Dried Fruit + Tofu + multivitamin vs Soylent

So my work situation changed in such a way that my blender bottles and tupperware full of my Hacker School blend have become less convenient to keep with me, so I decided to try a solid food alternative that approaches the problem of convenience and price similarly.

I was thinking I remember an earlier thread on attempts to formulate a nutritionally complete diet on solid foods as cheaply as possible to really compare Soylent to its best competitors, but I haven’t been able to find that thread. Can anybody help me out with a link?

Okay, so I will follow this with some cost calculations, but I’ve been baking Tofu in such a way that it’s really easy to plop it in a ziplock and take it to work with some dried apples for the extra fiber and carbs. I’m wondering about the likelihood that this plus a multi-vitamin might be as good as soylent in terms of cost and convenience.

The tofu takes a bit more time to prepare, but I have come up with a way that whittles the task down to just cutting, pouring sauce on it and leaving it in the oven. More details to follow on that if anyone’s interested.

But the main question: Any thoughts on how likely this idea is to have a chance against soylent in terms of cost and nutrient value?

I know it lags behind in prep time, but not prohibitively, at least not for me and my cooking habits.

Thoughts?

Here’s the thread:

And my recommended recipe, Ax Salad Lite. Hmmm, I still need to post photos and write up cooking instructions. It’s yummy though! :slight_smile:

What a cool salad! I’d love to see more whole-food recipes on the DIY page!

My first thought is to consider eggs as an alternative to tofu. Eggs are high in a wide variety of nutrients, cheap, and easily portable when hardboiled. (Eat them yolks and all, unless you are predisposed to have very high cholesterol. Several egg yolks per day won’t cause a cholesterol problem for the majority of people.)

Tofu has phytoestrogens, and can be unsuitable as a staple food for many people. (E.g., if you are a male.)

You also might want to try this… prison loaf, aka nutraloaf. :smile:

http://www.wcax.com/story/10002909/the-recipe-for-nutraloaf

Does anybody have good links on the threat or non-threat of phytoestrogens? I know soy is in a lot of things and being consumed in pretty large quantities by most of the population of the world, and I know that the hacker school recipe dismisses the danger. Now I’m eating way more soy than ever before, haven’t grown any boobies yet, but we are at week 3 of Tofu every day, prior to that it was Trader Joe’s Soy protein powder, so I should probably give a look at the claims of a problem with phytoestrogens

AX salad consists entirely of ingredients I like, and I love the price, but isn’t 1500% Vitamin A and 1900% K a concern? Those are both fat soluble and therefore will build up in your system won’t they?

That’s got to be a typo on the Vitamin A in the “salad” recipe. I’m not so familiar with Vit K but I bet that’s a typo too.

I’ve read warnings about phytoestrogens over the years, sorry I can’t remember any one really compelling article or I’d link it. If no one else has any recommendations, you could start with a general search on phytoestrogens, read from a variety of sources, and draw your own conclusions.

I don’t think a few weeks’ worth will do irrevocable damage, if your tofu is working well for you I’d say continue with it until either you find a protein source or ingredient combo you like better, or until you determine it’s causing you problems (or after you research it, if you determine it’s likely to cause you problems).

But I wouldn’t recommend using tofu as a staple like that over a number of years, not for a guy.

That’s a great question. From what I’ve read, there is no upper limit on the safety of the plant-based form of those vitamins, but too much of the animal-based form and you will get sick. The excess there comes from the spinach and broccoli, so it’s the plant-based form.

Did some looking on Phytoestrogens

Wikipedia has an article on them with no mention of hard evidence of any harm to humans.

NIH lists some cons, but doesn’t cite a study that shows a strong case of harm coming from eating a lot of soy, and with soy infant formula having been popular for some time now, there have to be a lot of people out there who were raised on lots of soy.

So my plan is to not worry about it.

If you were thinking Nuts for protein just in case, don’t. They have phytoestrogens too.

Anybody got anything more incriminating for Phytoestrogens?

This may be tinfoil-hat stuff; there’s speculation that the rise of “metrosexual” culture (i.e., the feminization of men) in America has been prompted by soy consumption, and hormones that make it into the water supply because of the huge number of women who take birth control pills. (Sorry, no hard research on that. But it seems plausible to me.)

Hmmm, I didn’t know that. But I just searched it up, and tofu has >10x the phytoestrogen of nuts. PDF file

The risks of soy may be completely hyped up. You may experience no undesirable effects at all, but if you start growing teats or crying at puppy food commercials, at least you’ll have an idea of what to cut back in your diet.

Yeahhhhh thanks for the essentialism, misogyny, and homophobia

Tofu and soy in general are essentially poison but suit yourself!

Looks like Jeremy Piven, who I love as an actor, believes that Soy gave him boobies:

I have quite a bit less confidence in his approach to food safety issues than his acting, so I don’t plan on seriously weighing this story as evidence.

As to "Tofu and Soy are essentially poison . . . " If hundreds of millions of people eat them daily for years and aren’t dropping dead, “poison” can’t be an appropriate word. Ricin is poison. Alcohol is not poison since you have to chug like a quart of vodka to kill yourself with it.

a quart isn’t all that much. People do die from alcohol poisoning, so I think it is perfectly fair to call it a poison, even if it is a fairly weak one that we normally consume heavily diluted.

http://www.katrinaryder.com/2012/01/02/ten-steps-to-eating-poorganically-in-2012/

http://www.gnolls.org/3089/what-are-hydrolyzed-soy-protein-and-hydrolyzed-wheat-protein-and-why-are-they-in-everything/

sure sounds like poison to me!