Fish oil is a bad idea

I’ve tried taking fish oil and find it horrible - doesn’t agree with me. I don’t eat fish. So for me personally the addition to Soylent may be a deal breaker.

I want Soylent to succeed and I want to be able to use it. I think eliminating fish oil will help in both those areas.

Adding fish oil excludes what could likely be a significant market for Soylent: vegetarians and vegans (as well as anyone who hates fish as much as I do).

Please consider making a vegan and/or fish-less formula.

The fish oil will be separate. On the side.

if you have ordered Soylent already, and have no filled out the survey on backerkit, then please do so. There is a vegan version where they wont ship you the fish oil.

While I agree that “fish oil is separate” is a valid point, this does raise a question I’ve actually been wondering about as well: how much of a taste, if any, is the fish oil likely to impart to the formula?

I’d assume that in general, the Soylent team is going to try to minimize any ‘fishy’ aftertaste, but it’s still something I’ve considered – I don’t eat fish either, and though I could probably just put up with it, it would be preferable not to have some off-putting flavor notes hanging around in the mix. Has anyone doing DIY soylent had experience with this?

There’s such a minimal amount that the taste won’t be noticeable. Even straight, uncut fish oil doesn’t have a terribly fishy taste. It’s unpleasant, but not enough so to affect the whole mixture. I haven’t seen any reports of fish oil affecting the taste at all, but then again I haven’t looked for it. Would be worth a search through the blog and comments.

I don’t eat fish because of the taste or smell, if the fish oil doesn’t taste like fish, is it safe to guess it doesn’t smell like fish either?

You wouldn’t notice it in Soylent.

Something to consider about your past experience:

Your disagreement with fish oil may in part be due to the quality of fish oil you were using.

Especially with fish oil, it is important to account for quality. Not only to be certain that the mercury levels are indeed safe, but also to avoid fish oil that may be rancid or poor quality due to less than stellar manufacturing processes.

Not all fish oil is created equal in this regard. If the fish oil you were using was in fact rancid or partially rancid due to poor quality assurance, it would have made your stomach upset, given you nasty fish burps, and your skin would smell like fish over prolonged use. Anything you can buy at an average grocery store/OTC pharmacy will give these results.

Try fish oil that is labeled as molecularly distilled or pharmaceutical grade, as it will remedy these problems. There are also fish oils that are flavored if you do not like the smell/taste. One good combination of both of these is Barlean’s fresh catch.

However, I do wonder if some of these problems may come up in the soylent oil mixture, especially considering that cost seems to be a big deal for proponents and high quality fish oil is not particularly cheap. Canola oil also has a bad reputation for going bad/degrading over short periods of time, often times when it hits the shelf it has already gone partially bad. By bad, I do not mean unsafe, but many of the health benefits have diminished.

I’d like to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks to everyone pointing out that the fish oil is shipped separately - that is a relief. I will experiment with it and if I can’t taste/smell it at all I may continute to add it to my Soylent preparations.

I hope they come up with a vegetarian or vegan replacement option for the oil though. Someone mentioned krill oil as being a viable (non-vegan) option. I imagine flax oil might be a decent substitute. Freshness is definitely an issue with all of these oils I believe; they degrade rapidly though possibly proper packaging (and purity of initial ingredients) may prevent this.

On the canola oil topic, is the canola “baked in” to the powder, or is it also shipped separately?

the canola oil is blended with the fish oil, if what I read is accurate.

I can second this. I once had some fishoil caps that would give me these nasty horrible burps that tasted like fish and like a moron I kept eating them thinking that was just how fishoil was supposed to be! I mentioned it to a friend (probably complaining how I dislike fishoil) and he told me they were rancid and to throw them away.

Matt is correct, the fishoil and canola oil is going to be blended in Soylent 1.0

Fish oil is not all equal. The poor ones stink. They haven’t been properly purified. Fish oil also oxidizes, so freshness and how it has been stored since production matters. Some have antioxidants added to help preserve them. If you want to spend a bit more money, try krill oil and keep it in the fridge.

The Soylent team has worked a lot on taste, according to blog posts. Discussing hypothetical taste problems is pointless. We can all taste it (or not) soon enough.

Our fish oil rocks and doesn’t affect the taste at all. As has been affirmed by many others, the oil blend is entirely optional and vegetarian/vegans can opt out of receiving it.

Sorry if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but with the fish oil vs vegan blend, what will the expiration date difference look like?

As the fish oil and canola blend is in a small vial, the Soylent powder itself will have the same shelf life, which somewhere I read said 1 year, but I don’t know if it was a member of the Soylent team or a 3rd party. I do not think they commented on the vials shelf life anywhere though.

Sealed oil tends to last 8 months or less.

Sorry if I make a small digression:
are we all sure to understand everything on the need of to include both omega 3
(EPA and DHA)

and omega 6 (linoleic acid)?