First DIYer: Wanna help a newbie?

Hello and thank you so much for reading this post.

Long story made short: I live in one of the most expensive places in Canada and I need to lower my food costs ASAP (while being as healthy as possible).

I’m new to DIY soylent, I’ve been working on my recipe here:
Vancouver Island Chow V0.2

Some problems I’m having:

1. Where the heck is every one getting their Vitamin K? I’m having the hardest time fulfilling this important vitamin. I’ve searched the forum and the only decent thing to come up has been Soy Lecithin, but I’d have to use a grotesque amount to achieve the amount I want.

2. I’m low in Sulfur. Not sure if I’m entering my nutritional values incorrectly or if the recipes I’m mimicking overestimate theirs…

3. I can’t avoid going into the red-zone for Niacin. I’ve read about niacin flush and it doesn’t sound too bad, but I’d like to avoid if possible. Not sure if there is a way around this but I’m open to advice.

And, of course, if you skim the recipe and have any other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thank you so much!

Perhaps you could look at what others have done and adapt the ingredients to what you can get in Canada.

https://diy.soylent.com/recipes/soylent-green-11

1. Max’s classic Bachelor Chow used soybean oil for fat, which provides a good amount of vitamin K. I don’t quite remember why I switched from soybean to canola in my own formulation. Price, maybe? Personally, I use THORNE D/K2 drops, which is cheap and provides K2.

2. Your whey protein does not list sulfur as a component, but through a couple amino acids you should get enough sulfur that you don’t need to supplement. You should edit the ingredient appropriately. More details in this post:

1. Your niacin problems are entirely due to GNC Mega Men Sport Vanilla. I’ve spent way too many hours trying to reduce the niacin myself, but the main problem is just that Mega Men Sport is poorly balanced, providing way too much of some things and not enough of others. I took the plunge about a year ago and switched out to using the Kirkland Signature Daily multivitamin, which is cheaper, doesn’t have niacin problems, and is generally better balanced. You can have a look at my GNC and Kirkland recipes to see more or less what needs to change when swapping between them.

@horsfield
Thank you sir, I have been. Unfortunately I’m finding other people’s recipes in Canada have been grossly inaccurate for their nutrients. Often its because vitamins bought here are different than in the States.
See my last forum post on my multivitamin.
I’m starting to notice the same issue with simple ingredients such as masa and oils…
I’ll try looking at more American recipes, thanks again.

@austonst
Awesome! I’ve been looking for soybean oil and I can’t find it anywhere, but I’ll keep on truckin’. I will also double check my whey nutrients!
Those drops look very promising, but I’d worry about getting too much vitamin D. Will fiddle with the recipe and see how it works.
Thank you so much!

I really appreciate the advice. I’m gonna be broke for years and DIY Soylent may save me from malnutrition.

Unfortunately I’ve already bought the GNC powder, I guess I’m stuck with it for a bit… I should’ve been more patient.
Thank you, though. This is all super helpful!

Recipe updated!

Thank you @austonst , those drops are fantastic.

I used other American recipes to get an approximate for the sulfur in my whey, but I’m having trouble finding an accurate representation of SAA in my other ingredients.
There’s little information showing the amount of methionone and cysteine in food…
grumble grumble
No matter, if I increase the amount of protein a little I am getting enough. I was thinking of increasing the protein anyways.

So far my recipe seems to be complete. I probably will change my vitamins to something closer to the Kirkland recipe at a later date, but for now I have all this Mega Men powder, I might as well use it.

Any other recommendations, folks?