Ensure Plus - list of ingredients

Continuing the discussion from Soylid! Solid Soylent?:

Here you are, @ruipacheco!

abbottnutrition.com

Ingredients
(Ensure Plus Vanilla Ready to Drink)

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Oil, Pea Protein Concentrate. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Natural & Artificial Flavor, Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Carrageenan, Ferrous Sulfate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Vitamin D3, and Cyanocobalamin.
Contains milk and soy ingredients.

(Ensure Plus Strawberry Ready to Drink)

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Oil, Pea Protein Concentrate. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Carrageenan, Ferrous Sulfate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, FD&C Red #3, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Vitamin D3, and Cyanocobalamin.

(Ensure Plus Butter Pecan Ready to Drink)

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Corn Oil, Pea Protein Concentrate. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Carrageenan, Ferrous Sulfate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Vitamin D3, and Cyanocobalamin.

(Ensure Plus Dark Chocolate Ready to Drink)

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Pea Protein Concentrate. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Potassium Citrate, Magnesium Phosphate, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Citrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Salt, Potassium Hydroxide, Carrageenan, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Chromium Chloride, FD&C Red #3, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Molybdate, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.

(Ensure Plus Milk Chocolate Ready to Drink)

Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), Pea Protein Concentrate. Less than 0.5% of the Following: Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Natural & Artificial Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Sodium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Salt, Potassium Hydroxide, Carrageenan, Ferric Orthophosphate, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Zinc Sulfate, Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cupric Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Chromium Chloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone, Cyanocobalamin, and Vitamin D3.

And BTW it is apparently quite true that the “indefinite detainees” at USA’s Guantanamo Bay facility are force-fed with Ensure Plus when on hunger strike. The following link gives a bit of detail and the slideshow has photos of one of the force-feeding chairs and shelves full of bottles of Ensure Plus:

huffingtonpost.com

Looks like it would run around $10/day to live off Ensure plus.

Very pricey stuff, yes. Only the best for Gitmo!

Reading the ingredients, it sounds like Soylent to me.

@bigepidemic Actually more than that in Canada – I’m seeing prices of $14.34 for the six-pack online, which is what you’d need, there are only 355 calories per can.

@andrewf Not too surprising, I guess. Rob is no fool and it would have been foolish to attempt something like soylent without researching what had already been done along similar lines. There are only a relatively small set of possible formulae to satisfy the specific requirements for a complete food replacement drink, with a certain degree of economy using generally available ingredients; those possible solutions will inevitably resemble one another.

Good to know that they too use Maltodextrin only for carbs.

Yes, Ben, I suppose so, but I still don’t like it. Formula solutions for outfits like Abbott and Nestlé are economically driven; they care about the consumer only to the extent of avoiding successful lawsuits. It’s not that different to the dogfood manufacturing game – if they can get away with using “floor-sweepings” they will.
Cheap ingredients are a major consideration for those big companies.

EDIT: Note the canola oil, corn oil, and sugar! Those are hardly the best ingredients, but they are cheap, easy and available.

You see some weird stuff in some of these meal-replacement drinks. I found an upmarket example from Doctor Somebody-or-other, should check my history and try to recover a link. All sorts of fancy ingredients, the formula looked quite impressive – until you saw that FRUCTOSE was a major carb ingredient! And he was actually touting that as a feature, saying it was processed in the liver. Brrrr. It’s a minefield out there.

On the contrary, a substantial portion is sugar. They have more sugar than milk protein, so it’s probably a considerable amount.

It does sound a lot like Soylent, apart from the serious amount of sugar. Also, I see no fat?

I checked my supermarket. This product sells for $12 in Toronto area. There is a store brand equivalent that sells for $9, on sale this week for $7. A 6 pack provides 2000 calories.

Moral of the story: websites are horribly uncompetitive when it comes to grocery-type items.

Canola oil and corn oil :slight_smile:

Yeh, sugar fest by the looks of it.

I found this page with a search on carrageenan and soylent. It turns out that some people think carrageenan is harmful, but it is used in drinks like soylent to try to make low-fat have more of a high-fat texture. The argument is that if you process carrageenan with an acid, then it is known to have massive inflammatory properties (which causes a lot of other problems in turn) and for some people and some recipes, carrageenan processed with a base could potentially change into the processed with acid form.

Based on the fact that the only references to carrageenan on soylent boards seems to be a comparison listing of Ensure, I am going to assume that soylent has nothing of the sort in its ingredient list, unless someone has a stronger bit of information one way or the other.