Extending the life of prepared Soylent (for kegging)

Prepared Soylent only lasts a day or so, but what I’d really like to do is keg Soylent for dispensing from my home kegerator. Soylent on tap sounds way too awesome to pass up.

Do you think Soylent will last longer when pressurized with CO2? Is oxidation the primary process which causes prepared Soylent to spoil? If CO2 won’t work, would nitrogen work?

(Also, there’s likely no need to worry about carbonating the Solyent. You only need 10-12 PSI to push through the system. It would probably take months to carbonate at 10-12 PSI.)

As a side note, I’m using 19L kegs, so I’d probably want it to last 7-10 days assuming roughly 2L/day consumption.

I REALLY like this idea.

Hmmm that’s kinda cool sounding. Makes me think how great it would be to hook up my fridge’s water dispenser to dispense Soylent instead!! LOL

I used to homebrew and have a commercial fridge with 2 COs lines/4x19L kegs (1x carbonating 3x serving) and developed a gluten intolerance. So… trying to find a use for the couple thousand dollars of equipment I have…

I’m just worried the Soylent will go bad too quickly. I could potentially get smaller kegs, I’m just wondering if there’s a way to make it last longer.

Best. Idea. Ever.

Seriously, here’s the official list:

1. Soylent on tap
  2. Jurassic Park
  3. Pneumatic tube burgers
  4. T-shirt guns
  5. Everything else

Congratulations, Soylent on tap. Long may you reign.

You might have a problem with it settling. It will be difficult to shake a keg. Three gallon kegs might be easier, but you would still probably have to disconnect them to shake them every time you want some Soylent.

Luckily, my fridge is the glass-front type you would see at a deli holding water bottles, so it’s incredibly easy to pop the door, disconnect from the gas, and shake.

My DIY soylent has always separated quickly, but I wasn’t expecting prepared Soylent to do so. Does it separate like that? Within hours?

seperation is a definite concern with those volumes and timespans. you could end up with skewed nutrition if it separates.

This is an awesome idea. Kegs of Soylent.

You need some kind of custom lid for the corny keg with an immersion blender built into it. Then you just turn the blender on for a minute before drawing a glass.

Rob did say he dreamed of Soylent on tap one day, didn’t he?

To be honest, Rob was the one who first mentioned his dream of having Soylent coming out of a tap. I just have the equipment to make it happen a little sooner. As casssax just posted. :smile:

Immersion blender is an interesting idea, but I wonder if a stir plate would suffice?

I LOVE this idea.
1st lever is for Beer
2nd lever is for Food

Rather than a kegerator, I would love to try using Soylent with a soft serve ice cream machine. And the constant churning wouldn’t allow it to separate.

Could be interesting.

Oh, wow, this sounds so gross to me. (Sorry.)

But I still think you should try it… for SCIENCE! :slight_smile:

I don’t know how you’ll keep it from separating, but surely other beverages with separation concerns have been kegged. Belgian beers are known to get a little cruft in the bottom, right? But you don’t shake the keg to fix that; I think you just don’t empty the whole thing. Hmm.

I would concerned about it being mixed right. If you have 7 days in there then you have a chance of getting vitamins and such for several days in one cup. I don’t think the mixture will be evenly distributed as one would hope. It does sound pretty cool though, good luck! :smile:

There’s normally some sediment in homebrew, but you usually just pull one and dump it to clear it out. After that, it’s not much of a concern.

Honestly, separation is an easy fix. I’m much more concerned about how long it lasts before going bad. I think I heard Rob say that it’d last a day or two. That’s definitely not enough. I’d think CO2 would help, but I’m hoping some other folks have some input.

It may not be oxidization that kills it; it could just be good old spoilage from microorganisms. If that’s the case, I wonder if either some sodium or potassium metabisulfite might be enough to stabilize it. Now if only I had an available keg and tap…

Potassium metabisulfite. Great idea! I would think that plus using my standard food safety knowledge from brewing plus keeping it on gas might be enough to stretch it to 7-10 days. :smiley:

7 - 10 days.
Fits in a small keg…
And enough for at least a week.