Eating seven or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day reduces your risk of death by 42 percent

Looks like we’re going to start dropping like flies. :smile:

Linky

I’m pretty sure the risk of death with any diet is 100%. Unless a good number of people eating lots of fruit and veggies are actually going to become immortal…

Can’t be that good a number, after all… There can be only one.

I am immortal, I have inside me blood of kings!
I have no rival, no man can be my equal!
Take me to the future of your world!!

Soylent and fruit go together very nicely.

I question whether this actually means, “Fruit makes you live longer!” or “Getting enough vitamins (which often happen to be found in high concentrations in fruit) makes you live longer!”

I guess we won’t know until people start doing large studies about Soylent.

I’m pretty sure this just translates to “eating more fruits and vegetables leads to a healthier diet, and a healthier diet leads to a longer life”. While there is a causation, it is indirect, and other things could lead to the same results. If soylent leads to a similarly healthy intake, I’d expect similar results.

So… if i eat more fruits and vegtables there is a 42 percent chance… Ill Live FOREVER! There can be only one!

I love blueberries in my soylent.

Correlation != Causation

People who eat seven or more portions of fruits and vegetables are (assumingly) not eating as much “other” food, most of which (at least here in the US) is crap and is bad for you in one way or another. I’m willing to bet that those who eat seven or more portions of fruit and vegetables a day are also, on average, exercise significantly more, smoke significantly less, and possibly consume less alcohol than those who do not eat seven or more portions of fruits and vegetables per day.

I’d wager that there’s probably also a link to economic status. I’m making a statistical guess here, but people who make less money probably (on average) eat worse, smoke more, drink more, exercise less, and visit the doctor less* than people who make more money.

*Even people that have health insurance sometimes won’t go to the doctor because they can’t afford the co-pay for the visit or for prescriptions. My urgent care co-pay is $25, which is very little for me. My roommate’s is $70 or $75 and that’s a lot for her. This study was done in the UK. I know their healthcare system is different, but I don’t know if it’s free for everyone or what the specifics are.

Should most people (who are not using Soylent) eat more fruit and vegetables? Probably. Will it actually reduce their risk of death by 42%? Probably not. There are several other factors that these types of studies never seem to take into account. I’d love to see what they’d come up with if they took the exact same data set and broke it down by income level instead of fruit intake. I would also like to see a comparison against a similarly representative group of Americans to see if the same things appear to hold true.

This also probably means, “People who eat lots of fruit also eat less bad things (like red meat and fast food)” and “People who eat less bad things live longer.”

[quote=“tsarna, post:2, topic:11951, full:true”]
I’m pretty sure the risk of death with any diet is 100%.[/quote]
Actually, the current death rate of humans is about 93%. That is, of the approximately 100bn humans who have ever lived, 7bn are alive.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die " – Samuel Johnson

Wait… if eating lots of fruit and vegetables will improve that figure by 42%… are you saying it brings back the dead?

THIS IS HOW THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE STARTS, PEOPLE! HOW WILL YOU VEGANS FEEL WHEN YOUR ABSTINENCE FROM ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS RESULTS IN HUMAN BRAINS BEING EATEN AT AN ALARMING RATE, HUH?

Or large studies on diets of nutritionless fruits, where we’d get such a thing I’m not sure. Maybe we could ask the immortal vegie people? Seems like something they might have picked up along their way.

Pretty sure all medical care in the UK is 100% free for everyone, or all residents of the UK at any rate I guess. Canadia is similar I think and here in Australia you can bulk bill (go for free) to the doctor a certain number of times a year, there might be a small charge like that $25 in some circumstances though I think.

here in the UK going to the DR’s is always free as is all medical care unless you chose to go privet. you have to pay for prescription medication though. but then again some people are exempt from paying depending on there circumstances