Fasting vs Low Carb?

Intermittent fasting diets gaining acceptance

“Dr. Ludwig noted that the long-term effectiveness of fasting had not been well studied. He cautioned that for many people, fasting is simply too difficult and may slow metabolism. A potentially more practical approach is to limit sugar and other processed carbohydrates, replacing them with natural fats, protein and unrefined carbohydrates, he said.”

I’ve tried fasting from time to time. The really odd thing to me is that if I were going to the hospital and the doctor told me not to eat anything for 24 hours, I would have absolutely no difficulty following the orders . To do the same thing on my own initiative isn’t so easy, however.

But, just for fun, I’m on a fast today.

I can fast if I am absolutely distracted by something (video games or work). But I love food too much to just ignore hunger :stuck_out_tongue:

Then there’s that whole ‘starving yourself makes you gain more weight’ thing.

Intermittent fasting seems to be popular now thanks to Kinobody. She does not recommend a low carb diet because low carb diets reduce your testosterone.

Of course, that approach guarantees that you won’t get any of the potential benefits of fasting from protein, such as protein scavenging to reduce or reverse the buildup of plaques, or the rejuvenating effect of replacing older cells with new ones after a fast.

Dr. Dominic “Dom” D’Agostino from the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine recommends 5-7 days of fasting 3-4 times a year for a best bang for the bug approach.
Best to try to get into ketosis before starting your fast to prevent a huge down swing. For anyone interested a nice summary of some ideas listen to his Tim Ferris Podcast interview: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/11/03/dominic-dagostino/

That being said. Low Carb, Ketosis and Fasting all have different pros and cons and can be used for different results.