DIY Soylent sans sucralose

Hello,

I’m working with a dietician who is telling me that I really need to pass on the sucralose in Soylent, even if just the 15mg. My question is, does anyone have a link to a DIY soylent recipe (you know the kind that throws all ingredients in a cart automatically on amazon) that is exactly 1.5 sans sucralose?

I’ve tried searching myself and its just a bit overwhelming in there.

Thanks!

There’s no diy that is exactly v1.5 sans sucralose.

I’m curious, why did your dietician tell you to pass on sucralose? I’m not an expert in any fashion, but according to the reddit AMA @rob is currently doing,

“Sucralose is one of the most extensively studied chemicals in existence and everything has overwhelmingly pointed to its safety. Soylent also has a very small amount, around 5mg / serving, much lower than other products that contain it.”

Depression, Insomnia, bladder issues, headaches and cancer is what she says. I’ve experienced 3/5 of these personally

Dieticians are not physicians, so be on red alert for quackery when receiving advice. None of those things are even remotely linked to sucralose, your consultant is feeding you uninformed speculation.

Which 3?

All 5 are not unique to any amount of sucralose exposure and can be caused by just about anything.

Actually, “nutrtionist” is the self-claimed title. “Dietician” is a valid medical profession and requires a degree, formal study, a period of professional medical internship, and specialized exams/continuing education - but I find it very surprising that a dietician is singling out sucralose, much less the small amount in a product like Soylent.

@troypayne, do make sure they’re really a Registered Dietician, and not just referring to themselves as one.

If it’s 15 mg in the bag, then it’s just 5 mg per serving (on a three-meal breakdown). For comparison:

For example, a standard 12-ounce can of diet soda would require only 70 milligrams (0.07g) of sucralose compared to a full-calorie version that would typically contain about 40g of sugar or high fructose corn syrup.
(From http://sucralose.org/your-questions-answered/)

I don’t think there has been much success in this area, because powdered oils are still something of a rarity. Some people play with manufacturing their own powdered oil.

You will find many recipes that simulate versions 1.0 through 1.3, before they introduced the powdered oil. Many are based on Schmoylent, which was designed as a Soylent clone.

My primary DIY recipes are based on Schmoylent, use primarily canola oil for fats, and I use stevia as a sweetener.

I just spent ten minutes searching “sucralose and [depression/Insomnia/bladder issues/headaches/cancer].”

Each of the searches ended up with notes such as “nothing in medical literature shows that sulacrose is in any way harmful” or “no such effects were found, and FDA’s approval is based on the finding that sucralose is safe for human consumption.”

Many of the sites determined that any myths (a word that showed up multiple times) originated from “studies” funded by the Sugar Association. Yes, there is a sugar lobby.

I will add, the FDA drew their findings on 110 separate studies, not one which found negative effects. And two months ago, PepsiCo switched from Aspartame to Sucralolose for their diet drinks, citing safety. Other major chains are also switching to Sucralose, as the science shows it is safe.

It would be interesting if you have your dietician cite the studies or sources that link sulacrose to any of the five symptoms she listed.

Seriously???

Yup,

http://www.sugar.org/ (You guys)
http://www.sugar.ca/Home.aspx (the Canuck version)

And these people have serious lobbyists.

Edited to add: If an artificial sweetener is demonstrated to be safe (something that sugar itself can’t quite claim), then it reduces the market for sugar (and its farmers, processors, etc.)

Yeah, the sugar people are serious business.

Also, they’re a part of why the embargo with Cuba has lasted so long… sugar was a major export for Cuba, which used to keep the US sugar price down.

It sounds all “Illuminati,” but they have power…

In May, 1960, the Cuban government began to openly purchase regular armaments from the Soviet Union, citing the US arms embargo. In July, 1960, the United States reduced the Cuban import quota of brown sugar to 700,000 tons, under the Sugar Act of 1948;[16] and the Soviet Union responded by agreeing to purchase the sugar instead. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_embargo_against_Cuba

The complete trade embargo began in late 1961.

Some people think the embargo had something to do with communists and Marxists, but it may have been the sugar people all along!