Thank you for the additional information. Just trying to collect as much hard data from as many sources as possible.

One more thing that I’d like to confirm, if you don’t mind. How did you prepare the Soylent?

You are not the first one to report that spike in 20 mins. I hope they find a solution for this honestly… obviously because it is a liquid diet, the carbs have a larger surface area, which allows the enzymes to break them down faster. So either they have to be longer chains or something different altogether.

There could be a difference between 1.0 and 1.1 given the increase in embedded enzymes and the thinner consistency. I’m not diabetic myself (I don’t think) but can occasionally get hypoglycemic symptoms. I find that the let down is less using Xanthum Gum possibly it slows thing down a bit.

BTW, my basic serving is about 350 ml.

Eve

@Malachi I put one of the bags into about 1500 mL of water, added the oil. It’s version 1.1.

This is a big letdown… They mentioned months ago that there was the exact opposite effect, but then never said anything again. This is the kind of blood sugar spikes that stresses bodies and turns non-diabetics into diabetics… Would be great to get some of the official results from those experiments that the Soylent team conducted/is hopefully still conducting @Soylent

Also, please if you keep drinking soylent report back with your further numbers. I’ve personally been eating Soylent and combining it with other hard foods, usually apples/carrots because I was worried about this effect and hoping I could slow down the absorption rate. Maybe try that?

I was wondering the same thing.

In another thread, I posted the results of the blood glucose tests I did over the weekend.

For me, Soylent did not spike my blood glucose like dextrose did and the peak was not followed by a crash. But, I’m just one sample and the OP is another. We need more samples. We also need to know what we’re targeting. I don’t know

I did not mix my Soylent the same as the OP. The 443 ml of Soylent contained 50 g of available carbohydrates.

I would like to see Soylent publish their results, but even if they do, it won’t tell you what your blood sugar is doing when you drink Soylent.

This coming weekend, I’m going to test it again. This time, I’m going to use enough Soylent to make for 75 g of available carbohydrates, which is 149 g of Soylent 1.1. The more people who test themselves and post the result, the more information we’ll have.

This thread is super important IMHO, and speaks to some of the symptoms I’ve been experiencing… I’ve been getting carb comas from Soylent 1.1 … and it’s starting to concern me enough that I’m not sure if I want to continue using it… and AFAIK, I’m not pre-diabetic

Based on @malachi’s preliminary results above, you won’t get a massive glucose spike and carb coma, unless you’re pre-diabetic. So if you’re having that kind of reaction to Soylent, perhaps you should look into that.

No, that’s not how it works… one person does not make a population.

As @malachi stated: “But, I’m just one sample and the OP is another. We need more samples.”

I’ve had carb spikes and comas intermittently since I was 10 and skinny (now 60 and obese). There are other reasons besides diabetes for carb reactions.

Eve

Actually, that’s kind of my point. You’re one person. Lots of people don’t have carb comas after Soylent (I didn’t, either. Lots of people don’t.) So if you are really having “carb comas” after Soylent, perhaps you should look into your situation.

Agreed. And someone having extreme carb reactions should look into the cause, preferably with medical advice.

Looking at this thread:

@brockmanah is a diabetic. This means that his blood glucose will spike over 200 if he quickly eats a 75 gram dose of glucose. (By definition.) It also means that if he eats a mixed meal with a lot of simple carbs, his glucose may still spike over 200, even if that meal is well tolerated by people who do not have diabetes.

@malachi is not diabetic. A Soylent meal does not cause his blood glucose to spike like a diabetic’s would.

@shnwntrs is reporting “carb comas” after Soylent. Regardless the reason for the underlying diabetes, this is a symptom, and if you’re having a symptom, I think it’s prudent advice to check into whether you have the disease.

@malachi - I checked out the remaining supplies from my dad; they’ve all expired (three years ago), so I’ll have to find another way to do testing. Like, maybe even spend money. :slight_smile:

For someone without access to a blood tester, how expensive would it be to get the necessary tester?

You’ll need the meter (electronic device,) the disposable strips that are used for the actual test, and the disposable lancets that are used to prick your finger (ideally, with a spring-loaded device that does the pricking for you.)

The meters are cheap; you can find them for well under $10! But it’s like inkjet printers; they sell you the device cheap, but make it up on the supplies later. You want to watch the price on the strips and lancets. The strips are not all compatible across devices, and you often have to “code” the device to match the type of strips you’re using.

Here’s a complete set with device, spring-loaded thingy for the lancets, 10 lancets, and 10 strips, under $40:
http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Chek-Active-Glucose-Monitor-Kit/dp/B00AQQOTSW/ref=sr_1_13?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1415048216&sr=1-13&keywords=glucose+monitor+kit

You can probably do better, so $40 should be an upper bound.

As @MentalNomad has already pointed out, the devices themselves are cheap, it’s the supplies you have to watch out for.

This past weekend, a friend of mine let me borrow hers. It’s a Bayer’s Contour and you can pick it up at Amazon for $5.99 as an add-on item.

I went ahead and bought strips and lancets so that I don’t use up all of hers. I found 100 ct strips for $25 and 100 ct lancets for $10. I figure if I don’t use them all, all just give the remainder to her.

None of this should be construed as a recommendation as I know very little about these devices and what their various features might be.