FDAs new food labels

So an article was posted on reddit today (I am sure many of you read it).

The summary is that nutrition labels are from 1968 science and new labels are coming in 2018.
But should Soylent wait till FDA forces new nutrition or should we switch to newer information?

Here is the related article:

Rosa Labs doesn’t get to determine what goes on their regulated labels, aside from some limited leeway they’re told what must be on it by the FDA. Right now the FDA is telling them the current rules, by 2018 they’ll have updated with some new rules, only then is RL both legally allowed and legally obligated to change their label.

Label is not important but nutrition is more important. e.g. when labels change, Vitamin C needs to be increased in diet. Should Rosa labs adjust nutrition now so that we are getting correct nutrition as per today’s science and not as per 1968’s science?

The FDA’s date was a deadline to switch. Once the new label was finalized there was nothing preventing a company from switching immediately (AFAIK).

Manufacturers will need to use the new label by July 26, 2018.

The 1.6 Nutrition Facts image looks like the new Nutrition Facts label, not the old one.

Old (left) vs. new (right) Nutrition Facts label:

Soylent 1.6 Nutrition Facts:

I’m assuming the image is the same as what the bags have. It would be odd for a new product to use the old label, IMO.

Awesome! :slight_smile: Does that mean that I can start using the new label designs immediately at Super Body Fuel?

I mean, it’s not like the FDA sends an email out to all the food companies to let them know about this… :stuck_out_tongue:

Smooth. Almost didn’t feel like an ad.

@Ode Heh, it wasn’t! :wink:

It’s an honest question. I’m hoping for you to weigh in, @wezaleff. :slight_smile:

He doesn’t need to weigh in, as he already did. He already answered your question. :wink:

He is slowly morphing into @Spaceman.

[quote=“user55, post:3, topic:25731”]
Label is not important but nutrition is more important. e.g. when labels change, Vitamin C needs to be increased in diet. Should Rosa labs adjust nutrition now so that we are getting correct nutrition as per today’s science and not as per 1968’s science?[/quote]

The label updates you’re referring to are these, right? They don’t change nutrition recommendations. Labels (from FDA) are rarely updated but US nutrition recommendations (from IOM) are more frequently updated and the science (the entire world) is constantly ongoing. I can confirm Rosa Labs has been basing their products on the science and nutrition recommendations, not simply the label laws.

I’ve only read the summary page, but AFAIK you’re good to go. I’d probably read everything if I were you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the link, I missed that thread somehow.

This is my worst nightmare. :open_mouth: Please elaborate ASAP on what exactly I can do differently to divert this fate. Is it the link? I can avoid linking to my site when I talk about things. The tricky thing is, SBF has consumed my life so everything I see here now is tinged by SBF lenses. Maybe that’s the problem?

How about I don’t link to any of my stuff from here, as a general policy? Would that make a difference? Or is it also just talking about SBF, as in brief posts that don’t go in-depth but just serve to tie into what I’m doing in a self-centered way? I’m thinking that would describe most of the offending posts that we’re both talking about here. :wink: What do you think?

I think you are fine @axcho. You have been an good part of the discussions since the beginning. Personally I like having links in your comments so it shows your “bias”. Your opinion is important because you are more informed than most people. As long as you keep providing value (comedy, knowledge or whatever) I will look forward to your posts.

They’re really stressing the number of calories aren’t they?

If you’re only going to read one number on the Nutrition Facts label, calories is probably the most important.

Unless you have high blood pressure. Then suddenly, sodium is the most important number – combined with “# of servings per package”.

Unless you have scurvy. Then suddenly, vitamin C is the most important number.

You don’t often hear about people with scurvy these days!

Avast ye sallow seadog. That does not negate his point.