Does it make sense to take Statins to lower bad cholesterol?

I took Crestor for years but stopped about six months ago when I started drinking Soylent. I don’t have heart disease. One reason I stopped is that a friend of mine mentioned that statins don’t increase life expectancy for people who don’t have heart disease. Internet articles like this seem to confirm that.

http://chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-statins-dont-save-lives-in-people-without-heart-disease

But I really don’t know who to believe. Do you guys believe in taking statins or have any of you decided not to take statins despite a doctor recommendation to do so?

I am taking Statins, but I read a pretty convincing journal article a few days ago that claimed that pro-Statin advocates had deliberately exaggerated the benefits of Statins and minimised their risks. This was in Science Daily.

I will take statins until my doctor tells me to stop. I see her on Tuesday; hopefully she will give the green light to do so. If not, I will put her judgment over the generic information of an internet article.

Here’s the beginning of that article:

Hailed as miracle drugs when they hit the market two decades ago, statins, the cholesterol-lowering drugs prescribed to prevent heart attacks, are not as effective nor as safe as we have been led to believe, say Dr. David M. Diamond, a professor of psychology, molecular pharmacology and physiology at the University of South Florida, and Dr. Uffe Ravnskov, an independent health researcher and an expert in cholesterol and cardiovascular disease.

According to Diamond and Ravnskov, statins produce a dramatic reduction in cholesterol levels, but they have “failed to substantially improve cardiovascular outcomes.” They further state that the many studies touting the efficacy of statins have not only neglected to account for the numerous serious adverse side effects of the drugs, but supporters of statins have used what the authors refer to as “statistical deception” to make inflated claims about their effectiveness.

Good God, people!

Don’t make life and drug decisions based on an internet forum! Go talk to a doctor!

Doctors are often given information from medical reps atleast as much as they get information from medical journals. I know a few of them like that.

Statins help in lowering cholesterol and improve cardiovascular outcomes. But there are a lot of side-effects of statins… physical weakness, memory loss etc. So unless you have higher than normal cholesterol its not wise to take them in my opinion. Its upto you ultimately.

I will listen to my doctor.

Speaking as a nurse
1 get your blood work done. A complete. Metabolic panel and a lipid profile.
2 research from reputable sites. CDC, NIH to name a few. Don’t take anything at face value without looking at the sponsors of the research. This is not to say all big pharmacy research is bias. I know a doctor who had research sponsored by a drug company and when the data was showing potential harm instead of benefit he stopped the study, wrote the paper and the drug company supported the results as reported.
3 talk WITH your doctor. Debate the merits of taking a medication vs risks both short and long term.
4 Get retested. If your blood work improves and you have been on medication talk about reducing or eliminating the drug. Follow up is important for continued good health
5 Last don’t be afraid to also explore alternative treatments. Keep your options open.
Hope this helps.

At one time, psychoanalyists all believed in Freudian analysis, which currently has a lot less support. My point is that doctors appear to be as subject to the whims of fashion as anyone else.

When the idea of recognizing caffeine withdrawal an actual official mental illness is being seriously proposed… you know there’s something really broken with the medical profession (or at least the mental health profession).

I’m a firm believer in talking to your doctor in your situation.

I’m 99% sure that if you’re in the marginal camp, they’ll let you make the call, and if they strongly feel you should still be taking statins in your situation given the current research, they’ll tell you that honestly.

Problem is that I had one doctor try to get me on statins even though it was within five minutes of meeting me and there had been absolutely no testing of any kind done at the time. “Talk to your doctor” doesn’t benefit me because I don’t have one.

Eve

Perhaps the better phrase is " find a doctor who is open minded and sees you as a collaborator in your healthcare. " I too have met doctors and nurses who don’t take the time to know the patient. If someone told me I need to take a certain medication without talking with me and reviewing my history and lab metrics I would say thanks but no thanks and find another doctor.

Okay, then you need to find a real doctor… and then talk to them.

To be fair, this doctor may have made the recommendation within five minutes of meeting you, but they may have also been looking at your chart or labs or etc. before walking in the door. Not saying this is the case, but it’s certainly likely if they were already onto discussing medication five minutes into meeting you.

What labs? There had been no labs done. My chart was new, it was my first visit to the clinic.

Fact is, that doctors tend to take one look at my build and they start to make assumptions. I had one who started the lecture about blood pressure. And then he took mine. Normal. Ooops.

I work among doctors in a regulatory agency. They’re not great listeners.

Eve

Maybe I’ve had an awful lot of good luck and good references.

I just got a blood test. After 7 months of stopping statins and drinking Soylent 2 to 3 times per day, my results were as follows:

178 Cholesterol
49 HDL
114 LDL
73 Triglyceride

According to the blood test report, these fall within the “standard range.”

I also got a comprehensive metabolic panel-MHS and everything was in the standard range.

I haven’t spoken to my doc yet about the results.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Those looks like good numbers.

Why did you start taking statins in the first place?

I started due to my doctor’s recommendation after a blood test years ago. I don’t remember what my numbers were on that first test.

But I vaguely recall my total cholesterol being a little over 200 and my doctor has often said that my good cholesterol isn’t very high.