Feedback requested on formula

Link to formula:

I’ve got some questions regarding this potential formula, any reply is greatly appreciated.

First off, I’ve seen many people using maltodextrin. I gathered the notion while reading relevant threads that maltodextrin tends to be absorbed quickly. As such, I started looking at oats and found a nice product. Is it okay to consume that as my only source of carbs? Could the protein it provides differ from any other source in any meaningful way?

Second, is there much difference between the different oils available as a fat source? I happen to have plenty of soybean oil already, so that’s what I’ve used here.

Third, I’ve read at some point that some minerals interfere with the absorption of others. Is there any way I can determine if this could occur if I were to crush the listed tablets/pills?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Note that I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle, but I’m not entirely sure how my protein etc. intake ought to change in relation to that.

As far as using just oats goes, there are a few possible concerns, some more serious than others.

1. Oats contain high levels of minerals such as magnesium and manganese, which are easy to overdose on. You should enter more complete nutrition facts for oats into your spreadsheet. (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5708/2). You’ll probably find that you don’t need that multi-mineral. It’s open to question whether you’d actually overdose on minerals from eating that many oats, because it seems to be true that minerals in food are processed differently than minerals in supplements, and that it’s hard to overdose on minerals through food. Still, something to worry about.
  2. Oats contain high levels of phytic acid, which is a substance that binds to various minerals (calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, …) and prevents their absorption. So with that much phytic acid you might end up getting too few minerals. This concern might ironically cancel out with (1), but I wouldn’t count on it.
  3. Eating that quantity of oats might give you incredible flatulence.
  4. That quantity of oats might negatively affect the texture of your drink.

Oat protein is good protein. Of the nine essential amino acids, it’s short on lysine.

There are differences between fat sources, but I don’t understand the issues very well so I won’t comment on it.

Magnesium a little high I would say. You will also need something to flavour it, and that will add various things (if cocoa powder for example, it will add iron, mag etc).

Re oat only for protein, it probably isn’t a very complete amino acid profile, you might want to throw in some whey or something (also I think your protein needs to be raised somewhat).

Fat, yes, there is a huge difference between sources. Aside from the ongoing debate about fats, each fat has a different breakdown of saturated, unsaturated and monounsaturated. Depending on where you look you will find a different optimum ratio. (there is also 03/06 ratio to potentially consider). Generally speaking olive oil is a decent place to start though, as it contains mostly mono and has a pretty decent amount of evidence behind it as a healthy fat source. No idea about soybean, it might be a super high pufa one?.

Generally speaking though, you should probably browse the forums here a little more before committing to a recipe as I am fairly sure a lot of these topics have been discussed in more detail in other threads if you can find them :).

Very informative. The oat flour product linked in the spreadsheet states that only iron, calcium, and phosporous are present. Your link’s immediate nutrition chart reinforces that, but reading further does show the other present minerals. Why aren’t those listed in the product’s nutritional information?

In place of some oat flour to offset a few impacts you’ve stated, would maltodextrin be the ideal choice?

Very informative. The oat flour product linked in the spreadsheet states that only iron, calcium, and phosporous are present. Your link’s immediate nutrition chart reinforces that, but reading further does show the other present minerals. Why aren’t those listed in the product’s nutritional information?

The nutrition facts on product labels usually are not complete. :-/

In place of some oat flour to offset a few impacts you’ve stated, would maltodextrin be the ideal choice?

Maltodextrin would be a good choice. I think you’d also need to add protein powder to make up for the protein you’re losing, and possibly a fiber supplement to make up for the fiber you’re losing. Sorry to complicate things so much!

The saturated fat content of soybean oil is about half of what it ought to be. I had read that olive oil was ideal, I’ll look into using that in combination or as a replacement. Thanks.

The percentages given for your Multimineral are per 4 capsules, not per capsule, so the lifespan of that pack is only 60 days.
Also, you will still need to supplement phosphor, and possibly more potassium than you currently do.

Your Multivitamin only has 10% of the needed Biotin/Vitamin B7, so that needs to be supplemented too.
In addition you might want to look into Choline/Vitamin B4.

You’re completely missing Vitamin K.

Of course I’m not taking into account anything contained in your oats/oil. :smiley:
(If I did, I would have to point out that you are overdosing on Manganese and Magnesium)