First timer. I have a series of weight loss/nutrition questions

To be specific… http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/vanilla-ice-cream

2000 calories / 250 calories per serving = 8 servings.
8 servings * 1/2 a cup = 4 cups.
4 cups / 2 cups in a pints = 2 pints, or half a gallon.

If you ate a gallon tub of ben & jerries ice cream, you would get 4000 calories. Twice what you want.

I know this is a bit tangential to your actual questions (which are detailed and awesome), but I thought it was worth mentioning that Soylent isn’t particularly designed for weight loss (if I understand correctly).

1 Like

You couldn’t also paste the URLs of the threads in here?

1 Like

I could, but I didn’t memorize the URLs, it happens. I could Google again, and I will, if you will explain why Googling those two words would be easier for me than for you.

P.S. If you do Google them, please post any useful URLs you find!

2 Likes

Interesting. When I was looking things up, I googled maltodextrin by itself to see what it was in its own right, then I went on here and searched maltodextrin, and didn’t get any real results. Either way, I had several questions and decided to include that one. Thanks though.

That’s a good point! I know that it’s mostly designed for consistent and convenient nutrition, and not necessarily to lose weight, but given that weight is a huge part of my current health problems, I created this thread to see if this could be an option for that, and for me specifically. I’m actually glad that it isn’t toted as a “magic weight loss serum.”

2 Likes

Alright, I’ve ordered a one week’s supply, and am going to pace myself and see how I feel. Thanks so much for everyone’s input. It can be difficult to self educate online with all of the conflicting information out there.

I’m going to:

Stick to my 5 bottles a day plan, allowing myself to snack a little for the first few days.

Consume enough water based on my body weight.

Make sure to have one serving of salt per day.

Soylent seems like a great product, from a company with actually good intentions. I look forward to seeing where this goes. I’ll likely post some kind of update on how I feel in a few months.

5 Likes

I didn’t even know they sold gallon tubs of Ben & Jerry in grocery stores. I’ve only seen pint and cup (or possibly even half-cup?) tubs. I have no interest in looking it up, but I assume that a full pint of ice cream is less than 2000 kcal.

If you’re concerned about the GI of Soylent, there’s a simple solution: add fiber via psyllium husk powder. You can pick up a large container of Metamucil at your local Walgreens. 1.5 is actually lower on fiber compared to previous versions (probably due to Rosa wanting to control the gas issue.) Some people add 1-2 tablespoons (about 6g of fiber), but others a bit more. Just don’t add too much because then you’ll be dealing with malabsorbtion.

Another solution (what I do) is to add powdered peanut butter (PB2 brand). In addition to the fiber content, it also enhances flavor and adds additional protein (which many here say 1.5 is lacking.) From what I understand, protein also contributes to lowering GI so you’re actually getting multiple benefits.

2 Likes

[quote=“nanciejk, post:19, topic:25632”]
I have no interest in looking it up, but I assume that a full pint of ice cream is less than 2000 kcal
[/quote]A pint would be 1000 calories.

2 pints would be a full days worth.

Took me less than 20 seconds to find this thread again, with comments by Rob and Mental Nomad, both experts IMHO.

3 Likes

Wow. You must be a charming, well adjusted person.

Have a great life.

Right right. Of course it makes sense that Soylent might work well as part of a weight-loss process, and there are a few success stories on the forum (some on the official weight loss thread I think, @mtandy’s being one example, although obviously fairly extreme in terms of his start weight).

Ok, that motivated me to type up a thread about the weight loss I’ve experienced over 4.5 months drinking mostly 5 bottles of Soylent per day (30+ lbs):

4 Likes

I’d actually recommend fiber gummies. I’ve had trouble mixing stuff into 2.0 (especially psyllium husk powder) so I generally add things separately these days.

I suspect a more accurate summary is “You would lose weight for a short while, then you would develop metabolic syndrome from the high sugar intake, then you would gain weight and become obese, then you would develop a lot of other health problems…”

No.

The science is really very, very simple. To gain weight, you need a caloric surplus. To lose weight, you need a caloric deficit.

I think someone has already cited the Twinkie experiment: Twinkie diet helps neutron professor lose 27 pounds.

“Haub followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.”

1 Like

I think we’re going to have to run a little experiment here. We just need someone willing to eat 2000 calories of ice cream for a few alright fine I’ll do it.

6 Likes

Would soylent freeze up like ice cream in an ice cream maker (or rolling it across the floor in a can like a kid?). With different LorAnn flavors it might actually be able to come out more tasty then some store bought.

I imagine if you at it slowly it would be fine. Like a spoon full every half hour or something. That way you wouldn’t overload your insulin with a high dose of sugar.

You’d still need vitamins though.