I’ve started experimenting with some DIY recipes.
Here are a couple that didn’t work out…
This grey, lumpy slurry will give you a sense of deja vu, as it looks and tastes like something you’ve already eaten once before. The acidity of the orange juice provides the extra bit of authenticity that other formulas lack!
My first attempt at a recipe containing maltodextrin.
I decided to try tapioca maltodextrin, as it is supposedly higher quality and contains slightly slower-burning carbs than other maltodextrins.
I’ve seen other recipes made with 100g or more of the stuff (including the official Soylent 1.0.) I wanted a more conservative amount, and I figured 47g sounded about right.
After making my first batch, I only drank 6-8 ounces of it. Within two minutes, I was experiencing the largest, most drastic energy surge I had ever felt. I was suddenly completely wired, physically and mentally, to a degree that was scary. I had to immediately start running in place, and doing jumping jacks and push-ups, in order to burn off the excess energy. It was like I had taken a drug.
I tried another small amount (maybe six ounces) the next morning, and had a similar effect.
It’s good to get some quick energy, but not quite that much! I think I’ll try cutting down the malto to 10g or so. For now, I’ve been adding a few ounces of this stuff to 8-10 ounces of a malto-free recipe, and that seems to work out alright.