Does Soylent destroy bones?

There’s this myth that milk builds strong bones, when if fact it makes them weaker:
http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
What about Soylent? I mean, I’m not going to drink Soylent if it doesn’t strengthen my bones.
So does anyone know what effects Soylent has on bones?

/facepalm
Science is awesome.

I can feel it in my bones.

I suspect we are going to see more drive by shooting posts like this as the product ship date draws closer.

It turns them into Adamantium.

That was a serious question, when I throw a punch I don’t want my fist to shatter on impact.

to quote a user reply in said link, “There’s a sucker born every minute”. I don’t see the author of that article providing any factual evidence that milks bad for you, just snippets that can be read any which way the author wants you to read them.

And the 12 year long Harvard Nurses’ Health Study found that those who consumed the most calcium from dairy foods broke more bones than those who rarely drank milk. This is a broad study based on 77,761 women aged 34 through 59 years of age.

In the authors’ own words:

“These data do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures.” (Source: Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997). 

Take this for example, her translation (I think Vivian is a girls name), adds her own embellishment. They (the authors of the study) say drinking more milk or in taking more calcium doesn’t protect against fractures. Vivian translates that into “milk breaks bones”, which IS NOT what that study said at all. What was to be taken away from the study is that taking more calcium does not reduce the risk of bone fracture.

This study came out some time ago, since then more research has been done and its been found while calcium is needed for bone health, it is not the leading factor in bone condition. Indeed vitamin K seems to have a role in bone fractures as well, and your genetic makeup would affect your bone health. As is there is enough calcium in Soylent to maintain bone health, as well as the other vitamins and needed elements to maintain a healthy person.

Vitamin D and K + Calcium to be more broad is important for bone health :smiley: and like you also said, many more nutrients…

to @Abstractness
No, Soylent isn’t going to destroy your bones… depending on your diet before, it might even strenghten them (if your diet was poor) worst case you will see no change at all.
This being based on my current understanding of nutrients and all the posts about it in the past.

Also, I been a milk abuser for my entire life… drinking more than you should, never broke a bone.

Ok thanks. She said that milk has a strongly positive potential renal acid load, which weakens bones. Not only her but also other doctors said that. What about Soylent, does it have a positive potential renal acid load too?

Quote from debunking web site:

"Milk is an acidifying animal protein"
I actually don’t even know what to say!

This is the worst biochemical statement I have ever read. All proteins are made from 20 amino acids (21 if you include selenocysteine), maybe she misunderstood the word amino acid. The name refers to the acid group and the basic group (amine) that balances it out. The molecules themselves are mostly neutral with a few acidic and a few basic. But a person who has a Master’s degree in anything life science related, as her title suggests, must know that right? Right? RIGHT?

I actually need to be more critical about how bad this section is. Milk is very slightly acidic (it is actually pH 6.7, our blood being 7.35 to 7.45 on the slight basic range). But you begin digest the milk, and all other food in stomach acid which has a pH of 2 which is ~10000x more acidic than milk. In normal health conditions your body can keep it blood pH the same with it’s built in buffers and can easily deal any acid produced by your stomach by the bicarbonate (commonly known as baking soda) your pancreas makes. It does not destroy your bones or kidneys as she would like to suggest! Honestly this paragraph has the worst science in the entire article; It is so bad I can hardly formulate a response.

Debunking the Debunking http://thatsnotscience.blogspot.com/2013/02/debunking-debunking.html

So do lots of other things. The Morlife group (see alkalisinggreens.com) produced a list:

http://www.alkalisinggreens.com/files/pdf/PRAL-List.pdf

But like all groups that find a random scientific fact they decided to take it to its logical, absurd conclusion. You will see that milk is only on the cusp of acidic foods. If you dial down you will see lots of foods that are in fact good food.

As to “why milk”, if there’s a large group that is fanatically anti-milk, partly for humanitarian reasons re the cows, and they “milk” the data to try to indicate that milk is utter poison. I like dairy products, however, and notice when I haven’t gotten enough of them.

Eve

Who are you? Why do you ask such strange questions?

I haven’t found any document that comes out and says that renal acid load leads to weakened bones. There was a paper recently (2013) published that says it may cause a slight increase in type 2 diabetes, but goes on to say they can’t be sure as over the period of study the patients may have changed their eating habits and not reported the change.

I do however, think it should be noted that the second newest paper came out in 2003, and the oldest in 1995. In short, there’s virtually no information that the renal acid load does much of anything, good or bad.

“Soylent has had a positive effect on my well being. In short, it makes me feel great! I’d say it would probably do the same for you, but I’m a doctor, not a psychiatrist.” - Leonard H. McCoy

Thank goodness this is backed by scientific study!! ummm… Oh, I see there is no scientific study. Did you know that eating pork makes your ears and toes grow longer!!

Just like rabbits!

… You know, from all the pork they eat…