DIY powdered oil without maltodextrin?

I have learned about the oil powder only today and the Soylent 1.4 release got me quite excited. I’ve found some DIY instructions, for example this and this and here’s an old thread too. Basically, you mix tapioca maltodextrin with oil and voila, there you have the powdered oil.

This got me wondering - does it have to be specifically maltodextrin or is it possible use some other ingredient, for example isomaltulose? We already use it in our DIY recipe, so infusing it with oil would be practical.

So I tried mixing the palatinose (isomaltulose) with olive oil, and it looks like this:

which is visually pretty similar to what I’ve seen in those DIY recipes and videos for maltodextrin oil powder. It tastes mildly sweet because of the palatinose, which the maltodextrin oil powder isn’t supposed to; but in the final mix, it doesn’t really matter.

I understand that maltodextrin probably has some unique property which isomaltulose doesn’t have, and that’s why it’s used in the process. But theoretically, are there any drawbacks to using other saccharides? If I mix this oil powder together with the rest of the dry ingredients of the recipe and keep it in a dark container, will it go bad faster than keeping the oil separately in a dark bottle?

Or are there any alternatives for powdered oil which don’t use maltodextrin? I know some distributions use flax, chia, hemp seeds and heavy cream powder for fat, but I’m specifically interested in powdered vegetable oils.

Before I got my official soylent, I was doing DIY (QuidNYC’s Superfood). After a while measuring in the oil every day, I started mixing a week’s worth of powder and then mixing the oil in. Then I would measure out I think 7 scoops for each day. That was about the right amount based on weight. The scoop I was using was 90 mL.

It seemed to work well. The powder would absorb the oil. It did make it darker and less floury. Like it wouldn’t make float in the air if you disturbed it like flour will. It was quite easy to use, and the oil wouldn’t seep out.

I wonder how long this keeps and how to make it keep longer… Can this be done with Protein powders?

Best way to increase shelf life is to store it in a oxygen-free bag away from light. Sealed mylar bag with an oxygen absorber works great.

I’d go for the fridge, too. Anaerobic bacteria thrive when you suppress aerobic bacteria by denying them oxygen.

If there are carbs, nitrates, and a little moisture, some kind of bacteria can get going, but cold slows them all down.

The oxygen absorber is a great idea to reduce oxidative rancidity in the oil, especially if you’re using an oil like flax. Monounsaturated oils don’t suffer much from oxidative rancidity, because that happens to more to polyunsaturated oils. But omega-3 and omega-6 are polyunsaturated… a lot of people like to use flax oil, which is high in ALA, and omega-3, which is very vulnerable to oxidative rancidity.

Mixing flax oil with a fluffy powder is effectively aerating it… and you’re very likely to have it go rancid quickly. Vacuuming out the air will help, the oxygen absorber will help, and the fridge or freezer will help (reaction is slowed by the cold.)

I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard good reports of people tossing the bags in the freezer. Makes sense.

I was worried it might be like this. Thanks for the explanation and tips!

The pseudo-powdered oil from my experiment still seems to be good after 6 days, being freely exposed to air at room temperature, but six days isn’t much.

So I guess my question is - is there no other powder that would have “maltodextrin-like” ability to create true powdered oil which doesn’t go rancid so fast?

To be honest, I’m speculating. It’s possible that the maltodextrin sucks up any available humidity and prevents the buggies, and if you use a mono oil, it could be fine…

I suppose the thing to do is to test.

Take a little mix, and a little plain oil, and store them in the same conditions… taste them while fresh, and then see which goes bad first, and after how long…

The third one is my original post where I suggested it! Back after 2 years lol. FInally trying official soylent.

Thanks, a few years later. This info is handy.

What I have found is that Tapioca Maltodextrin works best - something to do with its molecular/compound structure that is different from standard (and cheaper) Corn derived Maltodextrin. Added to that it has a lower Dextrose Equivalent (DE), and is absorbed slower.

Another recommendation for making powdered oils is to blend them in a nitrogen atmosphere (would probably go a long way to preventing the Oxidsation of the Polyunsaturated fats), but I have no idea how I would achieve this in a typical kitchen environment.