Fear of developing allergies?

A few years ago, my doctor had me get an advanced blood test to test for food allergies and sensitivities. Overall, I did really well, with the exception of onions. However, the recommendations came back to vary the type of foods, especially proteins, that I consumed with a 3 day spread. They said that 3 days is plenty of time for the body to deal with any increased inflammation or whatever other response occurs to food to which a person might be sensitive.

I’ve also heard of people eating pizza every day and eventually becoming extremely sensitive and even allergic to it (obviously something in it, be it dairy, or wheat or tomatoes, I suppose). Nurse’s and doctor’s used to develop allergies to rubber gloves due to constant exposure.

I post all this because I only found one topic slightly similar: http://discourse.soylent.me/t/food-diversty-too-much-of-a-source-too-little-of-something-else/19345

I love the idea of Soylent and am due to receive my first batch of DIY ingredients in a day or two. But I wonder if being exposed to the exact same proteins every single day for years on end might start causing a problem.

Because of this concern, I would like to try and develop 3 different recipes that have different major ingredients. But I am finding that is a more easily said than done. For example, I made a masa recipe based off of People Chow. If I want to go to an oat flour recipe, maltodextrin seems to be the most common complement. But this is made from corn here in the good old USA. What could I use instead of maltodextrin? I’m finding that oat flour alone is way too high in Omega-6.

Is anyone else concerned?

Allergic reaction to Soylent 1.4

Not concerned one bit personally. My diet has changed close to not at all since I was 3 or 4 years old (I’m in my 40s now) and my mom was always telling me as a kid how I was going to become allergic to _________ because I consumed so much of it. Never happened, not even a tiny bit. Personally I believe the entire concept of such is flawed, but I’m not an expert on such matters so can only speak for myself.

Also in case it matters, I have never had any allergies to anything at all.

I actually have heard of allergies developing from excess exposure (and don’t think it’s flawed as a concept); other than the rubber gloves, certain kinds of nuts come to mind. That said, my limited understanding of the subject is that it’s much more likely to happen with some substances than others.

I’m by no means an expert so I couldn’t go into more detail if I wanted to but, as your doctor said, the recommendation to vary your intake is to give time for the body to deal with a response that is already occurring due to sensitivity - not, as the topic implies, to prevent developing new sensitivities.

A counter example would be to think of all of the body builders who consume the same protein supplement every day with no ill effects (other than possible long term effects from excess protein consumption but that’s a different topic). Also, it may be possible that when your doctor refers to “proteins” he’s not thinking of proteins in a molecular sense so much as a food group sense - there are plenty of things in meats that could cause inflammation that aren’t just proteins.

As far as I can tell, maltodextrin made from corn doesn’t have the corn allergens. I’m sensitive to corn myself (recently, after inadvertantly eating some snack chips I didn’t realize were made with corn until after, I had–bathroom issues–within the hour and lingering for more than a day). But months of Soylent 1.0, 1.1 and 1.3, chockful of maltodextrin, gave me no issues at all.

Wow… I hadn’t even considered this. I guess It’s a good reason to keep up the occasional muggle meals (I’m down to 1 out of 3 from 1 out of 2). Food allergies is of keen interest in my small family as my dad developed celiacs (gluten intolerance) seemingly out of nowhere (following a hospital stay for lower back surgery). My sister developed a soy allergy after a nasty bit of food poisoning (shellfish). Not clear to me how or if the hospital stay or food poisoning caused these ailments… neither had food allergies before. Will be interested to see how this thread evolves.

Now that you mention it, I did notice that my psyllium seed husk powder had a warning on it that people who are exposed to it may develop an allergic reaction:

Possible adverse reactions include allergic reactions, especially among those having had regular exposure to psyllium dust.

I didn’t really worry about it at the time, but that may be important to someone preparing DIY or adding psyllium husk powder to Soylent daily (I only used it occasionally and haven’t used it at all recently).

Personally, I’m worried that I’ve recently developed or am developing a slight allergy to almonds. And I love almonds. :frowning:

I’m pretty sure almonds are one of those known for creating new allergies with excessive exposure :frowning: I could be wrong though, hopefully I’m wrong

Yeah, I started drinking almond milk a year or two ago, and I’ve eaten almonds basically all my life. Just recently I’ve noticed a scratchy throat after drinking it, and after some Googling that seemed the most likely culprit.