Final production cost and nutritional benefit discussion

So, I’ve tallied up my current cost of eating breakfast and lunch for a week and it comes out to about $27. I plan on only using Soylent for Breakfast/Lunch on a regular basis and eating dinner as a regular meal. So, for 14 meals/week this comes out to about $1.93/meal. I routinely eat fruit/yogurt/granola or fruit/oatmeal for breakfast and a huge salad, with as many colors as possible, for lunch. There’s hardly any variation in this diet. The hard justification for me is that Soylent is currently priced at a little over $3/meal ($65/21 meals). Even if I add in my protein powder and multivitamin at breakfast I’m up to about $2.36/meal.

I know that the ~$0.80 difference/meal doesn’t seem like much but I watch my money so closely that for me it will add up to a big difference quickly. And nutrient wise, with my protein powder and multivitamin in addition to a nice healthy breakfast/lunch I feel like I’m getting the majority of what my body needs at a lower cost. I’d probably put the protein powder in the soylent anyways thus adding to the cost of the soylent meals. So, unless I see soylent come down into the $2.50/meal range I’m not sure I’ll get it. The only upside is that it would be a little quicker to make than my breakfast or lunches thus saving time. Not much though if I still have to blend it with stuff. (I’m also very quick at making meals)

Anyone else in the cost consciences crowd had similar thoughts??

btw, some might think that my dinners are expensive and that I should replace those if I’m worried about cost. I eat relatively small meals at dinner, rarely eat out, and that is the one meal my family eats together. Cost wise, it’s not much more per meal than my breakfast or lunches and I wouldn’t want to skip eating with my family while I chug down more soylent, lol.

For me the $0.80 does not make a difference to my budgeting (I am fortunate to be able to say that). It has (with DIY and soon with Soylent) helped tremendously with my weight management and actually eating like I should. Previously I rarely ate breakfast and lunch was whatever restaurant is closest and sometimes I skipped that.
Cost is a little high, but I think he priced it correctly for the early adopters. Once the orders stabilize and ultimately determine if this is a viable business, I would expect prices to drop to increase demand.
Think of it this way, a lot of today’s price has gone into development, factories, partnerships, mistakes, etc. Once those things are worked out, a large part of those costs diminish.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like you ate out quite a bit more than I do so the benefits of switching over to Soylent are sure to beef up the wallet and be healthier for you. I haven’t had to be concerned (much) with the weight management side of things so the only real factor in my decision is cost. It has the heaviest weight out of anything for me (nutritional, cost, time savings, etc.).

I’m sure the fundraising campaign prices don’t even begin to cover all the costs that the team has encountered throughout the process. We’re getting it very cheap in retrospect. You’re right though, after all the initial “startup” tasks are out of the way and volume production (demand) begins then the price should drop quite a bit more. Unless of course they decide to sell it as a hot profit making product, lol. I don’t see Rob & team doing that though since they’ve always considered Soylent as a product to help those in the world who are malnourished.

It is likely that you won’t need the full portion of Soylent per meal. This alone would lower the cost to somewhat 2,50$/meal. Or you beef the macros up with some additional oats. Then you certainly hit the 2,50$ mark.

While Soylent won’t save you much time compared to a musli neither in shopping nor preparation nor consumption, lunch will be different. Factor in saving a half an hour of time at lunch and Soylent will certainly be a benefit for you. You can use the gained time conveniently for a short nap.