Examine.com Critique (Soylent is made from hype)

Are the creators of Soylent aware of this nutritional critique from examine.com? The gist of it is that they believe simply fulfilling RDA values is too simplistic a view of nutrition. They point out several concrete things that Soylent lacks sufficient quantities of such as cholesterol, fiber, and psuedovitamins like choline and nitrates.

At least some of this seems to be out of date. For example, they claim that Soylent uses olive oil as it’s only source of fat, but that’s no longer true (It now contains fish oil and canola oil). Looking at the ingredients, soylent also now has a source of choline.

I generally trust examine.com, so I’m curious to see how Soylent has responded to this. I’m hoping this has already been discussed, but I couldn’t find an existing thread in search.

Well, given that the article is from over a year ago, it’s a bit outdated. It also is quoting from Rob’s first request for beta testers. They have certainly updated the formula significantly since then, adding in much more fiber, protein, and other important things.

Edit: Also, according to Rob, they have a more complex maltodextrin that is supposed to not play havoc with one’s glycemic index. So there’s also that. I think the finalized version 1.0 of Soylent has taken care of most of the nutritional concerns known about, I’m pretty sure the formula is floating around here somewhere.

They should be invited to make a new review based on the official Soylent.

As regards to the basis of their criticism of the original soylent, I think that the most interesting question is whether the body is made to be given all these nutrients on a daily basis. Considering that we evolved in a context where eating was unpredictable, varied and far in between, it should have evolved to store as much nutrients and minerals as possible. Once I read that some fat soluble vitamins deficiencies can take months to develop.

The data science will obtain from users who are consuming exclusively soylent can really be helpful. I would be interested in some twin studies, 3 months long - one on Soylent and one on a standard, varied Mediterrean diet and see the difference in phyiscal and cognitive performance, resistance to common cold/flu and blood work between the 2. Another interesting study would be to assess the effect of Soylent 1 on various body types/life styles - endo/ecto/mesomorph - sedentary or active lifestyle - stessful or relaxed jobs etc. There is an infnity of stuff that can be done!

Here’s the blog post that includes a discussion of the maltodextrin used in Soylent: http://blog.soylent.me/post/68180382810/soylent-1-0-macronutrient-overview

Also, Soylent DOES have choline in it.