Experiences with cognitive stimulants

Hello everybody.

When discussing soylent and the benefits for the human body and brain, people sometimes mention that they use cognitive stimulants like noopept, piracetam and other nootropics.

I am becoming interested in these substances and I have read some articles on their abilities, but I was wondering if anyone here has experience with nootropics.

So, what are your experiences with nootropics?

There are a lot of different options out there for nootropics. Personally I have only tried the noopept, and as of today I have removed it from my diet due to possible side effects. I won’t know for sure for a few more days if it was the cause of the side effects or not.

I was in an interesting conversation last night about nootropics though. I have had several friends that have tried them over the years, and too of them pretty much had the exact same question:
How many geniuses do you, or have you known, that use nootropics?

At the time the only answer I could come up with is “me”.
But for now I am giving up the nootropics. I may go back to them later on, but I will definitely avoid the racetam in the future.

[quote=“HarveyDesu, post:2, topic:4745, full:true”]I have had several friends that have tried them over the years, and too of them pretty much had the exact same question:
How many geniuses do you, or have you known, that use nootropics?
[/quote]
This is the kind of question that annoys me - aside from anything else, most geniuses use caffeine and/or nicotine. Anyway, “if you are a natural genius, then you do not use nootropics” says nothing about “if you are not a natural genius…”, which most people aren’t.

Please let me know what the side effects were when you find they were from noopept. this could be important.

Tough I do not expect to become a genius from nootropics, I had hoped it might help me concentrate a little longer when working on university assignments.

Good point.
As I stated earlier I am removing the nootropics from my formula. I probably would have been smarter to leave them out entirely in the beginning. That way I could stabilize my formula better (less variables). After which would have been the time to add them.

@Rick
As I said I won’t know for a couple more days. But noopept is part of the racetam family. The racetam family can have side effects that increase irritability and aggression. Originally I thought that my Soylent was increasing the output of testosterone, as I found myself to be quite a bit more aggressive and competitive. It wasn’t until recently that I was reading about racetam and saw that side effect. So I am curious if there is a correlation or not.
I will be sure to report back in a couple of days if my aggression has decreased at all.

I had a whole nootropic stack, but I ended up phasing out everything but piracetam , choline and inositol which I throw into every batch. The rest of it seemed kinda ‘iffy’ , bacopa for instance , it apparently takes up heavy metals in the root system, I have some fungus…hericium, basically nothing long term on it (so hypothetically it could just be tearing my kidney a new renal pelvis) , lets see dmae? which is sometimes used as an industrial solvent (although mines in powder form) , and B-vitamins which were already coverd in my recipe.

To be honest it could all just be placebo, I’m just using up what I have left at this point.

I am using Noopept, and have slightly more energy, but would say that I am less irritable and more calm that usual.

It’s anecdotal, but definitely try them for yourself before giving up on nootropics because of Roid Rage.

I mentioned my experience over in another thread, but basically I’m more productive, need less sleep, and feel calmer overall.

My experience with racetams has been quite pleasant. It allows me to stay focused when I need to and honestly seems to lubricate social situations more than I had anticipated. It also seemed to improve my sleep patterns and helped me actually remember my dreams (before taking them I never remembered dreams).

It took a good bit of dialing in to get to that point, however. If you overdo it on the choline and under dose the racetams or vice versa, you will get headahces, and it’ll make you pretty irritable. However since achieving the correct balance, I’ve had no such troubles.

One caveat, it does tend to make me what I’ll call hyper focused. For me, hyper focusing is not good, because it tends to blind me to the overarching ideas, like how someone with ocd is overly concerned with details being perfect and unable to get anything done as a result. I would get so entrenched in doing a problem (I’m a physics major) that I would slip on very basic details more often than usual. However I found it easier to control as soon as I became aware of it happening.

All in all it’s increased my focus, concentration, and mood in a very productive manner. I’m very happy with the results.

To be explicit, I use alpha gpc, sulbutiamine, piracetam, aniracetam, and molecularly distilled fish oil. I was using these long prior to being introduced to soylent, and I can vouch for their validity.

@HarveyDesu I’ve never heard of racetams leading to any sort of test boost, have you found others with the same problem?

At this point I don’t believe that it was a test boost that was causing my issue. I’m still not sure if it was the noopept or not. Although I have been in a pretty good mood all weekend, despite some major set backs. I will have better tests in the next couple of days when I return to work. If I am still calm then, they I will blame the noopept.

When I started the noopept I started at 10 mg a day. For a few days I thought I had better concentration, but later determined it to be a placebo affect. I then bumped it up to 20 mg a day. I think it was at that point where the irritability kicked in. For the last several days I have not added any to my mix.

Almost any nootropic shold be taken with supplemented choline. The metabolic cycles of brain functions almost all depend heavily on acetylcholine. Noopept, and in fact most nootropics, operates on the hippocampus and the neocortex, primarily, and so the septohippocampal pathway becomes the critical juncture between augmenting neural activity or disordering it. If you don’t have enough choline, other metabolic cycles kick in to produce enough choline to support the influx of other neurotransmitters, resulting in a cascade of unintended neural activity. Headaches, irritation, and lack of focus ensue.

If you’ve got enough choline in your bloodstream, your blood brain barrier gets enough choline through to your brain to enable consistent and sustained performance without initiating choline production cycles. Citicoline is an awesome source of choline because it metabolizes into choline and cytidine, which both cross the blood brain barrier and are reconstituted there via choline-phosphate cytidylyltransferase. Proper intake of phosphorous gives the brain plenty of nutrients to augment these processes, so you end up with a brain that can utilize larger groups of cells more frequently within a given time than without the nootropic. Larger groups of active cells means more nuanced activation of sensorimotor regions and feedback loops, and better understanding of patterns and sequences.

Not everyone needs to supplement with choline. Users should try noots without choline and see how it works for them, then add it if necessary. Common symptoms of insufficient choline are headaches, and “brain fog”, which I would describe as being the mental version of trying to walk in chest-high water. If you experience these symptoms with nootropics, eat an egg, they should pass in about ten minutes.

Personally I get awful brain fog from piracetam, regardless of dose, or dose of citicoline. Currently I use noopept (around 30mg a day) and citicoline (400mg a day). I take the noopept all in one dose in a capsule in the morning, and the citicoline goes into my soylent. I’m pretty happy with this arrangement, but I may experiment once I’m more settled into a routine with my soylent.
Currently

I know I’m about 700 days late to this, but I just wanted to point out that testosterone causes neither of those things. Men are more violent on average than women (except to their children), but it isn’t because of testosterone.