First impressions of soylent (1.5)

I live in Toronto. I couldn’t believe that Soylent finally ships to Canada! As soon as I saw this I placed an order right away. (I learned about it a week after the announcement; somehow I didn’t get an email, or didn’t see it).

The package arrived in about 3 days.

Note: although the title says 1.5, this is really my first time trying Soylent ever, so it’s not like I’m comparing 1.5 to 1.3 or anything like that.

First impressions:

Taste: very bland, but very neutral.
Texture: very smooth/creamy. Like a melted ice cream.

The smell was somewhat familiar. I’m not sure why. It might be the oat flour (I used it once to try and make a DIY formula).

When I drank the first cup, it kinda upset my taste buds a little bit. Psychologically made me feel like I want to eat. It wasn’t hunger per se … I just felt like I want to taste some “umami”.

Next time, I added xylitol (a sweetener), and it made me actually enjoy drinking it. It also stopped the psychological hunger.

It’s easy to “over eat” Soylent. I drank three cups in one sitting, and after 10 minutes I realized that was too much. I sort of felt stuffed, but not the same way one would feel after eating too much food. It’s hard to describe. Perhaps it’s what you’d feel if you drink too much milk and/or water. Being too full made me vomit a little in my mouth.

Note: I’m not doing 100% Soylent (probably never will).

Currently required to be on a liquid diet (not Soylent), and I can’t figure out a good way to feel full.

Usually I eat until I’m full, and it’s very difficult to not drink more than I should. I sympathize.

I’ve had good luck switching to smaller and more frequent meals. That way I don’t get really hungry. I typically have 300 calories every 2-3 hours.

This is one of the very few complaints I have about Soylent in general. I have learned to pace myself, but in the beginning (and even now if I am not portion-conscious), I could easily go overboard and drink way too much of it. This is partially a good thing because I like it so much. It is easy to combat, because I use a glass that is 1/4 of a pitcher, and so I know when I finish, it is one “meal” worth (4 meals/day).

If I could drink as much as I liked with no ill effects, I could easily consume 1.5 to 2 pitchers per day, I believe. (Note: I haven’t tested this, so it might not be completely true.)