Effects of re-introducing solid foods after soylent-only period

Has anyone been on a soylent-only diet for an extended period of time (say 2+ weeks) after which they switched to mostly solid foods on a regular basis (2+ meals a day, several days)?

What has the experience been like? Any side-effects?

Your digestive system is designed to process solid foods, I’m wondering whether feeding on liquids only will lead to a down-regulation of certain components (e.g., enzymes)

Today is actually my first day with solid food after 4 weeks.
I will keep most meals soylent, and I couldn’t give you anything longterm yet anyways, but here are my experiences from today:

• I hate that I had to spend so much time to make and eat chickenburgers, and the whole house smelled of them afterwards
  • I felt way too full after eating them
  • 2 hours after eating, I went for a run - tempo training. It was horrible. :S

That’s what I can tell you so far :smiley:

Thanks @CuriousBen.
Very early to tell, but this is anecdotally pointing towards the need for a re-adaptation phase (both physiological and mental… :slight_smile: )

After half a year of Soylent only a re-climatization phase would probably be necessary too, but right now I think this is just a case of me having gotten a taste of “the good stuff”.

You’re right though, too early to tell.

Here’s a link to my experience. http://discourse.soylent.me/t/switching-from-soylent-to-whole-food/2120
It took about 3 days for everything to settle down in my gut. The biggest factor was that I got fatigued more quickly as soon as I went back to solid foods.

Thanks @dancdow.
Could you elaborate a bit more on how you felt and how your digestion was after a few days of reverting back to foods?

I just had my first solid food experience after a little over a month last night. I have been consuming nothing but a slightly modified version of the Bachelor Chow diy recipe. I ate a calzone, some jalapeno poppers, and a few beers. Tastes were definitely more intense. I also ate way too much too quickly, my stomach had shrunk significantly. This morning I have some gas and some nausea, much the same feeling I would have had pre-soylent if I had eaten too much greasy food and drank. Overall it was not entirely enjoyable and I have decided to be much more selective in what I chose to eat in the future. I will probably keep to almost entirely soylent with the exception of major holidays. I do plan on adding beer back into my life a little more often now though.

On a side note how do we feel about resurrecting old threads here?

All fasting protocols have a reintroduction phase, for a reason. Soylent may have more nutrients than many of the things that people fast with - water/masters cleanse/juice - but I think people would save themselves a lot of discomfort if they followed some kind of reintroduction protocol with soylent.

First of all, if you are switching from a mostly soylent diet, 90% or more then a huge meal of solid food is definitely going to make you feel sluggish, overly full, and gross. And as @jeffrey suggested above, stomachs will absolutely have shrunk. Think about how few people eat solid food according to the actual serving guidelines.

In addition, if your body has gotten used to streamlining and working efficiently on a relatively “clean” diet (which theoretically, soylent is) can you imagine dumping a bunch of crap ingredients into your system? Unless you sourced each of the ingredients and made it yourself, there were probably a lot of preservatives and other chemicals (the not good for you kind) in your meal.

Shouldn’t you eat a couple of apples per week with Soylent, just to help maintain the bowel peristalsis?
If you do that, there won’t be any need for acclimatization.

Actually, the bowels themselves don’t really see any difference, in terms of what they’re moving. By the time food gets there, it’s already liquid, Soylent or not. But as far as breaking down less “readily available” nutrients, there’s probably a valid point in keeping some “regular” food in your diet.

On the other hand, this could also be at least partially psychological. A lot of people are comparing post-soylent “real food” to pre-soylent “junk food”. When you adopt a new routine, your mind adjusts to see that as the normal – so to some degree, it could just be that compared to soylent, the body is noticing the (comparatively) lower quality of other foods. Not saying it’s entirely in your head, because I’m sure it’s not – just that it’s almost certainly a factor.

Or to draw an analogy, if you lose 30lbs over time, you don’t feel that much lighter, but if you put back on a 30lb weight vest you’d sure notice it :stuck_out_tongue: (and, if you kept the vest on for a week, you’d probably stop noticing it)

I don’t do a 100% meal replacement, so if you don’t find this relevant, please ignore. But with 1 solid…ish (yogurt, cheese, and soups are common)… meal per day that may be enough to prevent any of this change that people are talking about.

With the exception of my high Magnesium (laxative) experiments, I haven’t noticed any difference in anything, other than a clock-like regularity in bowel movements.

Soylent is real food minus chewing. There’s not a fundamental difference between what’s making it to your stomach in either case, assuming you chew your regular food. Solid/liquid is not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. You should be able to switch between the two with no transition whatsoever, saving any pyschological quirks.

While I agree that the literal solid vs. liquid shouldn’t make any difference, people make a valid point as to the actual content of the food – going back from Soylent to a comparatively less “complete” diet could legitimately cause some weird effects. It’s also possible that, aside from the actual consistency, some regular foods are less immediately available to the body than Soylent, as far as breaking down into nutrients/etc.

But yes I think it’s fair to say that going from Soylent->solid foods is not on the same scale as going from juice/fasting/etc->solid foods, so even if there is a transitional period, it should not be as drastic as the ones encountered with juicing or fasting.

I just realized something…

You know you’re a nerd when you use terms like “re-introduction protocols” when discussing food…

i do wonder if soylent will in the future turn in to a “dices” when people stop eating normal food and start being “purists” with only clean food and start doing like the vegi cult (P.E.T.A) start bashing down on foodies and how diskusting they are for putting a lot of crap in there bodies and waisting resources.
:grin: