Feds say food price jump is coming

USDA warns of sticker shock on U.S. beef as grilling season starts

Is this the trend for the foreseeable future?

It wouldn’t be so bad if you could meet all your basic nutritional needs with an affordable, ubiquitous food source and enjoy traditional food delicacies whenever you wanted to treat yourself.

:yum:

As somebody who already pays $7+/lb for fancy burger meat, I wonder if I’ll escape? Like… does the demand mostly hit the cheap, corn-fed, don’t-ask-any-questions beef? Or does it end up affecting all beef?

<Warning: Politically charged statement ahead!>

And they still claim that we have zero inflation.

</politics>

Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to s̶u̶b̶s̶i̶s̶t̶ thrive on Soylent instead!

Buy local. Get a meat CSA share. Those prices are pretty steady.

Food inflation is temporary and largely caused by weather-related issues. A massive drought in the Midwest and West as well as poor weather in the winter on the East Coast.

Any suggestions of a permanent and steep inflation trend in food prices is extremely premature.

Cattle prices would be affected across the board regardless of the quality of beef you purchase. It’s spread with cheaper quality beef would persist and its absolute value would increase commensurate with the increase in lower quality beef.

They are coming for your Kobe beef burgers for sure. :slight_smile:

Well, the CSA shares I have looked at are the same for the next year as they were last year.

Sorry, to be clear I was not referring to community-supported agricultural programs. I was referring to market prices.

Supply and demand (just like oil) for beef.

With the increased likely-hood of more people eating beef this holiday weekend, so has the prices reflected it. Typical.

Supply and demand typically have skewered numbers because the assumption is that the trend will continue indefinitely (until a new study shows it not continuing) even though the product is still being produced at the same rate.

We hopefully won’t have to worry about that when Soylent becomes ubiquitous.

Well, for what its worth, this year sucks for farming, at least in Wisconsin. I don’t know how the rest of the states look, but an increase in food price wouldn’t surprise me.

Grocery store meat is gross anyway. Watch the movie Frankensteer on Netflix. Then… Find a local butcher who let’s his cows live like cows.

Man I hope I can live completely on Soylent soon to avoid high food prices :frowning:

I am concerned about this long-term, but not short. I economized our beef supply.

I buy my beef locally by the half-cow for $2.80/lb processed. So about $1300/yr for ~460lbs and I can tell them how I want it; and it all fits in a 7 cu ft freezer.
That’s $2.80/lb for every cut; Ribeye, T-Bone, Brisket, Ground, Round Steaks, Sirloin, Hot Dogs, Summer Sausage, etc, etc. Best part is I can get the heart and liver and gift them to my Dad as presents because he’s got the olde time tastes.

We did that when we had kids, Gannas. Now that it is just the two of us, our butcher offers 40 and 60 lb customized boxes. Sooooo good.

Nobody says 0 inflation. We like to have about 2% inflation, because if money isn’t inflating, people tend to hoard it, which means no investments, no new industries, no new jobs, etc. 2% per year is considered healthy.

But monetary inflation affects the price of goods and labor equally, price inflation due to consolidated markets and the wealthy manipulating them to their advantage, now that is something most American’s agree is an enormous problem we presently face.

What everyone who lives in the US needs to learn about.

Okay @croatiansoylent, this one is pretty dang good! Thanks for the post. I’ll have to watch it a few times to take it all in, but it was surprisingly well produced and informative.

Just make sure to invest in Bitcoin, it has numerous advantages over gold/silver.
A lot of serious people are rightfully saying that USA will collapse in the next 10 years.

Nah, don’t believe it. Nowhere near collapse. We’re seeing the painfully slow erosion of the middle class, but there’s still plenty of opportunity to do well here.

The USA isnt collapsing in 10 years or ever. LMAO!