Feedback on 1.8

I’m really noticing the grittiness in 1.8, and it’s becoming a pretty big turn-off. I’m only seeing sporadic reports of grit, though, so I’m wondering if I just got a bad batch or if everyone else likes their Soylent on the crunchy side.

• Now with flavor crystals!

Yeah, it’s in mine too… Doesn’t really bother me though. The gas on the other hand…

I’m noticing the grit too, but it doesn’t bother me as much as the ‘raw flour’ aftertaste, which I guess is what a lot of people are calling cardboard-y. I haven’t yet found a flavoring that will cover it.

It is funny how people perceive different flavors. To me, 1.7 had a strong cardboard aftertaste. I wasn’t able to drink it without flavoring. 1.8 has a little grit but I can drink it plain with only a packet of Stevia to sweeten it a bit.

Does anyone else notice a slightly sore throat after drinking 1.8?
I’m starting to think the grit is wet sanding the moving parts of my throat… Always have to follow it with water or it seems to get progressively worse. I don’t have the same problem with 2.0, so I don’t think its a food sensitivity.

I have not noticed a sore throat, I drink 400 kcal morning and 400 kcal early afternoon then eat solid food for dinner. When I drink my meals I have always accompanied them with a 16 oz water bottle, I never had to chase after every sip before, but the grittiness is undeniable and now I chase every sip…which is a bummer because I especially enjoyed the taste of 1.7, not as much with 1.8 but I would still like to enjoy it rather than just drink it to get it over with. If you think that the grit is affecting your throat try chasing it with water and see if that makes a difference.

Aren’t Powder & Drink [slightly] different? That was definitely the case with 1.6, which was discontinued due to [possible] food sensitivity for some.

My impressions on 1.8: As I see others have mentioned, the gritty texture is very apparent and new from 1.6-1.7. I’m not a big fan of that, but it’s not that off-putting. I definitely prefer 1.7 to 1.8, but will probably keep my subscription.

My 1.8 came in today - thumbs up from me. Usually each formula change tastes a little weird and takes a day or so to get used to. My reaction to 1.8 was “oh yeah, this is good.” Had to mix up a second serving right away, I’ll probably regret it. I do notice the grittiness, maybe letting it sit longer will help? I’ll have to try that next time.

I noticed a sore throat, too, but contributed it to seasonal allergies. I’ll wait and see if things change. I’m not convinced that it’s the Soylent since it’s springtime (pollen).

I don’t like the grit in 1.8 either. Is it consistent? Does it go away over time if left to sit? I also liked the fact that algea​ was in it rather than corn.

I really liked 1.7 and want it back.

Corn didn’t replace algae, it replaced isomaltooligosaccharide. Algae wasn’t in 1.7 either.

My mistake, thank you for the clarification.

I started drinking Soylent with 1.6 and, now I am in the middle of my first bag of 1.8. The flavor of versions 1.6 & 1.7 took a couple meals to get used to, and 1.8 seems the same. The new feature for me is the gas. I hope my digestive track adjusts, or I will have to avoid Soylent use before any social situation.

All you need is some gas-X or store brand gas relief product. I use one when I eat bananas - lol, they give me gas. Lucky for me, I work with seniors and no one needs to know who it was when it is inevitable!

Have you tried mixing it in a blender? I have a NINJA I just mix the whole bag with water to make the full 2 liters and it’s so creamy smooth. After sitting in the fridge for awhile, it also thickens some - pure delight.

For me, 1.8 is the only drinkable powder so far. The improvement of taste from 1.7 to 1.8 is much more dramatic than from 1.6 to 1.7.

To rank the taste, 2.0 > 1.8 > 1.7 > 1.6.

On a scale of 1 to 5 (tastiest)

• 2.0, 5
  • 1.8, 3.5
  • 1.7, 1.5
  • 1.6, 1

*I have found an ester egg http://files.soylent.com/pdf/soylent-nutrition-facts-1-9-en.pdf :laughing:
** http://files.soylent.com/

Nice list, that unfortunately doesn’t mention that a number of people vehemently preferred 1.3.

I think that good taste can be a trap in our addictive culture. A popular political slogan these days is “do your job”. I think that food should primarily adhere to that slogan. “Umm! That’s great! I think I’ll have another!” is the last thing I want to say about a bottle of Soylent.

I would only say that about Coffiest. That stuff tastes great to me!

1.8 is perfect. Please keep it the same! 1.7 gave me GI crisis, 1.6 headaches. 5 stars! Do I need to buy a years’ supply before it changes again?