DIY Soylent - overloaded DRI/Recommended Daily Amount of vitamins

Pulling some examples from here (http://diy.soylent.me/recipes?sort=favoritesCount) :

(Recipe/Result 1)

Vitamin B6 (mg)	1.3	33.4	100	2568%
Vitamin B12 (ug)2.4	33.3		1389%

(Recipe/Result 2)

Vitamin A (IU)	3000	6850	10000	228%
Vitamin B6 (mg)	1.3	50.2	100	3862%
Vitamin B12 (ug)2.4	50		2083%
Vitamin C (mg)	90	300	2000	333%
Vitamin D (IU)	600	1044	4000	174%
Vitamin E (IU)	20	37	1000	184%
Vitamin K (ug)	120	160		133%
Thiamin (mg)	1.2	51.4		4283%
Riboflavin (mg)	1.3	50.2		3862%

(Recipe/Result 3)

Thiamin (mg)	1.1	26.785		2435%
Riboflavin (mg)	1.1	25.615		2329%

What’s going on here? Are these designed for long-term daily intake? Are they anything near safe amounts?

I expected DIY soylent might be incomplete as the graphic shows for each recipe, but my next confusion would be- why associate Soylent with inferior original DIY products, rather than just openly give the details of the thinking already done to get to a better overall product?

I was reading Rob’s “AMA” on Reddit and he indicated giving away his genome and other Open Source like things was a very ideal thing for the future of mankind, and that’s definitely something I agree with, I couldn’t agree more in openness, transparency and so on because these are fundamental drivers of prosperity in my worldview. It only seems to make sense to help the DIYers along… the only obstacle seems to be money.

Well, what I really wanted to know was if these amounts are safe. That would clarify for me that the DIYers know what they are doing. I read Thiamin isn’t harmful at 500mg I think, but it still seems risky in general to take advantage of this, as a long-term consistent ‘method’. I thought, even with the commercial Soylent, it’s better to switch up your (DIY) drinks to avoid adverse effects.

I also wonder what little the micronutrients and vitamins are in the frozen meals and breads and so on, your typical supermarket/store food is? If anyone has sources for this kind of information?

For example, broccoli is best cooked steamed because this destroys the least micronutrients. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is to stop me adding vegetables or dried vegetable powder or dried ground up nuts, seeds and berries to Soylent? Why is it not needed?

Checkout Rob’s blog, he documented the creation of Soylent quite thoroughly. And the DIY products are done in the same spirit.

You are asking a lot of questions and many of them are not clear on what exactly it is you are asking but I will try my best.

I’m not sure what you mean by what’s going on here. Each recipe on the DIY website is an individuals own recipe and thus they may have their own ideas on how they will use soylent. What I mean by that is, some may be intended to be consumed long term, others not. That depends on the individual who created the recipe. Theoretically though, yes I would imagine they are designed for long-term daily intake. Keep in mind however that there are both good and bad recipes on the DIY soylent and the nutritional knowledge of their creators varies. It is obvious some of the DIYers and recipes are created with very little nutritional knowledge while others have been put together by people who do intend to consume it longterm and somewhat know what they are doing.

You ask, “Are they anything near safe amounts?” It would be easier to answer this question if you were more specific on the recipe you want me to look at or vitamin. I don’t feel like analyzing and breaking down all these vitamins to you. I will say however that in general we need to be careful about the levels of fat-soluble vitamins we consume, that is, A, D, E, and K. Water soluble vitamins like the B’s and C are flushed out in urine so as long as you have healthy kidneys they shouldn’t pose a health risk when consumed in large amounts.

Again this confuses me, especially the last part. I think you are incorrectly assuming that official Soylent is better then DIY soylent. It is becoming increasingly clear to me that DIY is superior to the official product and while I am looking forward to trying the “real” thing I most likely will continue to DIY for some time. There are numerous issues brought up about Soylent which are discussed in other threads.

Yes, I use the USDA’s database which you can access here: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
Despite being a government organization that is rather corrupt they do use sound science behind their nutritional analysis of various foods and I trust their results. You can also find information about different cooking methods there and the effect it has on nutrition, ie: for broccoli you can find on that website information for, raw broccoli, broccoli leaves, broccoli stalks, broccoli frozen, broccoli boiled, etc.

If you are talking about official Soylent, well nothing is stopping you. Perhaps Rob might say, the vitamins and fiber you would get by adding broccoli is already in Soylent and thus not needed. There are other compounds in plants then those which are considered essential vitamins and thus some might say that broccoli, ground up nuts, berries, etc. is needed to create a better soylent, inwhich case it would be a possibly superior DIY product.

I hope I helped.

I know that for a while the DIY spreadsheet wasn’t totaling correctly, I am not sure if its fixed now or not.
Soylent is a product for people who don’t have time to ‘DIY’ or fear that in their attempts, will make themselves sick.

As for the amounts, the USDA’s upper limit is sometimes a best-guess, and an average, based off an average individual, which last I knew for a male was something like, 5’ 9", and some 170lbs, which doesn’t fit every bodies needs or lifestyles. [quote=“Sorlaize, post:1, topic:10429”]
what is to stop me adding vegetables or dried vegetable powder or dried ground up nuts, seeds and berries to Soylent? Why is it not needed?
[/quote]

Because Soylent is already at the 100% values for every nutritional need (when compared to USDA’s list). If you want to add extras, you may go over the recommended values, but these may or my not of negative consequences. Since each person is different, those who DIY tweak it based on their needs and their body’s feedback.

You’ve nicely documented the answer yourself. In your own examples, not one upper limit is violated.

Cheers