Effects of Soylent on Diabetics

Hello. So I have been thinking about ordering Soylent as I frequently don’t eat even though I should. I have type 2 diabetes and belive that part of this was caused by work out supplements I was drinking. I have been in the military for over 20 years and developed this condition back in 2009 while on active duty. I have no family history of diabetes, I work out due to the military, and I keep a decent diet do to trying to raise kids to eat properly. My question is how will switching to a mostly Soylent (2 out of 3 meals a day) effect a diabetic individual? I have been reading through the posts but just could not find a direct answer. Thank you.

Is soylent effective for type 2 diabetes?
Soylent And Diabetes?

Well it should make it more manageable since you’ll have incredibly accurate detail about the exact content in terms of sacharides and sugars of what your eating. Does the career in the military come with insurance? because you could just print out the ingredients and have a nutritionist and a doctor specializing in endocrinology take a peak. We’d love to hear what they say.

Active duty type 2 diabetes? How do you manage being in the field?

I have type 2 and have ordered the first month of Soylent. I will be testing and watching closely.

My mom has type 2 diabetes and her doctors put her on a lower carb diet - soylent as it currently stands is a little carb intensive so definitely monitor your sugar levels very closely. Lower carb diets are typically best for diabetics…Article

However, that being said, at least with soylent the carb sources shouldn’t be chock full of unhealthy ones that cause sugar spikes, or at least I’m assuming at this point so if you already have a high carb diet then this shouldn’t be any worse! :smiley:

This of course means that your body does not respond properly to insulin, and may additionally under-produce insulin.

This causes you to be unable to respond adequately to high levels of glucose in the body, which becomes toxic if it’s not removed.

So looking at this, how it affects you depends on your degree of insulin resistance. You would have to try it and monitor your blood glucose carefully.

It may have no effect as long as your body responds well enough to insulin to remove any excess glucose.

300g of carbs sounds to me like it might be excessive for a diabetic unless taken slowly over the course of the day.

If you are in the military when you develop it, they’ll let you stay and make sure you’re medicated properly.

I am not in a line unit. Was just boarded and found fit for duty and returned to the guard, as I am able to control my diabetes with diet and excercise.

I look forward to hearing how it works for you.

I have to disagree with Lisa. All the ADA says about low carb diets is that they are acceptable for weight loss.

The general expert recommendation for Diabetics is that between 60-70% of energy intake should be Carbs and monounsaturated fats together. Less than 10% of energy intake should come from saturated fats. 15-20% of energy intake should come from protein.

More reading regarding Type II diets here: http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/23/3/130.full?sid=ac2acd22-60db-4627-826e-161287fc7f63

Generally speaking meal replacements are normally considered ok for a Diabetic, regular inclusion in your diet may even be beneficial, as it reduces your glucose and caloric variability.

Wondering if any medics tried to figure why you developed Diabetes II, with no genetic propensity for it.
What sort of dietary intake did you have before/leading into developing the diabetes?
Was it high carbs, low in good fats or have too much bad fats?
Did you have any period of starvation conditions?
Not enough fresh veggies?
Deficient in minerals like magnesium [must be measured by red blood cell assay]?
It’s beyond astonishing so many are willing to buy Soylent blindly: the company seems to obstruct people learning the nurtitional content/profile of the product[s]. THAT can endanger people foolish enough to buy the proverbial “pig-in-a-poke”, as so many have.
==IS the Soylent company a ‘front’ for Monsanto’s new foot-in-door to allow putting things in foods without labeling?
==Does Soylent believe they can provide serious competition for products like Ensure, or far better, safer, known content packaged meal replacements?
==IF Soylent continues to only sell product by revealing the thinnest bits of vague data covered by over-blown hype, WHY should ANYONE buy it, much less consume it?
That sets too many levels of dangerous precedent, in a world already flooded with this sort of bad marketing!
==ANYONE with health issues should be asking these questions!
You do recognize, NONE from the company appear to be answering ANY salient questions!?
==To date, Soylent is all hype and no true substance–one has to ask:
"How much of a lab-rat do you feel comfortable being?!?
It’s no joke anymore, guys.
This could be very serious.

These are all valid questions.
We’re all raising them quietly in the back of our minds, however, I think most of us have weighed the benefits and dangers against each other and decided we would like to make Soylent, official or DIY, part of our regular diet, if not our complete diet.

A full discussion on it would be interesting, I wonder if @rob would be interested in answering “by popular demand” questions in a full interview.

I don’t speak for Soylent, but I think I have some answers for you

==Does Soylent believe they can provide serious competition for products like Ensure, or far better, safer, known content packaged meal replacements?

From amazon, it seems like you can get 1 Ensure Complete drink for $1.80. Even that version of the drink is clearly not intended to be used as the sole source of nutrition, but according to their label (which has very limited information on actual nutrient content), it appears you’d need about 6 per day for full nutrition. That’s $11.00/day. The target cost of Soylent is, I believe, $65/week, so that would be ~$9/day. So yes, I believe they will be competitive with Ensure.

“better” and “safer” don’t appear to have much meaning in this context unless you address a specific weakness or danger. To stay on topic for this forum, there is no evidence that soylent is dangerous for diabetics, and I haven’t seen any evidence that Ensure isn’t.

IF Soylent continues to only sell product by revealing the thinnest bits of vague data covered by over-blown hype…

Soylent has not even begun to sell anything. They’re being open about the fact that the recipe is in flux so there’s no point in releasing that information yet, especially when they haven’t even shipped the pre-orders. They have said that the recipe will be freely available for anyone to see when they’ve finalized a version 1.0.

…WHY should ANYONE buy it, much less consume it?

For a diabetic? Yeah, that’s something you have to tred carefully with. I am not diabetic, so if I like the nutrient profile they have, I will buy it. Mostly because of curiosity.

"How much of a lab-rat do you feel comfortable being?!?
It’s no joke anymore, guys.
This could be very serious.

This has never been a joke. The forum you’re posting in is about a serious concern over the effect of soylent on someone with diabetes.

While not a medical product, Soylent is designed with the diabetic in mind.

We are working with Dr. Pi-Sunyer, Chief of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition at St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center and Professor of Medicine at Columbia University to not only create something as healthy as possible for the typical consumer, but something that would be nutritious and sustainable for the diabetic as well.

We are careful to use carbohydrate sources that have a low GI. For example, the specific type of maltodextrin we use has a high ratio of (1->6) to (1->4) glycosidic bonds, meaning it is metabolized much more slowly than a typical corn maltodextrin. Something like ensure gets a large percentage of its calories from high fructose corn syrup, which I would feel uncomfortable consuming myself, much less recommending to a diabetic.

More about Dr. Pi-Sunyer here: http://www.nyorc.org/director.aspx. You will notice much influence in diabetes research specifically.

Can I use Soylent as a diabetic?
Is soylent effective for type 2 diabetes?
Long Chain Carbohydrates
Dextrose Equivalent, Glycemic Index, Maltodextrin, Sugar, and Soylent
Caloric and simple sugar restrictions... how will Soylent work?

At this point I’m proud of being associated with this product.

Are you sleeping okay? No apnea? Check out this link for new information on hypoxia caused type 2 diabetes.

Hi…did you post anything about how you did with your diabetes? Thanks!

DEnd: I’m aware that the ADA still makes that recommendation but it is ludicrously obsolete and they’ve been slow to update. Every diabetic knows that carb heavy meals are what causes them problems and all new proper research backs up the fact that diabetes is very directly related to your body losing it’s ability to process carbohydrates, not fats. No randomized clinical trial has been able to supply evidence that saturated fats really are so bad.

The basic idea behind the low fat diet was adopted long ago based on intuitive notions that eating fat makes you fat, and eating cholesterol raises cholesterol. Major medical associations have clinged to these assumptions even as studies contradict them.

That said, I’m not too concerned about the carbohydrates in soylent since it is designed to have a low glycemic index and that is what it is all about.

No. I actually cancelled my order. The current version has way too many carbs, slow or otherwise. I am currently on a low carb DIY and have had great results. I would definitely volunteer for any type of study/beta testing for a reduced carb Soylent if/when they are ready to make it.

I have not ordered yet. Though I do plan on it here soon.