DIY Soylent 1.4 for less than $2.50/day...complete, good taste, texture

This is a real alternative to commercial Soylent at around 1/4 the price. See the recipe and info.

My guess is that the commercial Soylent guys are trying too hard to please every faction. It’s turned into an upscale product. A middle of the road approach used here is much less expensive. If I can make this for less than $2.50/day ordering everything online, a commercial operation should be able to ship a commercial version for that price because their economy of scale is huge.

I mix a month’s supply at a time in a 5 gal bucket.

Background: My family has been using the official Soylent (1.1 through 1.4) for about 5 months for 1-2 meals a day. At the same time, I’ve been experimenting with my own recipes, while matching the official Soylent nutrition, and finding the right prices for the ingredients. My latest version (matching 1.4 macronutrients, with complete micronutrients) has been a hit with the family, who says it tastes better than the official product, and we’ve now switched over to this for the past month and a half, and my son’s family is also using it

Considering the price hasn’t changed, up or down, I find that comment laughable. It’s either always been upscale or it hasn’t. You have to remember RL has way more overhead than you do AND they have to turn a profit.

The only “bad” thing I can see in your recipe is there is no DHA or EPA. It’s not that big of a deal. I would suggest adding some lecithin to keep the oil and water from separating.

The better quality, the time savings (purchasing, mixing, etc.), and the trust in the product is worth a few dollars more per day to me to get the real stuff.

To save time, I mix about 4-6 months at a time of the vitamins and minerals (the pills go in the blender) including salt and sucralose, and save the powder to add to the monthly batches.

Nice recipe and techniques, especially the above. This recipe does not seem to have a complete amino acid profile, am I missing something?

If it tastes better than Soylent, and you can make it for so cheap, I suggest you increase your operation and go into business for yourself. There seems to be nothing to prevent you from surpassing Rosa Labs.

Keep us informed in the coming months of your success!

I would prefer that he focus on making these savings available to us consumers directly rather than seeking a $20 million loan as Rosa Labs did. I appreciate the detailed DIY instructions.

The two are intertwined. I am happy that Rob has said numerous times that his goal remains to bring the cost down. And while technically it is venture capitalism (different than a loan), the $20 million has been targeted to increase the production capabilities 50x (which removed the 5-month backlog), and research into micro-biology (really, to decrease gas, one of the main drawbacks of earlier versions). These are necessary steps to be taken in order to lower the price.

As do I.

Considering the price hasn’t changed, up or down, I find that comment
laughable. It’s either always been upscale or it hasn’t.

By upscale I mean that they have focused their efforts so far into trying to satisfy every consumer wish rather than decreasing the price. We’ll see how things evolve with them over a longer time.

Haven’t had a problem with oil separating.

Well I hope someone does compete with them on a large scale. Someone will if “meal replacement” becomes socially acceptable. But I’m happily employed…

For amino acids I looked at the profile at oats and rice. They look pretty complete, except slightly lower on lysine. What else can you see is missing?

It’s way too soon for an operation like theirs to consider lowering the price. They have a ton of startup costs to get it to the point they are, and need to recoup those plus have revenue for increased R&D, hiring more support staff, expanding facilities, etc.

I had never actually looked into the definition of “Complete Protein” before but apparently according to wikipedia which references IOM

A complete protein (or whole protein) is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine of the essential amino acids necessary for the dietary needs of humans or other animals

(emphasis is mine) the proportions are listed in a table on the wikipedia page. Thus, although your recipe does contain a positive amount of lysine, it is not enough to be considered complete and may lead to deficiency. Looks like adding some spirulina could help, but it would turn the recipe green almost surely.

LOL and I’m sure we all know where that would lead…

I do agree they seem to be trying to please everybody and that’s just impossible.

More than 25g per day is unhealthy, isn’t it?

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2014/consultation-sugar-guideline/en/

Your recipe has 36g + Maltodextrin.

Actually the WHO recommends keeping added sugar (not to be confused with intrinsic sugar) under 5% of calories. The amount per gram would depend on how many calories you eat not a hard number of 25g.

That much sugar might be unhealthy if you’re adding it to a normal diet. For example, bread usually has sugar and fruit has lots. Potatoes has a higher glycemic index than sugar. But starting from a very-slow carb soylent baseline of only oat flour and rice protein, I doubt it’s unhealthy.

It seems it will be simple to add some lysine (source) with no real change in cost:

Thanks for the link. I followed it to the full recommendations:

• “In both adults and children, WHO recommends reducing the intake of
    free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake2 (strong
    recommendation). • WHO suggests a further reduction of the intake of
    free sugars to below 5% of total energy intake (conditional
    recommendation). • Free sugars include monosaccharides and
    disaccharides added to foods and beverages by the manufacturer, cook
    or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit
    juices and fruit juice concentrates.”

This recipe has 7% of calories from sugar (disaccharide), which is lower than their “strong recommendation (10%)” and close to their “hopeful” one (5%). Their 5% goal doesn’t count fruit eaten, so if you’re replacing some fruit consumption with this, it could easily meet their 5% goal.

OK, I did an essential amino acid profile of this recipe. It has 150% or greater than the WHO minimum for each essential amino acid. So to my knowledge it is “complete”. The balance seems pretty good to me except that oats are really high in tryptophan (helps you sleep?..canceled by the cocoa?).