Fasting Mimicking Diet on Soylent

Has anyone else tried a Fasting Mimicking Diet on Soylent? I already generally follow Intermittent Fasting (time-restricted eating) and try to eat my meals (50% Soylent) in 10 or fewer hours of the day, but I read about the potential benefits of the FMD and figured Soylent might fit the bill just about perfectly.

The general idea is to get the same benefits of something like a 3-day water fast, but in a much easier and safer way by still eating food every day (800-1000 calories a day for 4-6 days). The food you eat needs to be very balanced and contain plenty of vitamins/minerals, so that’s why I figured Soylent would be great.

I decided to give it a try a couple weeks ago and it went great. I drank 2 bottles of 2.0 a day and then snacked on some mixed nuts to get some extra sodium and fat/protein. I also added some electrolyte powder to a glass of water every day and took a multi-vitamin every other day just to be extra safe that I was getting everything I needed.

Overall I’d say it was quite easy to do. I was definitely hungry, but never to an extreme, and I always knew a small amount of food was just around the corner. My energy level was fine throughout, and had a big boost once I started eating normally again afterwards. I felt amazing those first few days afterwards. You’re supposed to avoid exercise while on the fast, but then once you start eating again, you’ll get a boost to muscle growth, and it definitely seemed like I managed to convert some fat into muscle. I visibly lost some minor flab around my stomach/waist, had to notch my belt a little tighter, but yet shortly after the fast I had only lost 3lbs (I’m not overweight at all, so it’s good I didn’t lose much if any weight).

I’ll definitely be doing it again. The FMD should not be done more than once a month to give your body time to recover, and many sources suggest doing it every other month or so, but I think I’ll likely stick to just a few times a year.

I’ve maintained a Soylent exclusive diet as a 30 day challenge a few times in the past. I definitely had way more than 1000 calories though, in total it has ranged from 1600-2500 each day.

I’ve never heard of a “Fasting Mimicking Diet” though, I wonder what the idea behind it is. I’ll have to look into it! :slight_smile:

Eating considerably less than you should is always bad for you, and any so called benefits go away once you start eating healthy amounts of food, and is seriously outweighed by all of the downsides of not eating/not eating much. One long term effect of self starvation is that your body will try and hold onto more fat just in case food becomes scarce again/you intentionally don’t feed yourself, which essentially changes your body type if you starve yourself enough. Just eat healthy foods in healthy amounts and excercise a healthy amount, and only turn to drastic measures like liposuction surgery if these healthy methods aren’t enough to keep you out of the obese range. I’m guessing your not obese though, so surgery is not nescessary (unless your (M.D.) doctor says otherwise).
Tl;Dr fasting bad, eating and excercising healthy amounts and types good.

Do you have any scientific studies to back up those claims about fasting? There are plenty of studies that show the benefits of fasting when done safely and correctly. The human body is meant to go through periods of feast and famine and thrives on it.

The starvation/diet effect you mention only applies to long term reductions in calories, that’s why diets typically don’t work. You lose a lot of weight in the first few weeks, but then your body adjusts your metabolism and tries to hold onto more fat and you lose those benefits. This doesn’t apply to short-term fasts though. You’re back to normal levels of eating in less than a week and your body doesn’t adjust your metabolism or fat storage.

Benefits of fasting all shown by various studies:

1. Fat burning.
  2. Promotes secretion of Human Growth Hormone, helps build muscle mass.
  3. Normalizes insulin sensitivity.
  4. Lowers cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
  5. Improves cognitive function and memory.
  6. Restores the immune system and reduces inflammation.
  7. Breaks down old/unneeded cells and helps prevent cancer.
  8. May slow down aging. Not proven in humans yet, but when intermittent fasts were performed on rats, they aged slower.

And these benefits are shown to last for months after the fast is done.

Got to agree. A lot of the so called facts about “starvation mode” never hold up to scientific scrutiny. Intermittent fasting has a weight of research behind it and although I’ve never fasted (intentionally), it clearly has a net positive effect on holistic health

Actually, “starvation mode” is a very real thing and easily observed … but it has to be actual starvation before you see it have the most damaging effects. It’s really easy to observe in fact – just ask any five women who have done low-calorie diets how fast the weight came back, whether they gained a bit more after, and whether it hurt them in the long run in their opinion. You’re likely to get 3 of the five having bad results, and probably worse. The same thing sort of applies to men, but in modern America, men don’t normally go on that kind of a dangerous diet unless they’re already fat and want to lose weight, or they’re entering the military.

Intermittent fasting, or even regular fasting, can have positive effects, assuming that the person doing it doesn’t binge in between.

Fasting Mimicking Diet seems like a really stupid idea. Fasting and intermittent fasting avoid the problems associated with ‘starving’ specifically by ‘not eating food’(carbs). Problems with starving come specifically from eating restricted calories.

Additionally the main benefits from fasting and IF come from forcing fat utilization. If you’re eating food, your providing blood glucose and then insulin, removing any benefit. If you’re sticking to IF while doing this then the only thing you gain is hunger and discomfort (and later happiness when you stop torturing yourself).

If you do not have adequate fat, fasting and calorie restriction causes gluconeogenesis or loss of muscle mass, especially without exercise. If you’re not overweight I would recommend not reducing calories.

I did a quick google and it seems mostly bs but I found this quote hilarious “[FMD has some] of the many health benefits of intermittent fasting”. If you’re already fasting … ¯\(ツ)

Seems like this is a topic for @MentalNomad.