I’ve been working on my own recipe for soylent for a while now and I’ve finally gone and ordered all the stuff and started mixing. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6uqgfkRjm16ek41RXJuYmVKdFE/edit?usp=sharing
I used a .xcl template I found on this site. I’m not sure whose it was anymore, but thanks!
Some requirements that shaped this recipe:
It will NOT replace dinner. This is the biggest difference with most recipes out there I guess. I’m a student, living with other students and we’re very close and always eat together or with friends. I wouldn’t want to give this up. We generally eat pretty healthy cooked food. What this means for the recipe is that the macronutrients are a bit off. I decided that, since I cannot know what kind of micronutrients I’ll receive from dinner, I’d best just get everything at least 100% RDA. I checked to see which micronutrients had small margins between 100% RDA and UL and judged that whatever I would eat at dinner was very unlikely to go over the UL. I’m also guessing dinner will have enough chloride form salt in there, but to be honest I’m shaky on that.
For over a year now I’ve been fitnessing 5 days / week, 30 minutes per training. Although I feel very fit (which, coupled with mental health and lessons in discipline, is the main reason I do it), it hasn’t had the effect on my muscle development I would’ve liked. That’s why I wanted Soylent to be the vehicle through which I would finally get the appropriate amounts of protein. My recipe has 119g. My goal is 140g, since I weigh about 70kg. I’m assuming I’ll easily get the leftover 21g from dinner, since there is usually meat involved.
I’m a student so I want it cheap. I’m also Dutch which means that most of my ingredients come from overseas (we don’t have Amazon…). For instance I’ve found zero stores within the EU that sell monosodium phosphate. Same goes for potassium gluconate, although I’ve just found a seriously cheap source in the form of potassium nitrate, but I haven’t seen any recipes use it yet. Anyway having to ship stuff meant I wanted to buy from as few sources as possible. In my case bulkpowders.co.uk for the protein and oats (awesome store, fast shipping, best prices i’ve seen) and swansonvitamins (good prices, but shipping doubled the costs). I managed to get ingredients for 60 days for about €235, so almost €4,- / day.
I like how the Alive! Whole Food Energizer with Iron pretty much covers every micronutrient and also includes a blend of probiotics, mushroom stuff and greens. Seems good value.
So… my experience with the recipe so far (I’m on day 2):
Holy F* this tastes like puke mixed with seawater!!! Yeah, I was kind of taken aback by the taste… I’ve since started taking the multivit separately (it’s a tablet) which helped slightly in removing the puke taste, but still left the seawater. The real difference came when I added brown sugar. I opted out initially because I don’t need the extra calories, but man… something’s gotta give! It’s pretty nice now. Whew! Crisis averted. Wasn’t looking forward to this taste for the next two months. I’m gonna continue tweaking it for optimal taste and practical-ness.
Oh also I got diarrhea the first evening which I attribute to magnesium oxide. Didn’t know that was also used as a laxative… haha. Wasn’t bad today so maybe I have to adjust or find the right dosage. Otherwise I’m switching to magnesium taurate for the next version, which is supposedly awesome.
Fixes for version 2.0
- Source of sweetness (already found [cheap maltodextrine] source). Probably use about 50g of it and maybe take out some oil.
- Might switch to magnesium taurate
- Might use the more expensive, but liquid form of Alive! Whole food Energizer so I can mix it with the rest of the ingredients more easily and, hopefully, with better taste
- I use Lecithine granules for mixing the oils with water and as a source of choline. I’ve since learned that it might not be the right ingredient for either, although I’m pretty satisfied so far with its capacities as an emulsifier.
- I use linseed oil to tip the balance of omega 3 / 6 in 3’s favor. I’ve learned that it might not be the right kind of omega 3 though… will have to research.
- I use 150g of oats, which is a lot and it’s quite dominant. Since I’m already going to be using some maltodextrine for carbs, I might lower the amount. Might have to think about another source for fibre though.
Alright well there it is! I thought I’d share my experience and considerations since I’ve already lurked so much around here Let me know what you think, advice is very welcome!