Facebook ads getting repetitive flack

When browsing Facebook, I’ll see a Soylent ad every now and then and the comments make me cringe so badly. The comments are so repetitive! 80% are people making fun of the name (hur hur hur, you’re so funny guys!) or questioning why Soylent chose the name when the movie exists (Do they think the name was chosen at random or it was a clownpenis.fart situation?), 10% are people saying it is bad for you and some tell you what you should be doing instead, and the last 10% are people actually saying nice things. It just makes me feel bad for Soylent. I can guarantee that the haters have never tried it nor understand what Soylent is trying to accomplish. Is there a way that those comments can be disabled or do all Facebook ads include comments?

i think its funny when people claim its bad for you… fine ill just go eat a pizza or mcdonalds instead, im sure thats much better than soylent

Its a brand strategy. It gets people talking about their product… and its working.

We don’t mind. Although i’m the one who tries to keep them clean. I’m are very open to what we allow stay. Some trolls fall through the cracks.

Bad publicity is still publicity.

New Soylent product names/branding

Do you think Soylent will ever drop the version moniker? Perhaps switch to colors :slight_smile:

I for one would love to purchase Soylent Green.

Soylent Red could be 1.5
Soylent Green could be 2.0
Soylent Blue could be the paste.

I would not like to see the Soylent Green joke restored to respectibility. If different kinds of Soylent had to be labeled, I would prefer labels that immediately make some sense, such as Soylent Power, Soylent Thin, Solid Soylent, Soylent Lowcarb, Soylent AntiDB, etc. But even then I imagine there would need to be version numbers.

Yes when the products hit a point at which we are happy. If you notice on the website we have them labeled as ‘Powder’ and ‘Drink’.

The versioning for other product types will be less extreme because we have the team size to hit products out of the park on the first go around.

I have no idea what AntiDB means, so in my head I read this as Soylent for people who hate databases.

Maybe diabetes? Who knows

:cry: dreams destroyed.

DB was intended to mean diabetes.

Just wanted to say I became a customer yesterday after a FB ad. One of my friends had liked it before and the ad showed up for me. IMO Facebook has the best ad experience then any other platform and the most relevant ads.

I’d guess most of them don’t like the name, and therefore become prejudiced to think it’s full of chemicals and DNA and throw in a few body parts to see if anyone hears the complaints. I keep hoping that Rosa Labs will come out with a new product with a new name, such as a solid food comparable to Mealsquares. Then when buying Mealsquares they may try Soylent to be shipped in the same box. When I bought Optifast 800 powder I also bought their liquids and snack bars. When I bought Full Bars snack bars I also bought about four of their other products.

I still think keeping their name Soylent is a good idea. It gets people talking about it, clicking on the ads, ect ect.

When news articles from Forbes, TIME, cover food alternative items, Soylent is what all others are compared to.

I haven’t heard people having the same or much of a reaction to other products such as Ambronite, Ketosoy, UberChow, Purelent, Huel, Ensure, Slimfast, Ketolent, Nutrilent, Schmoylent, Joylent, SupermealX, or Ample.

I think RL hit the ball out of the park naming their product Soylent.

My girlfriend’s reaction to seeing the first Soylent ad with Rob: “Is this REAL?” It’s a hell of a way to pique interest, and it works despite the flack, or maybe because of it.

I see a bit of a mainstream push with their advertising style lately, and part of me would like to see more sci-fi-ish ads (is it sci-fi or sci-non-fi since Soylent is now a reality? Talk amongst yourselves) to draw in more people who are interested in the product’s philosophy rather than just the enormous convenience factor. The most recent ad, Looking Forward, is a great example, and I hope to see more like it.

Joylent is hopping on the Facebook Ad band wagon. This is the first one I have seen.

We tend to see imitation and the emergence of competition as ominous for Soylent, but I think it really means that the basic ideas behind Soylent have spread and taken root. More and more people have decided to move beyond fast food and on to nutritious, convenient, and relatively inexpensive food. Soylent has company, but as they say, a rising tide lifts all boats.