Ensure and Jevity are NOT comparable to Soylent

I don’t know if it’s because people are trying to be politically correct, or if they just have no idea what they’re talking about.

But statements like " I wish every article I read didn’t compare Soylent to Plumpy’nut or Ensure, they’re completely different products with entirely different nutritional benefits." are starting to get to me. WHAT NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS?

The ingredients in ensure and pretty much every other meal replacement out there SUCK. Don’t like people ragging on corn syrup? Deal with it, it sucks. I could go on and on.

Any “benefits” that exist in any other currently existing meal replacement, exist in soylent. Without the tons of random shit they put into it for preservation etc.

I see a lot of potential in soylent, it’s just agitating when people compare it to INFERIOR products. Individual ingredients matter people, and the less crap we put in alongside the things we actually need (Macro/Micronutrients) the better.

Also to put things into perspective. I have crohns disease and eating solid foods @ this point is a no go due to various factors. I lived off ensure plus during intense flare ups in attempts to ease my pain (which worked somewhat)

However for the past month and a half I’ve been solely eating DIY Soylent. I do not remember ever feeling so good. The difference is night and day. The focus, the energy, the LACK OF FRACKING PAIN.

Note I am taking medication, so obviously the soylent isn’t the sole reason I’m feeling better, but I was on medication before as well.

if ensure made me feel like a 5
soylent makes me feel like 10

I don’t really see what you mean. If you look at the ingredients for Ensure, it’s not that much different than the composition in a basic soylent. If anything, something like Ensure is beneficial to the development of soylent in that the public is already aware of such a product.

Here’s the full ingredient list for Ensure (Milk Chocolate): Water,
Sugar, Corn Maltodextrin, Milk Protein Concentrate, Soy Oil, Soy
Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Pea Protein
Concentrate, Canola Oil. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Corn Oil,
Magnesium Phosphate, Cellulose Gel, Natural & Artificial Flavor,
Potassium Chloride, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium
Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Salt,
Cellulose Gum, Monoglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Carrageenan, Potassium
Hydroxide, Ferric Orthophosphate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc
Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric
Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride,
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride,
Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide,
Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.

The top ingredients: sugar, maltodextrin, oil, and soy protein are all in most soylent recipes. It’s the other stuff that suck, but it’s not far fetched to say that Ensure is to soylent.

@goukix0x You could have tagged me if you were going to directly quote me.

I think you’ve misunderstood the tone of what I wrote.
It wasn’t to say that Ensure and Soylent are comparable products, it was to say that they expressly are not and that I was tired of articles about Soylent inferring they were in the same league.

I’m assuming that the average person on the forum doesn’t need to be convinced of soylents value.[quote=“dzhao, post:3, topic:6206”]
The top ingredients: sugar, maltodextrin, oil, and soy protein are all in most soylent recipes. It’s the other stuff that suck, but it’s not far fetched to say that Ensure is to soylent.
[/quote]

It seems we’re in agreement. My entire point was that it’s the things which suck (which interfere with the beneficial effects of those that don’t suck) however in my case my version of soylent is devoid of sugar, maltodextrin and soy protein. Not to say they’re crappy ingredients (maybe sugar) Just in my situation I need to be much pickier with my ingredients.

No worries, i was just a tad hasty due to my newly brewed hatred of ensure :wink:

We’re not starting a cult here, mentioning all options on the market only promotes nutritional awareness. If Soylent is the best, the facts will speak for themselves, as with any leading product. I think it’s perfectly legitimate and beneficial for current and prospective customers to compare products. I’ll probably use Soylent exclusively, but as with any product, track record and trials proving safety add to my confidence.

My issue (and goukix0x’s I’m assuming) is that these aren’t the competition. Plumpy’nut and Ensure are closer to normal food than to Soylent in the sense that while they give you some of what you need they give you as much stuff that you don’t. It’s like comparing cars and semi trucks, they might both have wheels but they’re very different in every other way and if you’re trying to buy a truck, it does you no good to be making car comparisons.

I’m sure the facts will speak for themselves, but muddling up Soylent newcomers by implying that the Soylent in production is already a product you can buy elsewhere only draws focus away from Soylent. Either they think it’s nothing new or they try Ensure or some other supplement drink, which they can’t live off, and then are less likely to try Soylent when it’s released.