Do we need to add Enzymes to our Soylent?

The same Dr. Edward Howell who founded the National Enzyme Company in 1932? No conflict of interest there.

2 Likes

We’ll make sure to not waste our time listening to you then!

Do as you please, I am not trying to make you listen.

So either he was a genuine guy who wanted to create a product that he truly believed could help people, or he was a profit maximizing egocentric moron.

That’s a false dichotomy, people aren’t necessarily conscious of all the influences on their mind. In fact we’re conscious of very few of our influences.

So you want me to believe that what Matt88 said was misleading but you won’t try to prove your point. Talk about wasting time.

Like your interview with Dr. Howell. He makes all kinds of claims but no proof is offered to support those claims.

It is an interview. Of course he does not provide proof after every sentence. Have you read his book?. Some of his research is decent IMO. Some would say the opposite of course.
Obviously there will be critiques pointing out unproven claims of his, because it is difficult to prove.

Still, I am NOT advocating for the use of digestive enzymes, and I am NOT trying to prove anything. I just added to this thread that someone out there claims the opposite of what Matt88 claimed. And those interested can go check it out if they want to.

“someone wrote a book saying a different thing” is not exactly prime scientific material.

edit: being direct though, there are only two enzyme supplements I know of that have been studied in humans: lactase and the stuff in Beano. The studies show lactase supplementation does help people who are lactose-intolerant (don’t produce their own lactase) to digest milk, and the Beano one does reduce gas from eating high-fiber stuff. As noted above though, reducing the fiber that gets to your gut by digesting more of it earlier may not be good. Other enzymes and big enzyme blends are sold without trial backing.

Howell dug himself a deep credibility hole with the assertion “I believe [enzyme deficiency is] one of the paramount causes of premature aging and early death. I also believe it’s the underlying cause of almost all degenerative disease.”

Then post some of it and be prepared to have a debate on its merits. That’s really all I’m asking for.

1 Like

I never intented to provide prime scientific material.

The lack of human trials is problematic I admit. But it does not mean that supplementing digestive enzymes can’t be beneficial even though it has not been scientifically proven.

I am not interested in starting a time consuming discussion. That’s really all I am saying.

If there is no credible evidence in 2015, even though the company was founded in 1932, maybe it is strictly a money-making endeavor.

I read one of their white papers and it was a joke.

2 Likes

Taking supplemental enzymes that target a specific compound which you are sensitive to is good(lactase for those who have trouble digesting lactose, for example), but I’m skeptical of the various all-in-one miracle enzyme supplements out there. As has been mentioned before, it could become a concern for the health of our gut flora and have unknown effects on the actual nutritional value of what we’re eating. The debate that this Dr. Howell brings up, however dubious his “findings” may be, seems to be centered around the concept that our cooking methods denature naturally occurring enzymes in our food. But we’re talking about Soylent: a synthetic food designed to be complete without the help of any enzymes that aren’t native to the human body.So Dr. Howell’s stuff is irrelevant in this context.

1 Like