DIY Recipe (Vegan), requesting second opinions!

Hi there,

I’m creating a vegan DIY Soylent recipe with some friends. It seems we have everything more or less complete, but it would be great if some of you could have a quick look! As more experienced people, you may be able to spot potential pitfalls before we start buying the ingredients.

The spreadsheet is visible here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aginfn56EnJmdGtwOUt5NGZzQmxfb2NKLUpGNEcydEE&usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!

Looks like a good start, though a lot of nutritional information is missing from the coconut flour and olive oil. Coconut flour is a good source of magnesium and manganese, while olive oil has good quantities of vitamins E and K.

Ah, good catch! I didn’t find exhaustive nutritional data on coconut flour, but didn’t realize it was just ground coconut which had been defatted. I’ve used the nutritiondata site, correcting for the lower amount of fat.* I’ve also added in the olive oil micronutrients, and tweaked some doses slightly, such as reducing the daily fiber intake.

It’s too bad some of the vitamins/minerals are a bit high, but they’re all below the upper limit, so I should be okay.

Thanks for having a look!

*Turns out that calculation is a bit more complicated than you would expect! My first intuition, dividing the fat values and then reducing the serving size by the fat that has been removed, is not actually correct. You have to make sure that the amount of fat that remains after the serving size is reduced is actually the right percentage. Anyway, that worked out fine in the end :slight_smile:

Edit: The isomaltulose is the most expensive part of the recipe. Maltodextrin would be cheaper, but isomaltulose looks like a pretty awesome carbohydrate. I’ll just shop around a bit, see if it’s available cheaper anywhere.

I just sent a request to Truenutrition.com to have them add isomaltulose to their ingredients available list. They are considering it, depending on “demand” - but I have no idea how they intend to assess that demand.

Well it wouldn’t hurt to have a bunch of different people from here asking about it :wink: I’ll do it if they ship to Australia, which they seem to.

Yesterday I tried my first batch!

Basically, it tastes pretty sweet (literally), and like coconut. About half of the people that tried it say they also taste the salt in it, although personally I don’t.

With 0.5 Litre of water, it’s a pudding. 0.75 makes it a thick milkshake, 1 makes it a thin milkshake. The latter makes 1.5 Litre of Soylent in total.

It’s pretty heavy, I figured I’d take 400 mL for breakfast, 400 for lunch, and 700 for dinner, but I’m pretty full after 400 mL. I drink it along with a glass of water, which is not a problem.

I might try to mitigate the tastes a bit, perhaps adding lemon juice to counter the sugar, and maybe swapping out some of the coconut later. But all in all it’s not bad :slight_smile:

Palatinose is a very useful carb, but may be unhealthy in high doses due to the Fructose ‘content’. Read here (mostly toward the end, but just search for Palatinose / Isomaltulose) for some discussion. You should probably bring your daily intake down to 100g max. This will also alleviate the sweetness. Don’t worry about not getting as much carb as the recommended amount, you body doesn’t actually need that much (if any).

If you find yourself losing weight due to reduction in calorie intake, you can increase olive oil or coconut flour to compensate

Good point, thanks! I’ll look into other options.

You mention I don’t need to get 320 grams of carb. Can you explain why? Most sources I find seem pretty unanimous about the carb requiremens.

Re-checking my macros, it seems I’m a bit high on protein. Being quite light and thin, I only need 60*0.89 = 53 gram per day. It depends on which reference you use though :confused:
The other recommendations (fiber, fat) are equally varying. It’s hard to judge what a good amount is.

It’s hard to judge because there isn’t a consensus of opinion in science, let alone a consensus of body types and needs. Many of the recommended daily intakes are basically just set like so: “What do most people eat? Do people that eat more seem healthier? (No) Do people that eat less seem healthier? (No) Well, that’s probably the right amount then!”

Simplistic… but generally not a bad starting point. But the classic example for carbohydrate need is eskimos, they basically only eat (ate?) fish, 24/7 all year round. Very very low carbs, certainly less than 100g per day. There are actually reasonable arguments for carbohydrates being intrinsically unhealthy due to their effects on insulin sensitivity. But, taking a moderate amount of low-GI carbs spread across the day is likely pretty okay. If you’re curious about the need for carbohydrates, see the first half or so of this for a brief but technical discussion.

Indeed, the blend is much more palatable with less sugar :slight_smile: I tried 200 gram today (since I don’t have an alternative yet), and it’s not as sweet anymore. I think I’ll replace another 100 gram with whole-wheat flour, which also takes care of some of the fiber requirements. That should take the edge of the strong coconut taste, too.

The lower amount of powder in general makes the shake a bit more liquid, which is a good thing!

Yesterday and today, I’ve been having a light headache. It could simply be that it’s warm, and I’ve been staring at computer screens a lot.

But it could also be Soylent. Anything in my recipe that could cause this?

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient.
This is a simple fact you can Google for.
They can be replaced caloricaly by either fat or protein.

I’ve had the same problem with most of my soylent preparations, the problem seems to be the potassium. Your body will adjust.
Otherwise I would ask Rob for more info.

Carbohydrates are not an essential nutrient.
This is a simple fact you can Google for.
They can be replaced calorically be either fat or protein.

I suppose that makes sense. You just eat them for calories and building blocks, both of which can be supplied by protein/oil.

I’ve had the same problem with most of my soylent preparations, the problem seems to be the potassium. Your body will adjust.

Did you have this for too little or for too much potassium? I’m currently at 3.7 gram, which is 80% of RDA. I could up my di potassium phosphate a little if necessary.

I think the suggestion is actually that that is too much compared to what you’re used to, but probably the healthiest amount.

Fair enough, I’ll wait it out, see if it changes. It’s really very light, so it doesn’t bother me much.

I’m confused. How is it that oil has 9 calories per gram, and sugar only has 4? I thought sugar was basically pure calories?

Yeah, turns out oil is too though. The body just gets more out of oil. A calorie isn’t a ‘thing’, it’s just a unit of energy measurement, like an inch.

I think that misconception comes from the fact that sugars/carbs are usually the culprit in weight gain, however, our body gets more energy from fat. How much of that energy it spends to make glucose from fats I have no idea.

The body burns sugar and fat in very different ways. A glucose molecule supplies the body with 42 ATP (the basic energy carrier in your cells), while a fatty acid, for example 18-C, yields ±120 ATP, and a triglyceride ±360 ATP (a triglyceride is one fat molecule). Glucose is 180 gramme/mol and 18-C fatty acid is 282 gramme/mol. The the ATP per gramme correspondents roughly in a 4:9 ratio.

The math/chemistry is not perfectly correct, for example I did not take into account the glycerol in fat, but you still get te idea.

For those that can not follow this calculation: what I basicly did, is find how much energy there is in a sugar molecule and a fat molecule, and calculate the ratio of energy per gramme for each molecule, and then I compared these ratios.