DIY Soylent Recipe

I’ve been using a DIY Soylent recipe (http://soylentmaker.com/the-beginners-diy-soylent-recipe) with some minor tweaks for a little over a month now and I love it. Like the creator Rob, I ate like crap to a point where my weight and health were a rollercoaster ride. I can’t be bothered to cook so Soylent is the most efficient way to get my body all its necessary reqs, decrease my eco footprint and stabilize my monthly “food” expenses.

1st and foremost, big thank you to Rob and the creator of the DIY Soylent recipe above.

2nd, I made some tweaks and would like to provide some feedback. I switched the flavor of the Whey Protein from Dark Chocolate to Cookies n Cream. Another big change was the elimination of the olive oil and table salt and addition of 1.5 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter. With those changes, I can finish 1/2 day’s serving size of Soylent in less than 2 minutes because it actually tastes great.

3rd, the biggest change I made was the elimination of the Fitness Fiber. I had stomach issues with the Fitness Fiber to a point where I decreased the intake to 50%, then completely eliminated it. My stomach issues are completely resolved. Phew.

4th, what’s a good alternative to Fitness Fiber? I imagine I’m not the only person with stomach issues arising from the Fitness Fiber so I’d love to hear feedback from someone that had similar stomach issues and found a comparable alternative.

Lastly, my friend brought a very good point, but bear with me here. How is ANY Soylent recipe mitigating nutrient absorption “issues”? My friend is a food nut and he loves the idea of Soylent but has been hesitant because drinking your nutrients is fine and dandy, but what is the absorption rate since the digestive system is not “working” on digesting the liquid form.

I would like to add my “new” regiment, I would say I’m on 95% Soylent with the weekend dinners with friends. Those dinners now consist of seafood or all natural ingredients. I also eat much more fruit during the day.

Again thanks everyone.

with the elimination of table salt what are your sodium and chloride levels at?

and you should actually absorb MORE with a liquid diet, think surface area, peristalsis will be slowed but the gut (stomache and instestines) will remain motile, its sort of an automatic response if you will, it just knows somethings coming and it needs to keep it moving. The only studies I’ve seen with problems were of people on Total parenteral nutrition, which is when you have an IV line directly dumping nutrients into your blood, completely bypassing the GI.

According to the ingredients list, Fitness Fiber is Polydextrose, Fibersol-2, Inulin, Guar Gum, Psyllium Seed Husk, Gum Arabic.

If you’re sensitive to psyllium husk, as some others here are, that could be messing you up. I would recommend using a quarter teaspoon of xanthan gum (beware, this stuff is hydrophilic with a vengeance and will make everything it touches feel slightly slimy, so exert strong controls over the possible spillage) along with oat bran and/or other soluble and insoluble fibers. Pectin is one possibility, but you’d be better off to find it in a bulk thing rather than the overpriced way it’s normally sold. The total should be somewhere near 28 grams a day total fiber.

Do you have to blend it to get the peanut butter to mix?

I don’t know if all natural peanut butter is different, but the USDA stats for generic peanut butter show a crazy 220-to-1 ratio of omega-6s to omega-3s. Most of the advice I’ve seen says that ratio should be 4-to-1 or lower.

I put all the ingredients, including the pills into a big blender and blend everything. 30 seconds later, it’s all liquid.

Just a note, I have a stomach of steel and my 1st 2 weeks of soylent were rougher than expected. My stomach has adjusted so I’m slowly reintroducing the Fitness Fiber into my recipe and my stomach is holding up.

As for the salt, I really need to find an alternative because salt changes the taste of my mix drastically and I really love the taste of my mixes right now. Any suggestions in regards to alternatives to salt?

Lastly, what are people doing to get rid of the “oats at the bottom” issue? I had thought a day in the fridge within the mix would do oats good, but no dice. I usually have a mix ready for consumption in the fridge 24 hours ahead of time, but the oats are still resting at the bottom of the mix. Suggestions?

I keep my daily mix in some blender bottles in the fridge, so when it comes time to actually drink it, I just give the bottle a quick shake and anything that has settled will be mixed nicely again.

Just like orange juice.