Fish Oil and its Connection to Prostate Cancer

I’m not sure how much fish oil is being recommended to take, however, I think someone should carefully think this recommendation through. The use of fish oil is a bad idea for men, maybe more specifically men older than 40 years of age, for more reasons than just the taste. According to a recent study published in The Journal of the National Cancer Institute, there was a 43% increase in the risk of cancer for those who had the highest concentrations of Omega 3s.

Source article: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/again-why-men-should-avoid-fish-oil-071113

Just remember there is too much of a good thing.

There are definitely pro’s and con’s to every supplement. As they say, everything causes cancer and everything prevents cancer.

I can quickly find two studies indicating the benefits of fish oil in relation to cancer:

Fish oil improved weight, appetite, reduced post-surgical morbidity, and results in improvement in clinical, biological and QoL parameters for cancer patients.
Study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17408522

Fish oil decreases the risk of colorectal cancer: "Significant dose-dependent reductions in risk were associated with increased consumption of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids"
Study: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/166/2/181

Beyond those cancer-related benefits of fish oil, there are far reaching benefits associated with the omega-3 fatty acids, DHA, and EPA in fish oils related to depression and mental illness, cardiovascular disease, and weak claims about Alzheimer’s and dementia.

On a side-note, I highly recommend this online visualization/database:

It categorizes health benefits associated with a variety of dietary sources by the strength of the study: strong evidence, good evidence, promising, inconclusive, slight, and none.

It’s certainly worth further research, but at this point it is not reasonable to imply that fish oil causes prostate cancer.

That study was ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with fish oil, or Japan would have one of the highest rates of prostate cancer in the world.

Please search before you post: there are many threads covering this topic.

I think the point is that too much of a supplement is bad. I don’t think anyone would disagree with that. I was only saying that I personally do not take fish oil supplement because I do not need it. Why take it if it is not necessary? Also, why take more than is beneficial?

No, no one would disagree with that. But who ever said there was too much fish oil in the product?

This entire product is about finding out what nutrients are optimal and including them. Of course there will be some overages - and probably some deficiencies! - depending on the individual, since this is not a personalized product. It’s not a product that identifies all possible nutrients and turns them all up to 11, so to speak.

To more directly answer your question: it is well understood and accepted in the scientific and nutritional communities that omega-3 fatty acids are both necessary and beneficial. It is also accepted that fish oil is an excellent (the best?) source for this substance. So it is not a surprise that some quantity of fish oil is present in the product.

I don’t believe it is in Soylent. I thought it was a supplement that was shipped along with the product and beta testers were instructed to take while on Soylent. I think you can probably get a decent amount of Omega 3 and Omega 6 from Olive oil as well. I’m still trying to figure out how I want to deal with the need, since it won’t be in the powder.

See: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7452/9567504564_1e72f63c47_h.jpg

I’m not going to go out of my way to take more of the supplement than would normally be in a diet. However, if I want to try out a couple of weeks on Soylent alone, I think I might go with Olive oil. The reason being is because the best source for these Omega fatty acids is fish not capsules.

I would imagine that the quality of the fish that the supplements are gathering fish oil from for the supplements aren’t quite as high as the fish that are sold for consumption on the market. That is totally an assumption on my part, but it would make sense that the fish that don’t make it to market aren’t as high of quality.

Okay, maybe not. Maybe flaxseed oil. Are there any recommendations out there? :o)