Did anyone else know this?

Vitamin D and Vitamin K are both complexes.

Vitamin D includes Vitamin D1, D2, D3, D4 and D5.

Vitamin K includes Vitamin K1 and K2.

How important is it that we get each of these?

Pretty important. Bones and shit.

Well all the supplemental vitamin D comes is D3 does that mean I have to get D1, D2, D4 and D5?

I did get K1 and K2 separately at least.

No. In the end all kinds of vitamin D have same purpose in the body. So when it comes to all the different molecules of vitamin D, they are not directly usable by the body. The body needs to process all dietary vitamin D to one specific molecule. D3 as a molecule, is closer to the hormonally active form of vitamin D that is in our blood. That’s why D3 usually is better than other types of vitamin D to increase blood levels of vitamin D.

Vitamin D2 comes from plants, and have been shown to be effective in many cases. But in many other cases, it is not as potent as D3 because D2 is not as similar as a molecule to our hormonelly active form of vitamin D as D3 is, so the process of changing D2 to the active form, is harder and takes longer time.

Thanks a lot.
Can you link me to a source?

Something specific in what i wrote, you want a reference to? What I wrote is not from one specific source or article. Though I got a lot of information from this book, which i highly recommend. Most of the book is about his patients and the effect of vitamin d deficiency, and how vitamin D is linked to many different diseases. But also a brief text of how we thought of vitamin D earlier in history, and what we know now. Also some info of what vitamin D is in molecular level and what the effect of the different vitamin D supplements.

Here is at least a quote from the book of how vitamin d changes molecular structure to an active form of vitamin D.

Hold on let me get my nutrition book out…

ok, Understanding Normal and Clinical Nutrition , 8th edition

pg 377…vitamind d3 is a previtamin when your body produces it naturally from the sun, then yadda yadda yadda kidney and liver work some magic and its an active form.

Apparently vitamin D is actually a hormone…Vitamin D2 is the plant form…oh heres something interesting, the DRI reccomendation is assuming that you have no exposure to the sun (hence very large upper intake limit), the precursor for your body to make its own is just cholesterol.

Go with d3

Vitamin K…page 383…bacteria in your gut makes vitamin K that you can then absorb (can provide half of what you need). Really uncommon to overdose. You just eat vitamin k1 and your body worries about the rest. It makes k2 as needed.

From what I know the bacteria make K2 from K1 and just how reliable that process is I don’t know.

I don’t think any of those vitamins have anything to do with shit, you probably want fiber for that.