Easy and complete, mostly food Soylent recipe

BEFORE YOU READ:
Link to the new formula:

(ORIGINAL)
Here’s the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtY-gZhJpB9MdF9EbUVpdHFBZ0Uzbkk1em53ckhucGc&usp=sharing

The breakdown goes pretty deep.

Let me know if you can think of any ways to improve.

Thanks.

EDIT:

It purposely doesn’t contains carbohydrates because they are not essential and they upset my stomach. It’s simple to add a carbohydrate source.

Also, some of the micro-micronutrients have no daily values because they’re not established and they read 0% because they’re not generally measured in foods.

Also I use the newer DRIs when calculating percentage met, rather than the older RDIs used in food labeling.

EDIT FOR CLARITY:

You’ll need to adjust the macronutrients in this recipe to meet recommendations and personal preference. You may also need to add more copper and vitamin c.

Well, yes, I can think of a way to improve it: add some carbs and ensure that you will be consuming something resembling a safe and normal human diet.

But you probably don’t like that idea – so here’s a thought – you could get rid of the fats, too (because the average Chicken Little out there is just as scared of fats as of carbs, if not more so), and then take the last step and axe the proteins as well (because there have been a lot of concerns about the association of various forms of protein with CVD and kidney problems). Then you’d have a really GOOD weight-loss diet that you could promote – the ZERO-Calorie Diet! Or take the easy way out and just become a Breatharian – stand around in the sunshine every day soaking up the pranic light.

Carbohydrates aren’t essential. Stop exaggerating it’s idiotic. You can add carbs if you like, as I said. It’s not difficult.

I prefer to get my calories from fats. The positives and negatives of this aren’t well studied.

Also I’m not trying to lose weight.

I certainly agree with you that it’s idiotic, but IMHO the exaggeration lies in a soylent recipe that is totally lacking in macronutrient balance. There is already far too much fear out there and not enough basic nutritional commonsense. Recipes of this kind only make the situation worse by contributing to the confusion.

Like I said in my previous two posts, you can add a source of carbohydrates if you’d like, it’s not difficult.

I don’t personally want to, that’s my choice.

Ketogenic diets are certainly not unheard of. However, I strongly recommend that you consider consuming more than the paltry number of calories that you are planning on (< 1000 is not good!). If you’re going to go ketogenic, do it right. Eat an adequate number of calories, add enough protein (probably at least .8g/kg) and supplement the rest with oil. If you don’t want to eat that much oil, add carbs back into the mix.

TL;DR: Consuming less than 1000 calories per day is dangerous, change your recipe.

You also seem a tad low in vitamin C and Copper. I would definitely suggest choosing a multivitamin that would better suit your needs. Check out this one: http://www.naturesway.com/Products/Vitamins/60194-Alive-Mens-Energy.aspx.

I did plan on adding more fats to get the appropriate amount of calories, but in this spreadsheet I didn’t do that, so that anyone who wanted to add a carbohydrate source to the recipe could without having to adjust the fat content.

I added oats before for carbs and it just made me sick and upset my stomach. This seems to happen no matter what the carb source is. My body can’t handle that much carbs, everyone’s different.

I’ll take your advice for upping the protein and fat content but as I stated they’re left the way they are to make it easier to adjust for other people who likely wont want a ketogenic diet.

I have a vitamin c tablet that I can add, afa copper goes I’m working on a simple solution to that.

Thanks for the input.

That’s certainly a relief. You should maybe edit your first post to let people know that the recipe needs more protein, fat, and carbs to preference.

.Edited for clarity.

I agree with Card, when you post a recipe like this you need to make it a bit more clear what you’re doing, to avoid confusion and to keep others who know less than you from messing up seriously. Your topic line represents this recipe as “complete” and “mostly food” – it is neither. It is grossly unbalanced in macronutrients and seriously deficient in calories. I don’t see a calories column in the spreadsheet; but 4T of oils = 480 cal, 1 scoop of whey isolate = 103 cal, 2T soy lecithin granules = 105 cal, 3 tsp psyllium husk powder = 45 – I get 733 calories there.

If all you tried for carbs was oat powder, Kyle, I can understand that you may well have had stomach problems with it. I’ve been trying for weeks to tell people here that ingesting raw cereal starches doesn’t make for good digestion and a quiet tummy. Sometimes the attitude that “it’s all chemicals anyway” gets the upper hand and people ignore the finer points of digestibility, bioavailability and such!

Just tossing the carbs out entirely is a simplistic overreaction rather than a rational solution to your problem. I would suggest you do a bit of exploring of other carb sources. (My own soylent gets its carbs from multiple sources – milk, sugar, oats, buckwheat, spelt, peanut butter powder and bananas; but the cereal ingredients are both acid presoaked and well cooked for maximum digestibility.) You might try cooked buckwheat flour, for example; it is a lot more digestible than wheat or oats. If you are really starch sensitive, you should try dehydrated apple granules and/or bananas; both of these contain carbs that are not likely to cause you gastric upset.

As it is, you’re overreacting in a way that is likely to do you more harm than good; a complete micronutrient profile isn’t necessarily the whole story and a closed case.

This is annoying.

Please keep your responses short and respectful.

I will edit the recipe and repost later.

I cut out carbs for reasons other than the ones mentioned.

Also, it’s even more rude to use my name being that I never told you it. Don’t dox me, that’s bordering on insanity.

No one is “doxing” you. Your public discourse forum profile clearly states your name which you put there yourself. Your own rudeness and disrespect is such that I’ll gladly trouble you no further. But if you don’t want help and critiques, you’re in the wrong place; there’s constant give and take here and generally we’re all the better for that.

I think you both got off on the wrong foot, perhaps forgetting most of this conversation is in order ;).

If I knew how to delete the thread I would.

That’s Googles fault for sharing information I never intended to share. Welcome to the internet I guess.

You come off much more strongly as a troll than a critic.

You’re just offering problems with no solutions.

I appreciate any advice. I don’t appreciate rambling, insulting paragraphs clogging up my post.

Just so you’re aware, your full name is visible if anyone clicks on your name “kthprog” to the left of your post. You must have filled it out when you signed up for the forums.

I used Google sign up, it got my name from my gmail account. Still pisses me off. I’m going to change it now.

I hate to say, but your recipe isn’t even remotely complete, and one of the two I’ve seen this month that could be quite harmful. The other was the poor guy who almost added benzene to his receipe trying to preserve his liquid soylent longer. Here’s some of the broad strokes:

Everything is measured in “scoops” “teaspoons” and “pills”. While that’s fine for baking a cake, if you’re dealing with raw minerals like magnesium or iron, you cannot afford that level of inconsistency. For example, if I were to put in a “1/2 scoop” of magnesium gluconate in my recipe I’d have diarrhea for a week. Measuring in metric (especially since most RDA’s are expressed that way) is going to bring the best accuracy.

There are no brands listed for some items, and no product names when some brands are listed. Is your whey protein concentrate, isolate, or hydrolized—what brand is it? There are several dozen Centrum multi-vitamin products sold around the world—which one is it? Advice: If you want your recipe used by other people, be specific.

Your recipe contains a dangerously low amount of calories for anybody. To put it in perspective, it would be a recklessly low amount of food if you were a 40 kg female dwarf. I know you say in a footnote somewhere that you adjust the macronutrients to your specific goals, but you can’t trust a random reader on a different site to see it. If it’s a public recipe, make sure it would be safe to consume as-is.

Many of your values for foods are off. Soy lecithin is not 15% choline by mass, for example. I’m also not quite sure where you’re deriving your RDA’s from—citing a source would help with constructive criticism of your recipe. I think these points might be related to your mixing of different measurement systems confusing things. Basically: you didn’t buy your lecithin in hogsheads, so don’t measure it that way. :wink:

That’s about all I gleaned from giving it a quick once-over. Hope this helps!

I hate to say it, but you should’ve done more than a quick once-over before you posted.

I already explained the lack of carbs and therefore of total calories, and explained that I would repost an amended version.

I understand the difficulty in using certain measurements that arent standard, however, tbsp and tsp are very practical when they are the serving size for an ingredient and the ingredient is in no way pure.

If I include brand names and exact products then it would be entirely reasonable to use 1 pill over say 2 grams which would just confuse most people.

If you want me to take you seriously: Dont use bold fonts.

I’m sorry but the measurement used for the serving size is 1 scoop. The scooper comes with it I believe it’s 1 tsp. so 1/2 tsp of magnesium powder.

I’ll include much more specific information in the reposted version.

It’s not soy lecithin it’s soy lecithin granules, which contain a large amount of choline: again, more than a ‘once over’ is in order when reviewing someones recipe.

It does help to a degree, but you’ll notice previous posters already raised these issues and I already responded to them, so it’s also very redundant.

I look forward to posting the improved recipe.

These RDAs are from nutritiondata.self.com a fact I also previously mentioned. This site, in turn, derives its data from a government database which is likely the most accurate source available.

Also, the RDAs for each nutrient are measured in their standard measurements, the serving sizes are likewise measured in their standard measurements of tbsp, tsp, etc.