Flavor variance Soylent 1.6

I’ve been on a 90+% diet of Soylent 1.6 for almost two weeks. So far I have been very pleased with the product. I say 90 plus percent, but it’s probably been more like 99%. I have a piece of fruit, or serving of vegetables once or twice a day, and other than that it is all Soylent 1.6. One bag per day, split into three equal servings.

I have a question regarding the flavor of 1.6. When I started this journey I only ordered a weeks supply just to make sure that I would tolerate it. After mixing my first batch and letting it chill I was pleasantly surprised at the taste, and really liked it. I went ahead and changed my subscription to the 28 meal plan and had it shipped immediately. After my original first box was gone, and I started in on the new stuff which came in my second shipment, I noticed that the flavor seemed slightly different. The first box had just a slight sweet flavor, and kind of tasted like a thinner than usual pancake batter. The new stuff seems to have a somewhat salty taste to it. I can still taste the sweetness, but there is now a saltiness that accompanies it. It’s doesn’t taste bad, and it is so slight that it may just be my mind playing tricks on my taste buds.

Has anyone experienced any variance in the flavor from batch to batch, or shipment to shipment?

Yes, that is a well known QC issue with all the products.

It has happened with every version of Soylent. The explanation we have received is that because the nature of the product, being plant based. Different crops can have slight variation to their taste.

Though other neutral plant-based foods don’t vary so it’s BS. They also only use one Powder factory now to limit variation but that didn’t help.

Which ones, specifically foods that are attempting to offer a natural flavor?

I’m on my seventh box of 1.6, and have not noticed any flavor variance from one to the next. However, the other night I was going to hang out with my bff and he requested that I bring dinner, so I brought a pouch of 1.6 :smirk:. I was surprised at the difference in taste using the water from his water cooler vs. the Pur-filtered water I use at home. I thought maybe he had added something to flavor it, but no. It was neither better nor worse, just subtly different.

On version 1.5, I noticed a slight difference between some batches, but each time I stopped noticing it after a couple of servings. The batches of 1.5 produced in 2016 were distinctly different from those which came before, but it was a great change. I only had a few boxes each of 2.0, 1.4, and 1.3 but they seemed consistent to me.

A while back I suggested people try buying a gallon distilled water (usually really cheap) with the idea that distilled water is likely very similar for everyone and seeing if their Soylent was different than the water they normally use.

I’m still interested in the idea overall.

Thank you all for the replies. Yea so far it hasn’t been an issue, I just thought this batch tasted slightly different, not necessarily bad. I have been using the same water source consistently, that being the tap in my kitchen. I think i’ll purchase a water filter either for under the sink, or more likely one of the jug style ones that you fill up and keep in your fridge.

As a side note, and slightly off topic, have any of you experienced any problem with lack of sodium? I noticed that sodium is one of the things provided by Soylent, but not the full recommended daily percentage. The reason this comes to mind is because the main difference that I taste in this batch compared to the last is a slight saltiness. I wonder if their reasoning for not having the recommended daily sodium is because of flavor? Possibly they don’t want the flavor to be too salty.

I did notice during my first week and a half or so on Soylent that I would feel a little sluggish and foggy after a bicycle ride. I was taking in enough calories, about 2500 daily, but still feeling slugish after riding bike, when I wouldn’t have before being on a Soylent regimen. The last couple days I have been making sure to have plenty of salt when taking in calories outside of Soylent, and have added some salt to my water while riding. It seems to help. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I found I’d get a very slight headache at the end of 100% Soylent 1.5 days, but didn’t when I added a little less than a teaspoon of salt to each pouch.

Might be psychological, but some folks think it might be to do with the balance of sodium and potassium in your body: What exactly is the relationship between sodium and potassium?

Does distilled water leach minerals from your body or is that pseudoscience?

I’s okay for humans as best I can tell but it does affect our Reptilian Overlords which is why they use mineral water in their secret brood egg hatcheries. No more free roaming overlords for them.

Probably pseudoscience… but there are potential problems with long-term use of distilled or demineralized water. It’s a bad idea to regularly use it for eating and drinking.

Without going too deeply into it… naturally-occurring ground water has minerals in it. Distilled water has no minerals. If you drink distilled water, you’re not taking in as many minerals, and the end result is your has less. So it’s not leaching your minerals so much as you’re just not getting them. But it’s a not a make-or-break fraction of your mineral supply, especially on a short-term basis.

But it’s true that distilled water is more corrosive. Water is a solvent; it dissolves things. Water without stuff already dissolved in it is a better solvent. If you ran it through pipes, it would pick up minerals from the pipes (“leaching” minerals from the pipes.)

But you are not made of pipes. Distilled water won’t leach things from you. As soon as you drink the water, or use it in cooking, it’s no longer distilled. It’s mixed with lots of other things that are dissolved in it, including minerals - minerals from the food, minerals from your saliva and stomach, etc.

Despite the corrosive nature of very pure water, the main problem is still that if you drink water with no minerals in it… then you’re not getting those minerals. The recommended daily intakes for minerals from food can assume we’re getting normal levels of minerals from our water… both from drinking it, and from making our food with it. Using distilled water removes that source of minerals.

But there are some other potential problems from the corrosive aspect… since very pure water is a better solvent, if you drink it, will it irritate your mouth or throat? Possible. Probably not as much as vodka, or not even as badly as lemonade, but it possible. And most foods contain traces of bad things, like naturally occurring heavy metals in rice. Since those metals are generally organically-bound, we usually don’t absorb them. But is very pure water more likely to leach the metals from the rice? It’s not easy to rule that out, and if it’s true, you may get more exposure to the heavy metals because you use distilled water for cooking.

The risks I’m talking about are very speculative, but they’re not easy to completely dismiss, either. What we do know, for sure, is that we evolved drinking normally mineralized groundwater, not distilled or demineralized water. We’ve probably evolved coping mechanisms for any problems with normal water, and we’re less likely to have coping mechanisms for any problems with distilled water.

Not too concerned about being low in minerals on a 100% Soylent diet. I wonder if RL took into consideration the contents of the water that goes into 2.0, though.

RL wouldn’t need to, since the Daily Values were already created with the water in mind.

The RDA is assuming you also get the average tap water from the US and is just the delta on top of that? But even with EPA limits it varies a lot.

How does that affect the flavor? Can you taste the salt in there with that small of an amount added?

With 1.5, it made it a tiny bit more savoury to my palate.

Which was interesting, as initially I tried two somewhat heaped teaspoons, and that made it too salty to drink. A little goes a long way.

With 1.6, I haven’t had a lot of 100% days, and I think I only tried salt today. Similar effect to 1.5 I think, although maybe I’m noticing less of a taste change? (Taste is so subjective though, and I don’t think my palate is particularly sensitive or refined.)

Yes, but what are they going to do, create a different Daily Value for each county in the country? And make manufacturers produce a different label for selling in each county?

Fortunately, it’s not typically a very large difference, and people in areas with very unusual water usually know it.

It’s well-studied, and few sources are at the extremes.

They shouldn’t assume you are getting anything. Just tell you how much you need of everything.