Dipotassium Phosphate - anyone know about this stuff?

Hi folks,

I am working on my own semi soylent formula… I am using a high quality multivitamin and a few other supplements on their own and adding to the drink those elements not accounted for. (will post formula here when done :))

Anyway, I am almost done but am having trouble with the Phosphorus component. Monosodium Phosphate / Calcium Phosphate are options, but can’t find any decent looking sources here in the UK (and am not to keen on loading up on sodium anyway), but I did find dipotassium phosphate here: http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/dipotassium-phosphate/10530446.html

The problem is, it is hard to find much info on this stuff… it seems to be a food additive and generally safe but I can’t even find out conclusively how much is potassium and how much is phosphorous, entering K2HPO4 on a few molar mass calculators (such as http://www.webqc.org/mmcalc.php) gives: Potassium: 44.90%, Phosphorous: 17.78%, Oxygen: 36.74%, Hydrogen: 0.58% (though disturbingly some calculators give a different percentage ;))

Also, I assume the rda is dealing with phosphorous § not phosphate (po)?

Can anyone clarify any of this, or provide any further info about this substance? ( I dread to think what this stuff will taste like ;))

You can calculate for yourself the respective masses of potassium and phosphorus in dipotassium phosphate using stoichiometry. Each gram of dipotassium phosphate contains 0.4489g potassium and 0.1778g phosphorus.

WolframAlpha gives you a very handy tool to calculate these things.

Or you can go with an actual serving size and it’ll give you the exact grams:

Useful thx :smiley:

I have decided for now (given the general lack of information about exactly what this substance does) to go the monosodium phosphate route. In fact that isn’t really true as I am probably going to cheat a little bit and sneakily use cream as a source of phosphorous, fats and calcium. (I don’t have an issue with saturated fat, cream is insanely cheap and always tasty right? ;))

At my “local” online bodybuilding shop they sell dipotassium phosphate. They say it increases oxygen absorption from the blood, restitution and the like. But, since they sell it for human consumption it should be safe yes :109:

If it works for you, sure, as long as you also look at the other nutrients contained in milk/cream.

The reason the official Soylent and most DIY formulas don’t use cream or most other real foods, is that cream is perishable.

Yeh, ideally I would like to not use cream… I tend towards a higher fat / paleo style diet so getting enough fats into soylent is tricky. I am assuming (I suspect correctly) that using enough cooking oil to get to the necessary calories for a paleo version isn’t going to be pretty taste wise however.

The problems with using a lot of cream are high saturated fat, high calcium. Other micronutrients dont seem to be a problem. I am fairly comfortable with high saturated fat, but this recipe it is VERY high so some more balancing might be in order :wink:

I would like to keep things non perishable, but this is the lowest priority on my list of reasons for trying soylent. My protein / carb source arrived today however, so (as I have been speculating on taste only) I can finally start playing around with some of the macronutrients and see what happens :smiley:

DjFarmor, yeh its probably ok to use, and is an interesting approach to getting some of the nutrients, the dipotassium phosphate route seems to avoid some of the sodium issues other recipes have so it might have some merit.

Unless you can’t remove some minerals from your actual soylent, you could maybe try with some “fat-free milk powder”?
For 100g (+/- 10%):

• 960mg phosphorus
  • 1780mg potassium
  • 1280mg calcium
  • 535mg sodium
  • 110mg magnesium
  • some vitamin A
  • 36% prot
  • 52% carbs
  • 0,8% fats

Plus it’s not perishable (or not as fast as ice cream). I think it could be an easy way to get phosphorus until you find/recieve something better.

Nice idea. My intention with cream personally however was to limit the lactose, as I don’t seem to tolerate vlarge amounts of it well, and heavy cream has vastly reduced lactose.

Milk powder seems like it might be extremely useful to those who can tolerate lactose well however, very nice amount of phosphorous / potassium / calcium / magnesium. For those who can handle it, it might allow a recipe to cut down nicely on costs (100g of milk powder is around £0.25 here). High amount of protein too so it could allow some reduction in the more costly protein powder :slight_smile:

For anyone searching the forum for this info: dipotassium phosphate tastes a bit like pee, and is a noticeable flavour around the level of 1g/litre. I wouldn’t recommend it if you can find Potassium Gluconate for a similar price. It is masked fairly well by other flavours but still, no need to make stuff taste like pee for no reason.

NB I’m not using ‘like pee’ as an insult, it’s just the closest descriptor I have. Like the pee of a healthy, well hydrated person - not deathpiss. It’s not particularly awful, but it is negative.

As a second opinion: I’m using 5 grams in my blend of 1.5 Litre total, and I haven’t tasted anything described by richardtkemp. YMMV

What about a combination of Monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4) and Tripotassium phosphate (K3PO4) ?
Together they can be tuned better to match any reasonable potassium and phosphate levels as primary source, at least from a chemical standpoint. My questions to you all here are as follows:

1. Do any of these two also taste like any kind of piss?
  2. Does both the phosphate and the potassium get effectively used in this case, or is one of them removed, or rendered inert in the intestine, in the process of making the other one bio-available?!

I think it’s possible that normal levels of K2HPO4 don’t impart a noticeable taste when mixed into a normal soylent, but I tested it in a particularly bland soylent, so nothing to cover it up. I’m not sure how the others taste, but I expect it would be similar.

In answer to part two - I’m pretty sure both do get effectively used. No worries there.

Saladface you mentioned “a high quality multivitamin”… what’s the brandname? I am using Seven Seas Multi Bionta